Summer transfer window 2021

zab6359

1 minute ago, MarkLillis said:

I can understand why people feel a little down about the window.

It can be summed up in two words

J*** G*******

WE DO NOT SPEAK THESE WORDS!!!!!!

1 minute ago, barry'sboots said:

I don't believe that it is FFP.  From what I had understood, our big spending would have had to stop at Bailey if Jack had not moved BUT Jack moving means we have booked £100m profit and FFP allows you to leverage this significantly as new fees can be amortised over the deal periods so we could, in theory, have spent significantly more than the £100m in addition IF the owners had the aspirations and cash to support this.

You're right, I believe we had something like £67m headroom without selling Greasy so even without his sale Buendia and Bailey could have come in.

That means only Ings has been bought with the £100m.

There's clearly cash available from an FFP viewpoint to invest in another midfielder, whether the owners are reining in their spending (at least temporarily) or Smith has told them firmly he doesn't want anyone else I don't know. 

2 minutes ago, MarkLillis said:

I can understand why people feel a little down about the window.

It can be summed up in two words

Jack Grealish.

I think it’s also because they haven’t seen one of our marquee signing even play yet. Let’s at least see how we look when Bailey is fully fit playing in our best 11.

My gut is that we have dropped a clanger by not securing another CM. Overall window felt pretty good, I just would have thought we could have pulled 30-40 out of the bag to get someone and still be a low net spend.

What I don’t know is how much they believe in Sanson, and just how much the kids are going to push on. Chuk Rock seemed overwhelmed the other day.

Time will tell. I can’t buy into all this negativity though. We won’t be going down. Tread water for a season - quite possibly. Still expect us to kick on a little though.

I do think we simply have so much coming on tap from the youth in the next two years that there may be a view to pause on the spending and wait and see. I can buy into it. Someone like a Winkels feels like where we should have landed to me.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, HKP90 said:

I agree with you, but i’m not sure when we will see our best players on the pitch. Could be Christmas at this rate.

It’s not ideal but we actually have options and alternatives now…

We could set up in a number of ways and with different players.

Liverpool style front 3?

Watkins.     Ings.     Bailey

McGinn/Sanson.     Buendia

Luiz

(everyone  knows our back 4 & GK)

We can alternate players and not really lose much or bring in different qualities, off the bench too (for a change). Targett and Cash will be required to provide width.

I wonder how we would fit both McGinn & Sanson into the team… maybe Dean prefers “intense pressing” players such as these guys rather than having a typical DM, they will battle and chase for the ball relentlessly… so will forward players like Buendia and Watkins. That aggressive approach will help us but requires a lot of fitness/energy/stamina…

Alternative:

Watkins

Ings                   Bailey

McGinn/Sanson.        Buendia 
                           Luiz

We also have Traore who I would argue has the quality and talent to be a starter or rotate and feature heavily from the bench. I expect him to be even better this season and can’t resist the entertainment and silky skills & goals he contributes. 😆

Beyond that, if El Ghazi can kick on from his Brentford performance, we have players that can fill in and provide some sort of competition or extra motivation  for starters to be on top of their game.

Then we have younger players to come in, Ramsey seemingly the most prominent/capable atm, he’s shown some development/improvement too… played well in his last game…

I would agree that we lack strength, physicality and aerial prowess in midfield but Dean possibly has a different approach that could work out well and better than we expect… I think we are going to be an aggressive, pressing team with a lot of attacking threat and goals in us. Buendia is going to create plenty, Bailey is going to be deadly and frighten the opposition with his pace and skill. Watkins is going to work his arse off and get goals, Ings will be our deadly finisher with vital/crucial goals, even out of the blue sometimes…

It’s not so bad guys!!!

But can we have another signing? 😆

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Why can't it be in the middle? Why black or white? 

Its been a perfectly fine transfer window

I believe that we improved the defence last year, we should improve the attack this year and then next year we can improve the midfield with the sounder knowledge of what our youngsters are all about 

I’m happy with the signings as individuals. But I can’t accept that the window has been middle ground because, in my view, the balance is way off. Defence was good last year, but we have now lost JT from the coaching side of things. We have lost our best attacking player and replaced with (apparently) three other players. Our midfield has been our weakest area for years, so why wait another season to address it when we could well end up relegated again because of the decisions made this window… makes no sense to me. 

CM needed to be addressed, and it hasn’t been. 

6 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

And he's been adequately replaced. If you were to ask me to find one player who would come to Villa to replace him, I couldn't come up with a better replacement than Emi Buendia if I tried. We've also added Bailey to replace his output. Overall, we're a much stronger outfit when you add Ings to the equation and the filling out of the squad with Young and Tuanzebe. We've had a smashing window.

Come on, this is massive hyperbole.

It's not been terrible as some have said but it's not been 'smashing' either (which implies 10/10). It's been somewhere in the middle, maybe 6/10. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Tayls said:

You think this has been a brilliant transfer window, I think this has been a dreadful window… means I’m ignorant? 

I can't see how you can say it has been dreadful mate? Honestly, i can't see how that viewpoint has been reached. We've signed, IMO, 5 very good players. 

Yes, we've lost one world class player, but overall, I would say we're stronger. 

All my opinion and not having a go. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, est1874 said:

He's just signed a new 5-year deal. If he's the standout star in a poor Southampton team this season, he's going to cost any prospective buyer far more than we're willing to spend on a single player. 

He had 4 years left on deal he signed last year

1 minute ago, Tayls said:

I’m happy with the signings as individuals. But I can’t accept that the window has been middle ground because, in my view, the balance is way off. Defence was good last year, but we have now lost JT from the coaching side of things. We have lost our best attacking player and replaced with (apparently) three other players. Our midfield has been our weakest area for years, so why wait another season to address it when we could well end up relegated again because of the decisions made this window… makes no sense to me. 

CM needed to be addressed, and it hasn’t been. 

Do you really think we'll be relegated because we lost JT and haven't improved our midfield, the same midfield that helped us get 55 points last season? Are you actually struggling to come up with 3 worse teams than us right now?

13 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

If people think this is a bad window can I gently remind you of summer 2014 when we brought in Phillipe Senderos, Ally Cissoko,  Carlos Sanchez,  a past-it Joe Cole and Kieran Richardson?

Thank you and goodnight.

It's not midnight yet, get your ass back in here... #Teamnosleep

3 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

You have to remember on here that if you post anything to suggest we didn’t have a good transfer window and everything this season will be absolutely f****** brilliant, you’ll be labelled a moaner and asked to stop being so negative. 

Personally, I don’t think it’s been a dreadful window, but it hasn’t been a good one like last summer. If the club have ambitions of getting into Europe then they’re in for a nasty shock. At best, I think we’ll stand still which oddly, I’m absolutely fine with. I’m also pretty confident that Smith will come under real pressure at some point this season. I’d like to think he’ll keep his job unless we’re hovering around 16th/17th at Xmas. 

I agree with this. I’d be surprised if Villa get European football. Don’t want to be an expert after the event and say “ told ya so “  but again i wouldn’t be gutted if we did consolidate. We have to incrementally build. Unless you have a freak season where you totally exceed what you should be capable of. Leicester were an outlier. It certainly accelerated their progress much faster than it would if they didn’t have that season they had. I’m certain of it. Bailey is a signing im excited about because it suggests ambition. Buendia, he’s been asked to step up. He’s not coming down from someone bigger than us. The fee is none of his worry and im sure he’ll come good but im realistic and i do think his form might be scratchy for a while. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Xela said:

I can't see how you can say it has been dreadful mate? Honestly, i can't see how that viewpoint has been reached. We've signed, IMO, 5 very good players. 

Yes, we've lost one world class player, but overall, I would say we're stronger. 

All my opinion and not having a go. 

I would say 3 very good players and 2 not bad ones. Remember Young is 36 now and Tuanzebe hasn't progressed in 2 years.