Summer transfer window 2021

zab6359

4 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

I really don't want a loan unless there is some sort of obligation to buy or whatever these new fancy loans are nowadays.
We're either bringing through our youth, or not. I'd rather not improve a player for another team. I think we're past that now...?

Do you know if we have a loan to buy deal on Tuanzebe. Be disappointed if we haven't.

1 minute ago, blandy said:

I think there's a slight area where there's a tad more to it.

Yes, wages (including any sign on fee and pension and NI contributions), but rather than "amortisation" I'd put it as "transfer fee paid, timing of payments, agents fees, VAT and transfer levy - the amount and timing of outgoings to third parties, basically. Timing matters, not just for pure accounting purposes, but because for many clubs large chunks of income (mainly from TV, season ticket sales and sponsorship) are provided at specific times of the year, and this helps with payments out - the actual cashflow together with the date(s).   If the club doesn't have owners with lots of available cash, then they'd need to take out short term loans, which adds more cost.

You are correct to list these items out, the all matter.

I am just trying to show that people shouldn't be looking at the "net transfer spend" to make informed opinions about our transfer window.

I understand that's it's an easy to present and digest figure, but reality is much more complicated than that.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, The Inspiration said:

Would maitland-niles make sense with guilbert and hourihane off? CDM and RB cover. Can’t say I watched him much at the bags last year

I think AMN suffers from being too adaptable. He can play RB, DM, CM and RM and what ends up happening is he get moved and never gets to nail down a spot. 
I think he’s a decent player but not what we need right now. 

7 minutes ago, Czarnikjak said:

I am just trying to show that people shouldn't be looking at the "net transfer spend" to make informed opinions about our transfer window.

Oh yeah, I got that. I was just trying to add to your point with some more complexity, to dispel any notion that it's just "this much in, this much out" in a transfer window

10 minutes ago, blandy said:

Oh yeah, I got that. I was just trying to add to your point with some more complexity, to dispel any notion that it's just "this much in, this much out" in a transfer window

There's certainly a belief among some that spending money equals showing ambition, and while I do get that, there are so many factors to take into account. We're in a slightly awkward position as we don't have European football yet, so we have to work a little hard to find or convince players to buy into the project - and we certainly aren't looking for players who are just going to come for the money. I think it's been a little tricky to find players who can definitely improve the first team, have the right attitude and are available for a fair price. 

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, striker said:

Leicester in talks to sign Lookman.

Will be a decent squad depth player for them.

We have El Ghazi and Bailey now occupying that position so we wouldn't really need Lookman.

He was a player we should have signed 2 or 3 seasons ago. Ship has sailed on him now though.

According to Twitter, the outside chance deals that could still happen for Villa today:

- McKennie

- Damsgaard

- Lingard

- Kamara

.........Don't hold your breath or be disappointed when nothing happens. I reckon its over (thank God!)

57 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

I really don't want a loan unless there is some sort of obligation to buy or whatever these new fancy loans are nowadays.
We're either bringing through our youth, or not. I'd rather not improve a player for another team. I think we're past that now...?

That's why you loan a ready made player the issue is you get Barkley or drinkwater sometimes.