Summer transfer window 2021

zab6359

4 minutes ago, VillaFaninLondon said:

But we've lost Greasy which clearly you have to take into account.

and signed Ings, Buendia and Bailey who combined got about 5 times what Jack did in goal contributions last season

6 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Are West Ham really better? Zouma at Stoke amd Everton was poor, Kral and Vlasic coming from Russian league which is not guaranteed to step up

I really rate their signings. Zouma has improved a lot and is a regular for France and played quite a lot for a very good Chelsea team. Kral and Vlasic come very highly rated, much like Bailey did with us. They've also kept Rice who was rumoured to be heavily on Chelsea's radar and Benrahma looks a new signing too going on the first few games.

• Like 1

When we came up did people really think we'd have the perfect European quality squad 3 summer windows later?

We keep building the squad and can add other pieces next summer. We don't need to do everything right now. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I’m a bit disappointed with the window as I’ve said many times before! We’re probably two short of where I thought we’d be having lost Grealish but it is what it is. 

Let’s hope we can do the business this year and try to improve on last season. I’m really hoping Ramsey has a great season as I really think he has the tools to kick on and become a very good player.

Im surprised JPB and Chuk haven’t gone out on loan - maybe they’ll surprise too. 

1 minute ago, Pissflaps said:

The only position you can argue we have improved is striker. Ings.

Wingers? No. Nobody is proven like Grealish in this league we are replacing him with. Bailey who knows, Buendia one season in the league historically. We are not better in this position than before as things stand.

Midfield? No better.

Defence? Young is versatile. Same for axel. We still lack numbers even there.

Keepers? No better.

So all in all nope.

Bailey is as well hyped in the football world as Grealish is, just because he doesnt play in the mighty English league. he was wanted for 80 million 2 seasons ago by CHelsea before they signed Pulisic

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Pissflaps said:

The only position you can argue we have improved is striker. Ings.

Wingers? No. Nobody is proven like Grealish in this league we are replacing him with. Bailey who knows, Buendia one season in the league historically. We are not better in this position than before as things stand.

Midfield? No better.

Defence? Young is versatile. Same for axel. We still lack numbers even there.

Keepers? No better.

So all in all nope.

How is midfield not better? Ramsay is a better player than last year. Chuk has been promoted now to the senior squad. Sanson is now fit. 

Defence is easily better. Young is a great utility player to have and Axel is twice the player Engels was. 

Edited by DCJonah

1 minute ago, Zatman said:

and signed Ings, Buendia and Bailey who combined got about 5 times what Jack did in goal contributions last season

But I don't think we can play 13 players, so you would have to take of the goal contributions of the others that they replace as well?? 

• Like 1

Just now, Zatman said:

Bailey is as well hyped in the football world as Grealish is, just because he doesnt play in the mighty English league. he was wanted for 80 million 2 seasons ago by CHelsea before they signed Pulisic

And again he may flop here. To claim it's a better window because we have replaced Grealish with him, who like it or not would have delivered for us if he would have stayed is mental.

FYI I hope he is a great success but right now who knows .

30 minutes ago, CarryOnVilla said:

When have they ever specified it’s a European push this season? All they’ve said is to improve on last season 

“We finished 11th last season and we probably felt we were one or two places better than that. We left too many points out there in the back end of the season. Our aim is certainly to improve on 11th place and to try and get into Europe.” Dean Smith himself said this in the AVTV interview. 

2 minutes ago, VillaFaninLondon said:

I really rate their signings. Zouma has improved a lot and is a regular for France and played quite a lot for a very good Chelsea team. Kral and Vlasic come very highly rated, much like Bailey did with us. They've also kept Rice who was rumoured to be heavily on Chelsea's radar and Benrahma looks a new signing too going on the first few games.

Zouma played 5 games for France in the last 3 seasons hardly a regular. Vlasic did nothing in the Premier League last time out and doing it in Russian league isnt the same as the Bundesliga. Is far from the same hype

Just now, barry'sboots said:

But I don't think we can play 13 players, so you would have to take of the goal contributions of the others that they replace as well?? 

I was just thinking that! 

I am intrigued to see how Smith will play both Watkins and Ings in the same side. For the life of me, I can’t work out how he will! 

1 minute ago, barry'sboots said:

eh but Barkley and Grealish are gone from the starting line up

Bloomin' eck....

We were never going to be able to replace Grealish, unfortunatley without European football, it's not going to happen. End of story. I was surprised we got Leon Bailey to be honest, that's about the best we can hope for in that sort of position. Buendia is an upgrade on Barkley and Ings is a welcome addition. Yes it would have been nice to supplement the midfield with another body, but a bit of perspective is needed here, we're only into our 3rd season back at the top tier... It ain't going to happen overnight, the club have, in my eyes earned our trust with the steps forward it has taken over the last few years, they know what they're doing.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, DCJonah said:

How is midfield not better? Ramsay is a better player than last year. Chuk has been promoted now to the senior squad. Sanson is now fit. 

Defence is easily better. Young is a great utility player to have and Axel is twice the player Engels was. 

You believe Ramsey and Chuk can be counted and relied on through a whole season to contribute and turn games? From what you have seen so far you honestly believe they are ready for a full season against some exceptional players in this league?

Just now, Delphinho123 said:

I was just thinking that! 

I am intrigued to see how Smith will play both Watkins and Ings in the same side. For the life of me, I can’t work out how he will! 

By playing 2 up front. Simple.

Based on some of the comments, I'm trying to figure out how 10 clubs finished above us, without " Super Jacky Grealish ".

The man, the myth, the legend, worth more than 10 players combined.

I imagine the below is what people picture when they think of him and realise how doomed we are:

Just your average Asian football. From Shaolin Soccer. | Shaolin soccer,  Soccer, Google funny

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, dudevillaisnice said:

“We finished 11th last season and we probably felt we were one or two places better than that. We left too many points out there in the back end of the season. Our aim is certainly to improve on 11th place and to try and get into Europe.” Dean Smith himself said this in the AVTV interview. 

“Try”

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DCJonah said:

When we came up did people really think we'd have the perfect European quality squad 3 summer windows later?

We keep building the squad and can add other pieces next summer. We don't need to do everything right now. 

I think the expectation has come from the owners and club to the fans.  We’ve got excited because they’ve excited us.  What they’ve talked about in terms of ambitions, goals and aims.  Otherwise I would’ve been more than happy with gradual progression.  

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Pissflaps said:

You believe Ramsey and Chuk can be counted and relied on through a whole season to contribute and turn games? From what you have seen so far you honestly believe they are ready for a full season against some exceptional players in this league?

Their contributions will be better than what we had last year. 

You'd also think Luiz will continue to improve. 

It's better than last season. 

Edited by DCJonah
  • Like 1