Summer transfer window 2021

zab6359

Just now, PaulMcGrath_5 said:

I don't think it's personal--Smith just doesn't rate him, imo.

I always thought he looked okay and had some potential. I like his ability to go forward but he wasn't great at tracking back and he needed help there which is something that can be thought and something he should be able to improve

1 hour ago, foreveryoung said:

Ramsey is okay, but struggles to make 90 minutes, Chuka has proved he's just not ready for the Premier league, Nakamba is still Championship, Luiz and McGinn a bit temperamental and Sanson, I'm not sure he is going to make it.

Ramsey was our best player in his last game and still learning his trade.

Chukwuemeka has proved he isn't ready? He's started 1 game - due to 3 or 4 players being missing or injured who would be ahead of - and looked good. He is the next superstar and needs to be brought through.

Nakamba is a championship level player, I agree.

Luiz and McGinn are inconsistent. McGinn really is an attacking player who presses defences, not one who shields them. Luiz is a tidy player and we're all waiting for him to find his end of 19/20 form. 

Sanson just hasn't been fit yet. When he is we'll see what he's about.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

Yup because our midfield will have been played through (like butter) every other match.

That didn't happen in the previous 2 prem games. 

I think the negativity over our midfield is OTT.

If anything it's stronger than last season. It's still our weak point in the squad but its not as bad as people make out.

Edited by DCJonah
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Do you not think the owners deserve some trust at this point though? 

I'm not having a go at the owners. But I very much feel as if we've missed out on our targets and lost by far our best player, and I genuinely think we are more at risk of struggling because of it. We'll see how important Grealish was to us. I've said it before, but I acknowledge this is my subjective fear. I have been optimistic at the start of most seasons, except probably Bruce's last summer and I am absolutely not optimistic for this season. Let's see anyway.

Edited by Rolta

5 minutes ago, leighavfc said:

What about Cleverley though? 

Didn't he boss the midfield in the Watford game? At least the first half.

Don't get me wrong, he's dogshit, but says a little bit about our midfield options if we are planning on playing a 4-4-2.

Still need a better version of Nakamba that can play in a 2 man midfield. Unless Sanson can be immense in a 2 man midfield, I don't think any of out other midfielders are suited to it.

If we don't sign anyone, I am rather excited by the level of faith placed in the youngsters and I look forward to seeing them take a step up.  I assume a certain level of faith has been placed in them that the club won't pay well beyond what they value a player to be worth. 

It will be a slow start to the season I think, and perhaps we are missing a chance, however I am still excited and optimistic that things will come good once players have settled and gotten over injuries, and in the case of some of the kids, once they've gotten some game time under their belts. 

I appreciate why others will be more frustrated, I am just choosing to not worry too much about and find the positives for the moment. Less stressful, though modifying expectations for how the next couple of months go is probably necessary. However, I still expect us - by the seasons end to be among the same cohort of clubs as last season.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Rodders said:

If we don't sign anyone, I am rather excited by the level of faith placed in the youngsters and I look forward to seeing them take a step up.  I assume a certain level of faith has been placed in them that the club won't pay well beyond what they value a player to be worth. 

It will be a slow start to the season I think, and perhaps we are missing a chance, however I am still excited and optimistic that things will come good once players have settled and gotten over injuries, and in the case of some of the kids, once they've gotten some game time under their belts. 

I appreciate why others will be more frustrated, I am just choosing to not worry too much about and find the positives for the moment. Less stressful, though modifying expectations for how the next couple of months go is probably necessary. However, I still expect us - by the seasons end to be among the same cohort of clubs as last season.

Great post. 

I would personally much prefer a steady build up of points and then a build up in fitness and continuation of form from then on for the rest of the season, rather than the cataclysmic collapse of it at the mid season point. 

Tortoise and the hare type shit. 

Edited by Steero113
  • Like 3

Spurs are a keeper error away vs Watford from only having 7pts from 3 games. Manure smashed Leeds who I assume many who think we will struggle think they they will finish above us. It's pointless making predictions based on 3 games with international break to allow players not quite fit to get up to speed. 

Edited by Kiwivillan
  • Like 4

Personally, I can't wait to see Bailey and Buendia at full fitness, add a fully fit Bert with Ings and Watkins, we'll have more than enough to beat most prem defences. Yes a ball playing DM would make it pretty much perfect, but, I can't see that happening today. 

I'm still excited to see our new lads play and I think it's easy to forget the talent we've brought in while obsessing over a DM 

1 hour ago, Jareth said:

To all those who are gathered today. Lest it never be forgotten in one's wishes and ambitions for AVFC. That on this sacred day, not so many years ago, we signed Simon farkin Dawkins. Amen.

January 2020 deadline day we signed Borja Baston

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

My summary of the window. We've tried to be clever. We've signed players who can cover multiple positions - sure that gives us options - but we're not really sure what our best 11 or best formation.

I also don't think we are good enough to be worrying about cover for the first 11. Upgrade the first 11 the lesser lights then become the cover.