Morgan Sanson

Delphinho123

14 hours ago, KMitch said:

Waiting for the apparent droves of VillaTalk French football experts to come out of the woodwork and tell us how shit he is, just like they did with Traore...  🤣

I have no idea who he is, but from looking at his WhoScored summary and the couple of YouTube compilations, seems to play a lot like McGinn.  Tenacious presser, wins the ball frequently in the middle of the pitch then drives forward, winning fouls in key areas.  Pops up with the infrequent goal.  I'm fine with this signing, based on the fact that losing McGinn last year was a huge blow for us.  Having another player comfortable playing that same role will help us continue to play the same style, if McGinn picks up an injury.  

That’s my take, looks a British style player: busy, battling, energetic. Looks to be a decent player, would certainly add more quality to the squad. 

• Like 1

Might not be a next level player but would be a good addition to the squad and a clear improvement on Hourihane and Nakamba and make us much less vulnerable if we get injuries.

Not watched Marseille a whole lot the last few seasons but IMO he's one of those who is not fantastic at anything but pretty good at most things. A solid 6.5-7/10 player every week.

Not sure I'd pay anywhere close to the touted £20m thou considering the finances in Ligue 1 and Marseille needing money badly and him only having 18 months left on his contract. Maybe if we could get Amavi and Thauvin in as well for that sum (both are out of contract in the summer).

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Fair enough but shouldn’t signing players mean the ones who aren’t getting on the bench or in the team will be surplus to requirements? I see comments like signing Samson means we will lose Luiz or aren’t going to sign Barkley.   Does it have to be that way? 

No it doesn’t it’s called building a squad 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, sne said:

Might not be a next level player but would be a good addition to the squad and a clear improvement on Hourihane and Nakamba and make us much less vulnerable if we get injuries.

Not watched Marseille a whole lot the last few seasons but IMO he's one of those who is not fantastic at anything but pretty good at most things. A solid 6.5-7/10 player every week.

Not sure I'd pay anywhere close to the touted £20m thou considering the finances in Ligue 1 and Marseille needing money badly and him only having 18 months left on his contract. Maybe if we could get Amavi and Thauvin in as well for that sum (both are out of contract in the summer).

Think people are getting a bit carried away with this French TV deal. There might be good deals around, but they aren't going to give away their best assets. For all we know Sanson could have been listed at £ 30 million 12 months ago. 

Ultimately this is just about what players Deano thinks will make us better, and thus want. Anything else is pretty irrelevant.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, thabucks said:

Posted this in the transfermarkt thread but more relevant here... (I’m also Desperate to get to 2000 likes so...) 

I  don’t think it will be for anything close to €22mill. The deal must make sense £££ now more so than before. 

Incremental increases in quality of players is what it’s all about now. More competition for places will obvs raise the quality of the whole squad as this grows. 

I’m v.intrigued to see how McGinn reacts to real competition for his place and see if he can elevate his game to the next level.

A CM pool of Luiz, Ramsey, Sanson, McGinn, Barkley, would be a healthy position to be in for the second half of the season and beyond. OT Remember the Nightmare(s) of Whelan & Jedinak ... Now a distant haunting...

Loan Hourihane & Nakamba and release Lansbury. Simples. 

Of course this is so true. Our first team is obviously strong now and can compete with most teams in this league, but we definitely need more quality off the bench.

We didn't manage this under O'Neill when he squandered lots of money of money on at best average players, but I think with the management team we have in place now and the lessons we should have learnt from that time we will ensure we invest in the right quality squad players. 

Sanson looks a decent player, he certainly looks an upgrade on Hourihane and Nakamba and gives us the option to rotate especially when we have a congested fixture list.

I think if this gets done I am very happy with our CM options in Luiz, Ramsey, McGinn, Barkley and Sanson (if Hourihane and Nakamba go out on loan).

Out wide I wouldn't say no to Brooks, but maybe buying Sanson means we will not press on with Brooks. We already have Trez, Jack, AEG and Traore which is probably enough for now, though in the summer I'd like us to look at a right winger.

I still think we desperately need to sort out another striker though - with Wesley still some way off, we need another. Patson Daka, Piatek, Edouard, Morelos - any of these would give us decent options and the option to rest Watkins. Then we can send Davis out on loan to the Championship where he hopefully does well enough for us to sell him in the summer.

Just now, KenjiOgiwara said:

Think people are getting a bit carried away with this French TV deal. There might be good deals around, but they aren't going to give away their best assets. For all we know Sanson could have been listed at £ 30 million 12 months ago. 

Ultimately this is just about what players Deano thinks will make us better, and thus want. Anything else is pretty irrelevant.

Marseille also have a huge loan on the rebuild they did on Stade Velodrome a few years back. Marseille are in huge financial trouble even thou their new owner has promised to pump in about €200m in the club. They risk both point deduction and being banned from European football unless they fix their economy asap.

5 minutes ago, QldVilla said:

We’ve been linked with Sanson for a while, hope the rumours are true this time.. Very good player, we’ve needed another box to box player and definitely an upgrade to the midfield. 

His dad Kenny  was a solid enough player

• Haha 4

Not sure signing bench players is the way to go.

And right now that means buying someone who get's straight in the first eleven and who is better than the likes of McGinn and Barkley. Which is of course a tough task.

Just don't see the point if he is just marginally better than Nakamba.

If their not better than who we've got don't bother signing anyone i'd say. Quality over quantity.

Edited by villalad21

1 minute ago, villalad21 said:

And right now that means buying someone who get's straight in the first eleven and who is better than the likes of McGinn and Barkley. Which is of course a tough task.

If their not better than who we've got don't bother signing anyone i'd say. Quality over quantity.

Looks to have much more to his game than Nakamba, reading the stats it looks like he could be a starter ahead of McGinn.

Just now, villalad21 said:

And right now that means buying someone who get's straight in the first eleven and replacing the likes of McGinn and Barkley. Which is of course a tough task.

Well, there's a lot of assumptions in this post. We may not be signing him to be a bench player. He may be coming in to replace Luiz if Man City have made it clear they want to sign him. He may be coming in to replace Barkley if we've decided not to sign him. He may be coming in to add competition for McGinn as currently no one on the bench is doing this.

Either way, it's likely going to be an improvement to our squad so i'm all for it. 

• Like 4

Â