Summer transfer window 2021

zab6359

3 hours ago, Delphinho123 said:

If all teams didn't have to play with a midfield, we'd finish in the top 4. This is a helluva side..

---------------------Watkins--------------------
Buendia--------------------------------Bailey

Targett-----Mings-----Konsa-----Cash
-------------------Martinez---------------------

Shame.

It's literally nowhere near the top 4 teams though. It's miles off. Even if Buendia plays wide left (which I doubt he will) only 1 (or 2 of them at best) would get in. On top of that, their strength in depth is leagues ahead. We have El Ghazi - they have Jota, Werner, Greenwood or Foden. 

That's why this summer has been so disappointing - we are a worse team than last season yet all the top 4 (and Leicester) have strengthened. 

Let me know if you disagree:

Liverpool (arguable 2x -> Watkins for Fimino/ argument for Konsa > Konate. I've never seen Konate play, so won't comment):

---------------------Firmino--------------------
Mane-------------------------------Salah

Robertson-----Konate-----VVD-----TAA
-------------------Allison---------------------

Chelsea (1x -> possibly Martinez? They play a back 3, but if they lined up like-for-like)

---------------------Lukaku--------------------
Havertz--------------------------------Mount

Chilwell-----Thiago Silva----Rudiger-----James
-------------------Mendy---------------------

United (1x -> Martinez > De Gea):

---------------------Cavani--------------------
Rashford--------------------------------Sancho

Shaw-----Varane-----Maguire-----AWB
-------------------De Gea---------------------

City (1x -> would take Watkins > Torres/Jesus/everyone unless the play Jack/KDB false 9). If they get Kane, this is 0):

--------------Torres (possibly Kane)-------
Grealish--------------------------------Mahrez

Cancelo-----Dias-----Stones-----Walker
-------------------Ederson---------------------

18 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

For some, perhaps. I’m more focused and excited on us signing players we need rather than stockpiling and chasing any old player. 

I’ll feel a sense of relief more than anything when we finally sign a decent central midfielder!

My opinion (did anyone ask?) is this except completely rearranged. Unlike some, perhaps, I think we have decent central midfield options, but I'm more focused on us signing an exciting central midfielder, where I'll feel a sense of relief more than anything, finally.

While I absolutely agree midfield is our current priority, we have numbers in there and we do have good players. Now, we changed our plan last season and the end of the covid season to stop our leaky defence. Maybe we need to do something similar to shore up our midfield, dont expose them in a two or too much work to do between defence and mid or mid and attack and you might see much improved performances. 

On transfers, we had other priorities and midfield is now the flavour of the panic.

The order of priority for me was this (I know Purslow has said Ings, Buendia and Bailey were all a response to Grealish but ill be shocked if we werent looking at creativity and another striker)

1. More creativity: Buendia

2. Striker for competition and change in formation: Ings

3. Back up defender: Tuanzebe

4. Competition at Left back: Young

Then Grealish left: Bailey

5. Then midfield......

13 minutes ago, Xela said:

How do you know that? We've supposedly bid for ESR and JWP at some point this summer so the club are definitely looking at the midfield. 

It's a complete load of bollocks isn't it?  My ignore list is going to get a bit lengthier this season I think.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Xela said:

I'm sure there are some people that are more interested in us just signing player after player. Its like the thrill of the speculation and chase is the best thing. When they sign they become irrelevant. I get it, its exciting. The dopamine hit of the signing, the positive vibes of the player being interviewed and praising the club. It's thrilling to watch. How about giving the current team a chance though? 

FWIW I think we'll sign 1 or 2 more, maybe loans. 

You're 100% right and Emi Buendia is the epitome of it. 

• Like 3

Going back a few pages, there was reports that a UK team has bid for McKennie. I'm pretty sure we bid for him last summer? He chose Juve in the end, and who wouldn't?! Italian champions at the time or a team who had scraped survival. 

Could the bidding team be us? I know Smith said he was happy but that was before Locatelli signed for Juve and they said they would consider offers for McKennie?

• Like 1

Can someone fill me in on what type of player Ilaix Moriba is … Think he is similar to Carney - Pogbab esque - whatever that means… For the €15mill fee is he too similar to Chuck or is he also defensively minded ? I’ve read conflicting reports on what type of midfielder he is. 

44 minutes ago, Cizzler said:

It's literally nowhere near the top 4 teams though. It's miles off. Even if Buendia plays wide left (which I doubt he will) only 1 (or 2 of them at best) would get in. On top of that, their strength in depth is leagues ahead. We have El Ghazi - they have Jota, Werner, Greenwood or Foden. 

That's why this summer has been so disappointing - we are a worse team than last season yet all the top 4 (and Leicester) have strengthened. 

Let me know if you disagree:

Liverpool (arguable 2x -> Watkins for Fimino/ argument for Konsa > Konate. I've never seen Konate play, so won't comment):

---------------------Firmino--------------------
Mane-------------------------------Salah

Robertson-----Konate-----VVD-----TAA
-------------------Allison---------------------

Chelsea (1x -> possibly Martinez? They play a back 3, but if they lined up like-for-like)

---------------------Lukaku--------------------
Havertz--------------------------------Mount

Chilwell-----Thiago Silva----Rudiger-----James
-------------------Mendy---------------------

United (1x -> Martinez > De Gea):

---------------------Cavani--------------------
Rashford--------------------------------Sancho

Shaw-----Varane-----Maguire-----AWB
-------------------De Gea---------------------

City (1x -> would take Watkins > Torres/Jesus/everyone unless the play Jack/KDB false 9). If they get Kane, this is 0):

--------------Torres (possibly Kane)-------
Grealish--------------------------------Mahrez

Cancelo-----Dias-----Stones-----Walker
-------------------Ederson---------------------

Sadly all very true.

The only hope is that the team becomes better than its individual parts. It's years ago now but the 1980/81 title team wasnt regarded as much other than decent on paper. But they clicked as a team.

Edited by hippo

6 minutes ago, thabucks said:

Can someone fill me in on what type of player Ilaix Moriba is … Think he is similar to Carney - Pogbab esque - whatever that means… For the €15mill fee is he too similar to Chuck or is he also defensively minded ? I’ve read conflicting reports on what type of midfielder he is. 

He wants 100k a week

4 minutes ago, troon_villan said:

I'd kick an orphan square in the nuts for a prime George Boateng right now.

I said this yesterday to someone! He said we need Ian Taylor back, I said I’d prefer Boateng. Not because of ability, but a defensive midfielder is a must! 

Really wanted us to sign McKennie last summer but now, I think he is too similar to the type of midfielders we have. Though he could be considered an upgrade I feel the balance & mix is just not right sadly, and I cannot see McKennie changing the dynamic enough for the fees involved and what we need right now. 

Centre of midfield feels like it’s been an issue since - forever! It just doesn’t work with the players we have for whatever reason. Is it the players or system at fault? Surely something has to change in there ??? 

Edited by thabucks