Summer transfer window 2021

zab6359

We need a high quality CM maybe tallish and silky on the ball dominating and can control the game... spend 30/40 million who cares it’s required and can change our season hugely .. difference between finishing 10th or 7th ... it would give us all great confidence in the team and strength

11 minutes ago, est1874 said:

The self-satisfaction of those who can't bring themselves to ever question any strategy or decision taken by the club

Most of us, probably all of us, do not know the full strategy the club has with our transfers. Some people are accepting that as CP and NSWE have hardly put a foot wrong in 3 years that a strategy we are unaware of may actually exist. Developing youth and fiscal management are key aspects of the strategy and people do not understand how these are specifically impacting our transfers. Simply saying that the club is missing an opportunity or suggesting we buy certain players may be contrary to the club's strategy and some people appear not to appreciate this.

Edited by Peter Griffin
fixed a typo
  • Like 3

Just now, dont_do_it_doug. said:

I rate Jesse Lingard highly, but I can't see him being an automatic starter and surely that is what he is looking for. Would be an odd one, but very much welcomed. 

At his age I expect contract term and salary will be a key consideration. This would be his last chance for a very lucrative move

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, fightoffyour said:

Buy Axel and Januzaj so that we can loan Lingard.

Since we already have Tuanzebe on loan, can we still loan Januzaj???  Someone, please!!!!  I need to know...  🤣

• Haha 1

What I would say is that I'm really excited by the Academy. I genuinely believe 5 or 6 of them will make it. More than that will have EFL or other European league career.

However. 

Carney 17, Philogene-Bidace 19, Kesler 18, Iroegbunam 19 (just!), Barry 18 (just!), Sinisalo 19, A. Ramsey 18, Bogarde 17.

It's asking for literally Class of 92 levels of success for us to put 4-5 of them in the first team squad in the next 12 months. The game is very different to back then too and even then many thought they would fail. Most will need loans and games out of the league for the next 2-5 years before they are ready for the Prem.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Peter Griffin said:

At his age I expect contract term and salary will be a key consideration. This would be his last chance for a very lucrative move

He's a couple of years older than I thought. In which case, I am much less enamoured with the idea. 

1 minute ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

He's a couple of years older than I thought. In which case, I am much less enamoured with the idea. 

I am guessing he would want 4 years and 100k+. He may be great for a couple of years but I think we would be desperately trying (and failing) to move him on after that

• Like 1

I've mentioned Lingard a few times before as I think he'd suit Smith's style but I think he'd divide opinion a lot more if people weren't desperate for one more signing. From memory when Lingard has been mentioned in the past, even earlier this window, it's been met with widespread mockery

3 minutes ago, skarroki said:

I've mentioned Lingard a few times before as I think he'd suit Smith's style but I think he'd divide opinion a lot more if people weren't desperate for one more signing. From memory when Lingard has been mentioned in the past, even earlier this window, it's been met with widespread mockery

I would love him on loan or a 2 year deal but not longer than that. As we can't get him on loan and he would be a fool to sign a 2 year contract I don't expect us to get him

32 minutes ago, KMitch said:

Saw a rumor on Twitter where we're negotiating with Man United for Lingard on a permanent deal... 

Unpopular opinion, but I would love him here.  He gets a lot of flack for his antics off the field, but he's been dynamite for West Ham and England in 2021.  We'd have serious strength and depth across our attack.

Based on West Ham wanting him and not happened I don't believe this rumour in the slightest

33 minutes ago, Pissflaps said:

I am all for not making panic signings.

I am all for a well thought out considered recruitment strategy.

I am generally very very happy with the owners.

But even surely the happiest of fans must see we have big holes in the squad. All it will take is a bit of covid and injuries and we are in trouble?

2 years removed from the championship. Of course we will have holes.  Just the normal evolution of our squad. Took West Ham 4 years to hit the lofty heights of 7th after coming up via the playoffs. Perspective and all that. 

• Like 3