Summer transfer window 2021

zab6359

1 minute ago, MessiWillSignForVilla said:

A tweet that perfectly encaptures why this thread is so annoying. There has been absolutely zero information from the club to suggest that is true, but people just assume it is, just like how many in here have been writing up fantasy transfer lists with no basis in reality then just assumed that's who the club are targeting.

And then for some reason people are throwing their toys out the pram because their wild assumptions with no basis turned out to be wrong!

"Done zero since arriving"? Like he would **** know!

Fifa and FM are to blame. 

All these people who know about random players in European leagues who will clearly be the next big thing. 

6 minutes ago, Sulberto21 said:

From next summer onwards we don't need to buy more than one or two players per window. These young uns with a season of experience will hopefully be able to get us up the league.

That's barring any major outgoings of course.

I probably would have liked a better option than Steer to come in but he's passable for a game or two.

Is Romero still available? Any free agent can be signed outside of a transfer window I believe. 

10 minutes ago, Tayls said:

That’s fine and I don’t think you are having a go. Perhaps it’s the way I’m putting my point across which is allowing some posters to think that I’m demanding NSWE leave immediately or something… 

I mentioned above I’m happy with the signings as individuals - we have also signed some really talented youth players as well. But, I think we are now very unbalanced. If we have signed three players to replace Jack… then those three players need to be able to fit into the team somehow… so we aren’t just replacing Jack, are we? In addition to that, we haven’t addressed the CM problem which has been our main issue for years. 

The way that our business has been carried this summer makes me think the owners are reining it in a bit. 

In reality we have just brought in players to meet Smith's system, he would have had an overall decision on what positions he needs filling and I guess Lange would have found the players. Problem is with this way of playing we find it very hard to break teams down, because he don't play with that 'big midfielder', we have always been a bit tippy tappy, and always a bit weak. If it works, great, but we will always struggle against the Brentford's and Burnley's until he decides we need that big unit in the middle.

Just now, nick76 said:

Completely agree about the stupid “done zero” point he made.  I am surprised we haven’t made any MacKenzie type signing though.

I think realistically it might take a season or two before those types of signings are made as we're still relatively new back in the league so a more ready made player is needed.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Exaggeration!

We haven’t brought anybody that you would say needed the skill set of MacKenzie have we? Nobody expected what you are saying but also nobody expected every signing to be well known desirable players we already knew well.

I mean fans come up with all these names I’ve never heard of, clips of players from everywhere…the kind of thing MacKenzie does professionally and successfully.  We haven’t brought anybody like that have we?

How do you know he's been tasked to find gems "nobody has heard of" at all?  None of us do...  It's more likely some have unrealistic expectations about his role, just because he worked at Leicester when they signed Kante/Mahrez.

3 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

In reality we have just brought in players to meet Smith's system, he would have had an overall decision on what positions he needs filling and I guess Lange would have found the players. Problem is with this way of playing we find it very hard to break teams down, because he don't play with that 'big midfielder', we have always been a bit tippy tappy, and always a bit weak. If it works, great, but we will always struggle against the Brentford's and Burnley's until he decides we need that big unit in the middle.

Our first half against Burnley last season was some of the best football I've seen us play in years. It wasn't lack of muscle in that game. It was poor decision making and end product in the final 3rd. 

When we have all our players fit, that issue should be addressed. 

Edited by DCJonah
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, KMitch said:

How do you know he's been tasked to find gems "nobody has heard of" at all?  None of us do...  It's more likely some have unrealistic expectations about his role, just because he worked at Leicester when they signed Kante/Mahrez.

He wasn't even there when they signed Kante, he'd already left.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Zatman said:

no he should have brought in the next Kante, Ronaldo, Mahrez, Donnarumma and Ramos and if selfish a surprise

In fairness he identifies the names and the team do the rest. Maybe Dacoure, Matar Saar, Alvarez and a load of others etc were on his list but the deals couldn’t be done by the team?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Completely agree about the stupid “done zero” point he made.  I am surprised we haven’t made any MacKenzie type signing though.

What even is a Mackenzie type signing? We literally know nothing about the guy and his job description.

We have unrealistic and unfounded expectations, and then get disappointed when these aren't met.

I'm not upset but a little disappointed. The midfield that was for the most part, our weakest area for quite some time and has not been strengthened. We can go on about Bailey, Buendia and Ings but none of them upgrade the area of the pitch we most need upgrading. I would've forgone Ings this summer if it meant bringing in a high level CM/DM tbh, even though cover and competition for Watkins was needed. Not replacing Heaton has disappointed me also because I have no real faith in Steer at this level if called upon.

That being said bringing in 5 players to integrate into the squad is a significant number which ever way you cut it. Decent players or not, time is of the essence to get them gelled and playing as a cohesive unit. If not we could end up sliding backwards. For that reason I don't think anyone can complain too much. Could more have been done, yes. Are we desperate, probably not.  

1 minute ago, Keyblade said:

What even is a Mackenzie type signing? We literally know nothing about the guy and his job description.

We have unrealistic and unfounded expectations, and then get disappointed when these aren't met.

It's very strange. Maybe I've not noticed it in the past but it really does seem to be a regular thing. 

Just now, avfc1982am said:

I'm not upset but a little disappointed. The midfield that was for the most part, our weakest area for quite some time and has not been strengthened. We can go on about Bailey, Buendia and Ings but none of them upgrade the area of the pitch we most need upgrading. I would've forgone Ings this summer if it meant bringing in a high level CM/DM tbh, even though cover and competition for Watkins was needed. Not replacing Heaton has disappointed me also because I have no real faith in Steer at this level if called upon.

That being said bringing in 5 players to integrate into the squad is a significant number which ever way you cut it. Decent players or not, time is of the essence to get them gelled and playing as a cohesive unit. If not we could end up sliding backwards. For that reason I don't think anyone can complain too much. Could more have been done, yes. Are we desperate, probably not.  

I think wide players and another striker were massive priorities. And that was before Jack left. 

Would we really be better if we'd signed a CM and say only Buendia?

4 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Our first half against Burnley last season was some of the best football I've seen us play in years. It wasn't lack of muscle in that game. It was poor decision making and end product in the final 3rd. 

When we have all our players fit, that issue should be addressed. 

I hope your right mate. We will know, as when we struggle to break teams down the hoof starts. We have seen it already this season.

I don't think we'll be anywhere near European qualification this season. To do so would be to argue we had a more competitive squad than  5 of Man City,  Man Utd, Chelsea, Liverpool, Spurs, Leicester, West Ham, Everton, Leeds and Arsenal....yes,  even Arsenal, who however shit they are I'm sure will still finish above us.

Whereas last season's signings had a sense of synergy to them I get a different vibe this year. Bailey and Buendía seem like sound enough recruitments bug by no means premier league guarantees.  Ings may well be that but would seem at odds with how Smith likes his sides to play. Young should be no more than a back up left back but has already found himself playing in 3 different positions in 3 games, and none of them particularly competently. 

I haven't lost the faith but I do feel this season will struggle to come close to some of the highs of last season. 

4 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

Its the instant society we live in, as I said on another post lets be patient....if we blood them right we a conveyer belt of talent ready to come through alongside 3-4 big buys each summer - Villa want a sustainable future not just constant sticking plaster overhauls

People demanding europe as if we have been in it in the last 10 years, its comical

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1