Ross Barkley

LondonLax

His injuries are worrying. Regarding which players are injury prone and not, a sports medic said that it's difficult to say, but what is sure is that if a player has had an injury, the risk of it occuring again is much higher, and the more times the same muscle or part is injured the risk multiplies. Hardly rocket science, but worth thinking about. At his age and with his injuries I think it's simply fair to say that Barkley is injury prone, and that we cannot expect him to play a full season. Now I still think we should buy him, managing him the right way and have him play in half of the games of the season, he could still make a big contribution. Hopefully his price can come down as well.

Edited by Keener window-cleaner

The impact that Barkley has had even on the training field shouldn't be underestimated. You can see the confidence of players like AEG etc who will be picking up little things like protecting the ball etc that will improve them. 

Hopefully he can stay fit for the rest of the season and he'll be ready and raring to go against the scummy cheating mancs. 

Having a player of his calibre and reputation not only factually makes us a better squad, but it also raises the perception of Villa as a big club with big players, which gives us more bargaining power. 

As things are right now he doesn't even come back into the starting 11 and just how good is that, having barkley to bring on from the bench? 

As long as Barkley makes a full recovery, this injury has been a bit of a God send. Gave Jack the opportunity to show he can effectively play in a middle 3 at this level. That will give us a large amount of negotiating power with Chelsea. If they aren't reasonable then we move on knowing we already have a player more than capable of playing Barkley's position. 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I get he was ineligible today but I do wonder how bad his injury is. He was meant to back weeks ago.

He’s been out about the length you would expect with a hamstring and Smith said he was touch and go for the game two days ago but they decided to leave him for United as he was ineligible today. I’m less worried about severity of this injury vs general injury proneness.

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I get he was ineligible today but I do wonder how bad his injury is. He was meant to back weeks ago.

Team was doing well without him, knowing he couldn’t play today perhaps the coaching staff thought we could rest him up. Then he can come back fully flying. 
If we’d have been struggling I think may have been recalled earlier 

As it stands, for me he doesn't walk back into the team. We found a great Balance with our two "new" wingers and Jack roaming around. He has to hope for some dip in Form from someone or really impress when coming off the bench. Which is brilliant 

8 minutes ago, Adam2003 said:

He’s been out about the length you would expect with a hamstring and Smith said he was touch and go for the game two days ago but they decided to leave him for United as he was ineligible today. I’m less worried about severity of this injury vs general injury proneness.

People have gotten hung up on Smith saying 2-3 weeks, about 5 weeks ago now. He would have been better off keeping his mouth shut, in retrospect. Although I'm sure he thought nothing of it at the time nor will they care now. 

His hamstring has dogged him throughout his career, so they are right to be cautious. Missing 7 games in a season really isn't a big deal though, in general. Time will tell if/when he can get over it and begin to contribute again.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

I'd carefully ease him back in. 

Will be nice to have an impact player to bring on

I think he will get 30 mins v United then start the cup game in a rotated team, then it will be mid jan and who knows where we are with other niggles or suspensions.

• Like 1

We’ve taken 9 pts from 5 games with Barkley and 17 pts in 9 games without him. 

That’s an average of 1.8 pts per game with Barkley in and 1.88 without him. 

Amazingly he hasn’t yet made a positive difference to results this season ( I fully expect him to when he gets a proper run).

6 minutes ago, M_Afro said:

I would start him against Utd. I would bring him in and drop AEG to the bench. I know that’s pretty controversial but it’s horses for courses. We will be better balanced at Utd if we do.

I completely disagree. AEG has been our main source of goals of late winning us points no way does he get dropped! 

Same team against United and bring Barkley on at 60-70 mins for Traore 

• Like 1

Â