Summer transfer window 2021

zab6359

23 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

Been far too much negativity lately… and making too much of the odd comment or changes at the club. Even the owners have been questioned, let alone Dean.

As is so often the case, people are having meltdowns over nothing over on the likes of Twitter too…

There’s way too much pessimism and fear… every change/event is being discussed or focussed on in a negative light or as a cause for disaster…

We haven’t been able to have the best preparation going into this season, expect things to settle and for us to hit our groove/rhythm soon… it will take a bit of time. Was anyone really expecting us to be firing from the off and blowing teams away instantly? Especially after recent events? Some of our best or new players aren’t even fit, available or on form yet either…

Dean and the owner’s know what they are doing, let’s not lose faith or get nervous unnecessarily… they’ve earned at least that from us… we haven’t been let down yet and have kept improving & progressing. We couldn’t really control or prevent JG going but there needn’t be so much despondency over that… we move forwards regardless… maybe that is what has actually caused this “mini frenzy”… but people don’t want to admit it?

In Dean’s interview, one thing that hasn’t been mentioned or discussed is his comment on how “we can’t stand still” in this league and the need to continue to strengthen the squad/team or you will get left behind…

That should give us some encouragement rather than focussing on negative thoughts and feelings and creating rumours of unrest at the club… been a fair bit of that recently, it’s frankly nonsensical and an overly fearful or pessimistic frame of mind, especially when there has been no basis for it…

Ok, maybe we don’t sign any more  players (maybe we do?), is that really so bad or catastrophic? We have signed a couple of outstanding ones tbf…

Do any of us actually know that our players won’t perform well or they we won’t have a good season? Do we actually believe that Dean doesn’t have a plan? Why overlook the good work and progress (including some stunning results and performances) and just think the worst? Where and why are these doubts being created from?

Let’s wait and see… a bit of patience is not a bad thing…

Do we really think us lot are more knowledgable and clued up than our manager or coaching team?

The focus has been put on Dean’s answers when he has been asked about  any further activity in this window. Personally, I don’t feel he has actually ruled it out but each to their own… he’s mainly intimated that he is happy with the squad and that we are in a better place… that may mean no more business but he hasn’t flatly denied it or ruled it out and he has to give an answer… let’s see… he doesn’t have to give open, honest and fully detailed answers to the press…

One of the lines that usually comes out of the club is along the lines of “if we come across a good opportunity, we will take it”. So it seems we are always on the lookout (that’s why we employ and have invested in a scouting team) and want to find value, where we can get it…

Imo, if we don’t feel the need to sign more players and have a lot of faith in our existing ones, then that’s ok. Because, honestly, Dean and co have a much much better idea and view on things compared to us lot… they regularly work with the players and see them in training… do we really know better?

But, we don’t know what’s forthcoming either. We could well be doing further business toward the end of the window…

I think we need to relax and try to be positive. Sharing views and opinions is fine and how we would like the team to shape up, which players we would like, debating, agreeing and disagreeing etc. But we needn’t be overly firm or obsessive over it and so strongly feel or state that things are going to go badly… I just don’t get why these negative feelings are so predominant right now… seems like one hell of an overreaction.

We lost a game… we move on… it’s not the end of the world.

Here’s to positive future performances and victories…

I'm happy for you though

Or sorry that happened

19 hours ago, Mic09 said:

Exactly. And I would much rather have ElGhazi from today than ElGhazi from 2019. 

Give me today's Nakamba over the young lad we signed from Brugge a couple of years ago.

That is what premier league experience is. 

But will you take any of them now? Or would you look for a better prospect?

Would you be able to get Konsa or Watkins now for less than 45-50m? 

You won’t get more than average PL or some prospects. 

It would be worthless to get Nakamba or El Ghazi now for where we want to be. Why would we waste 10-15m on those players?

A good player will always be a good player. McGinn has been the same player even in Scotland. We got him for 2m. 

Our most needed positions are DM and AM. Who are the available players around? JWP isn’t one of those, we’d still need to spend on quality players who would upgrade on Nakamba/Luiz or better than Buendia as an AM (and make him on the wing).

I’d pretty much get someone who have the potential to be a super player rather than getting some of those average PL players. 

We could’ve had Bertrand, Smalling or whoever of these overpriced (while good players), but with no value. But we got Targett, Konsa…etc who are trying now to get to the national team. 

I think the board done a very good job in getting Ings who none thought would’ve come. If we can get players with his calibre then yes. Otherwise the other approach is the best for us. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jas10 said:

Been far too much negativity lately… and making too much of the odd comment or changes at the club. Even the owners have been questioned, let alone Dean.

As is so often the case, people are having meltdowns over nothing over on the likes of Twitter too…

There’s way too much pessimism and fear… every change/event is being discussed or focussed on in a negative light or as a cause for disaster…

We haven’t been able to have the best preparation going into this season, expect things to settle and for us to hit our groove/rhythm soon… it will take a bit of time. Was anyone really expecting us to be firing from the off and blowing teams away instantly? Especially after recent events? Some of our best or new players aren’t even fit, available or on form yet either…

Dean and the owner’s know what they are doing, let’s not lose faith or get nervous unnecessarily… they’ve earned at least that from us… we haven’t been let down yet and have kept improving & progressing. We couldn’t really control or prevent JG going but there needn’t be so much despondency over that… we move forwards regardless… maybe that is what has actually caused this “mini frenzy”… but people don’t want to admit it?

In Dean’s interview, one thing that hasn’t been mentioned or discussed is his comment on how “we can’t stand still” in this league and the need to continue to strengthen the squad/team or you will get left behind…

That should give us some encouragement rather than focussing on negative thoughts and feelings and creating rumours of unrest at the club… been a fair bit of that recently, it’s frankly nonsensical and an overly fearful or pessimistic frame of mind, especially when there has been no basis for it…

Ok, maybe we don’t sign any more  players (maybe we do?), is that really so bad or catastrophic? We have signed a couple of outstanding ones tbf…

Do any of us actually know that our players won’t perform well or they we won’t have a good season? Do we actually believe that Dean doesn’t have a plan? Why overlook the good work and progress (including some stunning results and performances) and just think the worst? Where and why are these doubts being created from?

Let’s wait and see… a bit of patience is not a bad thing…

Do we really think us lot are more knowledgable and clued up than our manager or coaching team?

The focus has been put on Dean’s answers when he has been asked about  any further activity in this window. Personally, I don’t feel he has actually ruled it out but each to their own… he’s mainly intimated that he is happy with the squad and that we are in a better place… that may mean no more business but he hasn’t flatly denied it or ruled it out and he has to give an answer… let’s see… he doesn’t have to give open, honest and fully detailed answers to the press…

One of the lines that usually comes out of the club is along the lines of “if we come across a good opportunity, we will take it”. So it seems we are always on the lookout (that’s why we employ and have invested in a scouting team) and want to find value, where we can get it…

Imo, if we don’t feel the need to sign more players and have a lot of faith in our existing ones, then that’s ok. Because, honestly, Dean and co have a much much better idea and view on things compared to us lot… they regularly work with the players and see them in training… do we really know better?

But, we don’t know what’s forthcoming either. We could well be doing further business toward the end of the window…

I think we need to relax and try to be positive. Sharing views and opinions is fine and how we would like the team to shape up, which players we would like, debating, agreeing and disagreeing etc. But we needn’t be overly firm or obsessive over it and so strongly feel or state that things are going to go badly… I just don’t get why these negative feelings are so predominant right now… seems like one hell of an overreaction.

We lost a game… we move on… it’s not the end of the world.

Here’s to positive future performances and victories…

I agree with most of what you’ve but there are things which we’ll wait for an answer for before going into conclusions.

How did we lost? And whom too?

How many times we looked clueless without Jack? 

Actually how many games did DS looked good with us without Jack? 2 wins out of 15 or 17 in the Championship, then out of 14 in the PL.

In the Championship we had a good for until Jack injured, so it’s not as if the team didn’t gel.

So until we see how would DS react, it would still be a worry. 

All of witnessed Lerner’s days, as much as it’s different but the feeling of the setback after a player is gone was really bad. If we found ourselves in relegation places, it won’t help. We can’t afford to be in a relegation battle. For me I think midtable would be fantastic but I’m always hopeful for more.

I like DS and wish he improves with us, I’m just saying that he needs to show what would make us calm down. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, paul514 said:

I'm 37, he is the best player in my time, easily.

I’m going to take 1990, when you were 6, as the start point. Off the top of my head, Paul McGrath, Dwight Yorke, Steve Staunton.

I’ll give you he’s the most exciting to watch, in that period, but in terms of ability in their position and what they delivered for the club, I’d have those 3 above, with others pretty close.

I don’t want to come across as one of those, he was never that good, people, but ever is a long time and we have a pretty spectacular history,

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, paul514 said:

I'm 37, he is the best player in my time, easily.

Better than Paul McGrath, not a chance! I understand you are hurting, we all are but Jack wasn’t yet as good as McGrath was and maybe never will be but it definitely now won’t be in a Villa shirt.

• Like 3

51 minutes ago, Villaphil said:

I’m going to take 1990, when you were 6, as the start point. Off the top of my head, Paul McGrath, Dwight Yorke, Steve Staunton.

I’ll give you he’s the most exciting to watch, in that period, but in terms of ability in their position and what they delivered for the club, I’d have those 3 above, with others pretty close.

I don’t want to come across as one of those, he was never that good, people, but ever is a long time and we have a pretty spectacular history,

I agree

However in a particularly dark period for the club that saw us on the brink of disappearing forever, he was one of us. A lover of Aston Villa who as a player was capable of a magic control of the football and he helped drag us back to the PL (and the riches that it provides.) He'll always have a special place in Villa fans hearts for that.

But don't forget Andy Townsend was the last Villa captain to raise any silverware* of note and very few would mention him as a Villa legend.

nintchdbpict000340881978.jpg

*this does not count

Edited by TheAuthority
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, paul514 said:

Actually that is exactly what we can do, we simply don't register him in the premier league squad.

We still have to pay him if he doesn't leave on loan or permanently, so what.

We tried this before with Lerner’s bomb squad and it didn’t work. None of the players tried to leave and it destroyed any team spirit the overall squad had. It’s exactly what Smith and his coaching team are not about.

1 hour ago, Villaphil said:

Don’t forget Merson. 

4 hours ago, abdulaziz1 said:

But will you take any of them now? Or would you look for a better prospect?

Would you be able to get Konsa or Watkins now for less than 45-50m? 

You won’t get more than average PL or some prospects. 

It would be worthless to get Nakamba or El Ghazi now for where we want to be. Why would we waste 10-15m on those players?

A good player will always be a good player. McGinn has been the same player even in Scotland. We got him for 2m. 

Our most needed positions are DM and AM. Who are the available players around? JWP isn’t one of those, we’d still need to spend on quality players who would upgrade on Nakamba/Luiz or better than Buendia as an AM (and make him on the wing).

I’d pretty much get someone who have the potential to be a super player rather than getting some of those average PL players. 

We could’ve had Bertrand, Smalling or whoever of these overpriced (while good players), but with no value. But we got Targett, Konsa…etc who are trying now to get to the national team. 

I think the board done a very good job in getting Ings who none thought would’ve come. If we can get players with his calibre then yes. Otherwise the other approach is the best for us. 

This, I think the players we have signed are hugely impressive and perhaps gone under the radar with a lot of our fan base.

Yes we lost grealish but we have bought in 3 absolute quality signings, do we need a dedicated DM, I don’t think so, we did well last season without one, I expect us to push on again this season once the new boys are settled. 

1 hour ago, Villaphil said:

Been watching since the late 80's - the players that form my Mt Rushmore are Platt, McGrath, Yorke and Grealish.

If I had to make it a top 5, then Gareth Barry would join them but i think he is a rung below. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, GingerCollins29 said:

Ridiculous. We've royally f****d up here

He's been rumoured to have been linked to Chelsea, Man U and Man C, as well as Spurs. Even if we were in for him, we'd have slim to none chance of getting him

2 hours ago, Villaphil said:

David Platt, 60 odd goals from 130 odd games from midfield in 88-89?

Dean Saunders, 37 goals in 112 games in early 90’s?  Dalian Atkinson 25 in 85 in same period.

Ugo, Ian Taylor, Gareth Barry,  Gabby, Carew, Benteke in their pomp.

Jack may have had talent, but everyone of these were some kids hero and special in their own right.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, useless said:

“At the moment in midfield places I have John McGinn, Douglas Luiz, Marvelous Nakamba, Carney Chukwuemeka, JJ (Jacob Ramsey), Conor Hourihane and Morgan Sanson coming back from injury. “There are a lot of numbers in there and I think to add to that would be stockpiling players a little bit. Players would probably need to move out before we moved anyone in for that area.”

Express & Star

Finally, an actual quote with substance suggesting we might not be done.

Time to say goodbye Conor, with all the love and gratitude I can give x

• Like 1

5 hours ago, abdulaziz1 said:

How many times we looked clueless without Jack? 

Not picking on individuals here but this statement here says a lot.  Surely we've previously looked clueless without Jack because he'd been our go to player for so many seasons.  Now we've got the likes of Emi and Leon for example we have quality options in various positions rather than one. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, TheAuthority said:

I agree

However in a particularly dark period for the club that saw us on the brink of disappearing forever, he was one of us. A lover of Aston Villa who as a player was capable of a magic control of the football and he helped drag us back to the PL (and the riches that it provides.) He'll always have a special place in Villa fans hearts for that.

But don't forget Andy Townsend was the last Villa captain to raise any silverware* of note and very few would mention him as a Villa legend.

nintchdbpict000340881978.jpg

*this does not count

I would!

Andy Townsend. The reason I support Villa!

• Like 3