Summer transfer window 2021

zab6359

10 hours ago, bobzy said:

Whilst it would be nice to have an improvement in this area of the pitch, I really don't think having Nakamba there is as bad as you're making out.

Last season alone, we conceded 3 goals in league games on 6 occasions (0-3 loss to Leeds, 3-4 loss to Southampton, 3-2 loss to Burnley, 1-3 loss to West Ham, 1-3 loss to Man Utd, 3-2 loss to Palace).  In these games, Nakamba played 0 minutes.

In terms of starts, he made 9 - against Burnley (0-0), Newcastle (2-0 win), Arsenal (1-0 win), Leeds (1-0 win), Sheff Utd (1-0 loss), Liverpool (2-1 loss), Man City (2-1 loss), Spurs (2-1 win) and Chelsea (2-1 win).  Our win % with Nakamba starting was 55% and without him was 38% - and look at the sides we played when we started him.

It may well not be "because of Nakamba", but to suggest that we will be a really poor team with him in the side just doesn't stack up with what has actually happened.  

Wow. They are actually pretty compelling stats. I've never really been a fan but this will make me reconsider. Although saying that he did start last Saturday 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Villaphil said:

If you told a packed Villa Park you were going all out for a player I owned.  The price would now be twice what I actually wanted and I’d want it all paid up front.  You’ve put yourself under pressure to deliver player X and I can stop that happening if I want to. Give me what I want or you look an idiot in front of your fans.

Big Ron says Hi 👋 

We are currently one of only 5 PL clubs to make a profit so far in the transfer window (according to Transfermarkt):

Brighton - 28m profit.

Southampton - 24m profit.

Aston Villa - 20m profit.

Wolves - 5m profit.

Spurs - 4m profit.

• Like 1

I wonder if we have any prerequisites for buying players now? Looking at our signings since last summer, all the overseas signings are pretty much fluent in English. I wonder if that is by design? Hence being linked with British players or players with experience in the league and the language?

6 minutes ago, Xela said:

I wonder if we have any prerequisites for buying players now? Looking at our signings since last summer, all the overseas signings are pretty much fluent in English. I wonder if that is by design? Hence being linked with British players or players with experience in the league and the language?

I've noticed that too... must be Dean CBA to learn any new funny lingos 

1 hour ago, MaVilla said:

We are currently one of only 5 PL clubs to make a profit so far in the transfer window (according to Transfermarkt):

Brighton - 28m profit.

Southampton - 24m profit.

Aston Villa - 20m profit.

Wolves - 5m profit.

Spurs - 4m profit.

Add the previous 4 windows and we are among the highest spenders for the period 

15 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

I’d still love us to be in for that Kamada. 

He does look a real talent. 

Also like Damsgaard as well

9 minutes ago, sne said:

Add the previous 4 windows and we are among the highest spenders for the period 

very true, we were second in the UK for net spend over the last 3 years or so werent we?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, VillaChris said:

William Carvalho worth looking at?

Not starting for Betis tonight and vastly experienced and physical DM although his stock isn't as high as 2-3 years back. But could do similar job to what Moutinho does at Wolves perhaps.

Can't believe he's only 29. Seems to have been around for about 20 years! 

6 hours ago, Delphinho123 said:

That's fast becoming your stock answer tbh, Jonah. 'Look where we've come from' etc. Almost as if we don't deserve to progress and we shouldn't expect to want to.

Yes we've broken our club record but we've also lost the best player the club has ever had for £100m. Right now, I don't think we'll have a great season. Sorry if I'm being entitled. 

He is not the best player the club has ever had, unless you are 12

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

7 hours ago, hippo said:

You can see the scene at Sampdoria Boardroom

"OK just seen Dean Smith say he's comfortable with is squad  - ermmm ok - lets knock £10m of the asking price for Damsgaard" 

Are you really not getting this?  It isn’t complicated, if you state you don’t necessarily need the player you can make “here’s my offer” bids.  That’s what Dean is saying.

It is a case of “I will pay XX take it or leave it”.  We are not therefor desperate and quite happy to wait to spend if needed.

Not sure why you are struggling to grasp this

“At the moment in midfield places I have John McGinn, Douglas Luiz, Marvelous Nakamba, Carney Chukwuemeka, JJ (Jacob Ramsey), Conor Hourihane and Morgan Sanson coming back from injury. “There are a lot of numbers in there and I think to add to that would be stockpiling players a little bit. Players would probably need to move out before we moved anyone in for that area.”

Express & Star

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

8 minutes ago, macandally said:

Are you really not getting this?  It isn’t complicated, if you state you don’t necessarily need the player you can make “here’s my offer” bids.  That’s what Dean is saying.

It is a case of “I will pay XX take it or leave it”.  We are not therefor desperate and quite happy to wait to spend if needed.

Not sure why you are struggling to grasp this

But the price is fixed by the market. Pretty sure we didn't say here's £30m  for bailey take it or leave it. We agreed a price that was acceptable to all parties  that price would have been the same whatever Smith said in press conferences beforehand about our transfer strategy.

Any off point. I believe DS has said he is happy with the squad and doesn't expect to be adding to it - because thats what he believes to be true. He hasn't imo said it as some negotiating tactic.

3 minutes ago, useless said:

“At the moment in midfield places I have John McGinn, Douglas Luiz, Marvelous Nakamba, Carney Chukwuemeka, JJ (Jacob Ramsey), Conor Hourihane and Morgan Sanson coming back from injury. “There are a lot of numbers in there and I think to add to that would be stockpiling players a little bit. Players would probably need to move out before we moved anyone in for that area.”

Express & Star

I'm reading that as we have two midfielders lined up to join - good times !

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, useless said:

Express & Star

Douglas Luiz the only decent player out of that lot (jury out on Sanson). Even Douglas Luiz is wildly inconsistent.