Morgan Sanson

Delphinho123

Past performance is not necessarily an indicator of future performance.

Bringing in Morgan or anyone else for that matter is an unknown. How will he cope with the Premier League, UK, Villa or whatever team, his new team-mates, Smith, the coaching staff, it's all bit of a crap shoot.

It's not where Morgan is now, it's where with development and the "right" environment what he might achieve. Someone, somewhere thinks he might be able to do better. I don't have a clue.

But if the price is right.

No doubt we have brought in other players that have not matched our expectations. Won't be the first nor the last. 

4 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

but how did you know this? at the time we signed watkins wesley had made a number of PL appearances and been capped by Brazil. by your logic, watkins shouldn't have been an upgrade on we have.

this is what i'm trying to understand. why was watkins, by your logic, good enough for our starting 11 despite only playing up to championship level but sanson isn't?

Watkins has already proved himself as a goalscorer.

Wesley's highest ever goal tally is 13 goals. And that's not even in a top 5 league.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Guessing?

If he was a great player he would have reached a higher level than Marseille.

He never guesses, do you mate? You have some very insightful views based on common sense and years of watching the sport you love. You are aware that other people just don't see what you do, for some reason, but that's okay. You also know that your views wind people up, but it's not intentional.You don't let it you down because your views are just as valid as everyone else's, right?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Sulberto21 said:

This thread is quickly becoming......

Hard Work GIF by memecandy

yeah, i'm done...can't cope with him anymore. it's certianly a unique logic, and one that i'll never understand. so i don't have the energy to try anymore

In the last four years I have never seen villalad do anything other than double down on his opinion, through promotions and being proved wrong over and over again. Can we just state our points and move on. I was excited this thread had moved on three pages. The truth was really disappointing. 

At the end of the day some battles can't be won. 

• Like 1

I had a friend in college named Morgan who always pissed on himself and others when drunk and after a google search Sanson means 'The sun's man' in Hebrew.

That's all I got.

• Haha 3

13 minutes ago, Big Salad said:

I had a friend in college named Morgan who always pissed on himself and others when drunk and after a google search Sanson means 'The sun's man' in Hebrew.

That's all I got.

How did it feel and how did you react?

I was also interested in his name, apparently Sanson is an old English name, perhaps he has English ancestors and hence can adapt better. Sanson can also be derived to Samson, the last of the judges of the israelites in the Book of Judges, I thought that was quite cool.

Anyway, how did it feel?

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Keener window-cleaner said:

How did it feel and how did you react?

I was also interested in his name, apparently Sanson is an old English name, perhaps he has English ancestors and hence can adapt better. Sanson can also be derived to Samson, the last of the judges of the israelites in the Book of Judges, I thought that was quite cool.

Anyway, how did it feel?

He never did it to me....as far as I recall anyway😦🤔

In response to the debate over the last few pages...

As much as I'd be over the moon at signing a bona fide superstar, I appreciate Aston Villa currently have something of a slim window when it comes to desirable players.

We're obviously looking for players that will improve us, but that in itself is a very nuanced task.  The criterion for a 'big' signing isn't simply plucking the best conceivable talent from a pile, although one can make a very genuine case for paying over the odds for a particular player.  It's complicated.  Which Villa seem to have grasped.  There will doubtless be consideration over wage structure, the careful integration of 'team players' with complimentary skill sets who are good characters, on top of factoring in the general uncertainty of the Covid-era.  Coupled with the much-mooted FFP restrictions on our wages and the subsequent restrictions on our pulling power, there will undoubtedly be a certain niche we're looking at.

From what I can see the likes of Morgan Sanson, who I couldn't have told you a thing about a week ago, seem to fit that bill.

I have every confidence that the top of the Aston Villa hierarchy will move intelligently and responsibly.  I would even go as far as saying, beyond being properly diligent and prudent, that there is a certain amount of excitement in, contrary to the actions of the bigger and dumber boys, having to use our chips wisely.  I'm enjoying watching Aston Villa evolve with a certain level of caution.  I say that in spite of the results so far being pretty darn spectacular.

But it's smart and dare I say very satisfying that Villa seem to be approaching ALL of the next steps we need to make with the required level of intelligence.  Retrace those steps over the past two years and have confidence in their upwards trajectory.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, villalad21 said:

If Marseille is the highest level he's reached at the age of 26 that doesn't suggest to me he is any better than what we've got.

If Barkley decides to leave then that's another conversation but i find it very hard to believe a 26 year old guy from Marseille is better than either McGinn or Barkley.

Danny Drinkwater was a Premier League winner 🤔.

I try to defend you sometimes, but the logic behind some of your reasoning is bizarre.

Marseille are a big team in their own right. Many French-African players dream of playing for them over PSG still I think e.g. Zidane and they played in a major european final less than 3 years ago and regulars in CL. Oh and Bielsa managed them.😉

Win their two games in hand and they're 4 points off PSG.

West Ham signing Payet from Marseille was a pretty inspired move for 18 months and Swansea signing Andre Ayew also was good for them in his first spell. And his brother was our best player in 15/16.

I'd say Sanson is exactly sort of player we need to continue pushing us on. Experienced mid 20s player who's been at Marseille for 4 years now so used to big expectations and playing regularly in europe. What's not to like? As much as we've signed well from championship we can't expect to become a team who regularly qualifies for europe and winning the odd trophy just signing from Brentford all the time, we need to improve our selection and get in more experienced players from the top level given Sanson played 4 champions league games for Marseille this season.

Edited by VillaChris
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, villalad21 said:

If Marseille is the highest level he's reached at the age of 26 that doesn't suggest to me he is any better than what we've got.

If Barkley decides to leave then that's another conversation but i find it very hard to believe a 26 year old guy from Marseille is better than either McGinn or Barkley.

There's no way anyone can be 100% confident Luiz will still be here in August so I get the feeling this is a sort of insurance signing. He can settle in for six months and learn English and pace of league and will be ready to step in at DM if Luiz goes (who was loaned to relegation Spanish team in the season before he signed for us) as he has similar sort of profile from what I've seen. Not quite a DM but could do a good job there as he has the discipline to sit.

If Luiz stays brilliant and he'll be used more in rotation with McGinn and others.

West Ham signed Payet from Marseille when he was 28 btw. Ayew was 26 when he went to Swansea.

Edited by VillaChris

Â