Summer transfer window 2021

zab6359

Just now, thabucks said:

Really wanted us to sign McKennie last summer but now, I think he is too similar to the type of midfielders we have and could argue better. But I feel the balance & mix is just not right sadly, and I cannot see McKennie changing the dynamic enough for the fees involved… 

Centre of midfield feels like it’s been an issue since - forever! It just doesn’t work with the players we have for whatever reason. Is it the players or system at fault? Surely something has to change in there ??? 

Got ya, but I made the point that, if Deano insists on playing the system he seems to want to, essentially with 2 Box to Box Cam's, it would be better, to have better Box to Box CMS.

If we don't sign a central defensive midfielder this summer, when we're still in negative net spend, I honestly think its a massive mistake. Its not just a problem this season, it was most of last season too. Very obviously so. I hope Smith saying we're done is just a message to a selling club or two but we'll see 

Failing that, I really hope we see the Douglas Luiz of the closing stages of the 19/20 season.

• Thanks 1

McKennie sounds like our profile of player. Works extremely hard, gets about the pitch and he’s young. 

My only concern is, is he a little similar to McGinn and Sanson? Or is he one to play deeper as a DM? Can’t say I’ve seen much of him! 

McKennie alongside a new DM would be amazing. 

IMHO, I think we need to see how our new forwards settle, and then see how our youth players settle, and then see how the likes of Luiz (gold medal winner) settle in the new shape - and then go plug the gaps. It struck me that we are all still reeling from Grealish's departure whether we know it or think it -  and the full effect of it won't be be over until we start winning games again without him. Honestly I think the end of this window will come too soon for us to be in position to find other players that we know will improve us. Not a wobble, or a prediction of meltdown, but I think we need - time. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Got ya, but I made the point that, if Deano insists on playing the system he seems to want to, essentially with 2 Box to Box Cam's, it would be better, to have better Box to Box CMS.

I feel that in Luiz, McGinn, Sanson, we have the players but it’s that elusive missing DM shaped piece that’s the problem. 

1 minute ago, Jareth said:

IMHO, I think we need to see how our new forwards settle, and then see how our youth players settle, and then see how the likes of Luiz (gold medal winner) settle in the new shape - and then go plug the gaps. It struck me that we are all still reeling from Grealish's departure whether we know it or think it -  and the full effect of it won't be be over until we start winning games again without him. Honestly I think the end of this window will come too soon for us to be in position to find other players that we know will improve us. Not a wobble, or a prediction of meltdown, but I think we need - time. 

Good post, plus we have Sanson to come into the team, he is effectively a new signing. Maybe we are better off sticking with the players we have for this season and assessing what to do next summer. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Delphinho123 said:

McKennie sounds like our profile of player. Works extremely hard, gets about the pitch and he’s young. 

My only concern is, is he a little similar to McGinn and Sanson? Or is he one to play deeper as a DM? Can’t say I’ve seen much of him! 

Personally, I think the squad that we have - without a "10" (I don't see Buendia as a 10) lends itself to 4-3-3.  

Of our senior players, we have one "6" - who is poor in possession - and four "8"s, but one of them, imho, could do with 12 months out on loan at a good championship club.  I would love it if we bought in a decent "6" and an "8" so we could rotate/fill a bench/use subs/cover injuries.

I see a midfield of:

---------------------- Doucoure ------------------ with Nakamba as cover, but wouldn't mind if we sold him to Everton and used Luiz if Doucoure was injured

--- McKennie ------------------------ SJM --- with Luiz and Sanson, if he ever recovers, as rotation etc. and Chuck in there as well making benches etc..

We currently have four wingers - Buendia and Traore as RW and Bailey and El Ghazi as left wingers.  For me, El Ghazi is just not up to it and if Roma would give anything more than £10m I would sell and replace with Damsgaard (or McNeill).  This would give us four quality options with JPB in reserve.  Trez should also be off once he has recovered imho.

• Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

That won't happen. They won't sell him. And even if they did we are not at the level yet to get him.

21 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

If he does start, it should defo be on the left.

I'd rather he wasn't starting or getting on but if he does play you are spot on, he should be as far away from the right side as possible.  I can't understand why Smith can't see this as well???🤔

35 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

If he does start, it should defo be on the left.

54 minutes ago, barry'sboots said:

🤞🤞🤞

I really hope that Smith doesn't start with El Ghazi tomorrow!

I dont think he has a choice tbh , we dont have anybody else unless its Young and Bidace , potentially maybe Young and El-Ghazi but id like to see bidace given a chance, unless we play a different system which I highly doubt.

2 minutes ago, RicRic said:

I dont think he has a choice tbh , we dont have anybody else unless its Young and Bidace , potentially maybe Young and El-Ghazi but id like to see bidace given a chance, unless we play a different system which I highly doubt.

Bidace has actually impressed me alot to be fair.

1 minute ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Bidace has actually impressed me alot to be fair.

Which is why he needs to be playing ahead of El Ghazi. Honestly, there is no point in JPB being here if he can’t play ahead of somebody who is criminally poor in nearly every game he plays. 

Just send him out on loan if you’re not going to play him. The kid has potential, go and let him realise it in the championship and bring him back next year a better player.

• Like 2