Summer transfer window 2021

zab6359

If all teams didn't have to play with a midfield, we'd finish in the top 4. This is a helluva side..

---------------------Watkins--------------------
Buendia--------------------------------Bailey

Targett-----Mings-----Konsa-----Cash
-------------------Martinez---------------------

Shame.

Edited by Delphinho123
  • Like 2

I really don't get the theory of lets wait until January idea. Why wait until over 50-60% of the season is over to look for additional players? It could be damage limitation time by then.

January is fine for a short term loan signing or getting in a player who suddenly becomes available and will add to the team. If we have targets this summer and they are avaliable at the right price why wait  5 months?

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, hippo said:

So in theory if you what say is you true - Liverpool could agree a fee for Damsguard  say £30m - but if we went in for him it would be  £35m if DS had said we still looking to add to the squad ? 

Almost had an aneurysm reading that first bit, but potentially, yes. It all depends on how switched on those clubs are.

If they know we're desparate, they'll jack up the price. What they quote one team isn't necessary what they'll quote us. You take into account the buyer's situation (finances/level of desparation) and price accordingly. It's not fair, but it's how business works.

Imagine you're trying to sell an item for £60 and a random bloke offers you £50 for it. You say you'll have a think about it and get back to him. Then Bill Gates comes along and says he's desparate to buy the item and asks you how much you want for it. You know you want £60 for it, but it's a multi-billionaire asking AND he's desparate...

1 minute ago, Xela said:

Rome wasn't built in a day. You can't expect 5 or 6 big signings every summer, no matter how exciting it would be for us on here! 

We've used this summer to strengthen our attacking options as we were toothless without JG last season. 

Maybe midfield is for next summer?  

By which time we may need to replace Watkins and Bailey because we haven't progressed enough.

This idea that we can only buy a certain amount of players each summer is daft tbh. Good footballers will improve us and we have the money to get them so what are we waiting for?

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

If he’d said that I’d agree. You’ve made it sound like he left room for more, when he didn’t really. 

I don’t really understand why people think they’re being cryptic. They’re telling you were done signing players, accept it and move on.

I was paraphrasing. The exact quote was "We are comfortable with where we are" which is essentially the same thing. 'Comfortable' implies not bothered either way.

15 minutes ago, Xela said:

Rome wasn't built in a day. You can't expect 5 or 6 big signings every summer, no matter how exciting it would be for us on here! 

We've used this summer to strengthen our attacking options as we were toothless without JG last season. 

Maybe midfield is for next summer?  

Mate, while I totally agree in general, I think the worry is more about the TYPE of player vs. need and glaring deficiency. Not the amount.

18 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

By which time we may need to replace Watkins and Bailey because we haven't progressed enough.

This idea that we can only buy a certain amount of players each summer is daft tbh. Good footballers will improve us and we have the money to get them so what are we waiting for?

FFP?

5 minutes ago, Lerner's Driver said:

FFP?

Nope because we can amortise their fee for purchases over the contract whereas the 100m from snake boy sale is taken now.  Easily buy now because of that.

• Thanks 1

Our midfield has a number of younger players. Luiz is only 23, Ramsey is 20 and Carney turns 18 in 2 months.  I'm all for giving the kids a chance. Unless we are going to bring in someone of immense quality why block their path to the 1st team. 

27 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

If all teams didn't have to play with a midfield, we'd finish in the top 4. This is a helluva side..

---------------------Watkins--------------------
Buendia--------------------------------Bailey

Targett-----Mings-----Konsa-----Cash
-------------------Martinez---------------------

Shame.

Jury is still out on Buendia and Bailey, though they look promising. Fans have a tendency to overrate new signings. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Nope because we can amortise their fee for purchases over the contract whereas the 100m from snake boy sale is taken now.  Easily buy now because of that.

Well, there must be some good reason they don't want to spend the money!

Edited by Lerner's Driver

28 minutes ago, Beastmix said:

Almost had an aneurysm reading that first bit, but potentially, yes. It all depends on how switched on those clubs are.

If they know we're desparate, they'll jack up the price. What they quote one team isn't necessary what they'll quote us. You take into account the buyer's situation (finances/level of desparation) and price accordingly. It's not fair, but it's how business works.

Imagine you're trying to sell an item for £60 and a random bloke offers you £50 for it. You say you'll have a think about it and get back to him. Then Bill Gates comes along and says he's desparate to buy the item and asks you how much you want for it. You know you want £60 for it, but it's a multi-billionaire asking AND he's desparate...

Yes but now you are talking market forces and inflation not what DS says in a press conference.

The initial point was that had DS said we are still looking for players - then the prices quoted to Aston Villa would be higher than that quoted to other clubs. I'm sorry but I don't agree. As previously posted I don't believe what DS says in press conferences has any bearing on what we would be quoted for players in a competitive transfer market.

Sure we have received £100m for Jack - But the likes of  Liverpool and Arsenal are wealthy and probably have that spending power anyway. The more clubs that are after a player the price goes up  - it doesn't come down because one of the managers says were done in the market.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Beastmix said:

I was paraphrasing. The exact quote was "We are comfortable with where we are" which is essentially the same thing. 'Comfortable' implies not bothered either way.

You can see the scene at Sampdoria Boardroom

"OK just seen Dean Smith say he's comfortable with is squad  - ermmm ok - lets knock £10m of the asking price for Damsgaard"