Ross Barkley

LondonLax

2 hours ago, cb_82 said:

Back for Palace then !

What Smith said: "We didn't want to take a risk in the colder weather tonight (vs West Brom). It's one of those injuries. He'll be fit for Crystal Palace."

Just read that. Great news!

Both El Ghazi and Traore will rightly be bitterly disappointed to be dropped after having good games against West Brom. Which is great! 

How often in the last 10 years or so have we had players who were performing who still didn't get a place in the starting 11 due to competition?

A glance into how it's like to have a squad. Long way to go in that area but we are slowly getting there.

Edited by sne

It's a tough decision for Smith whether to bring him straight back in or not. While we are doing well, Barkley is clearly one of our best players and if fit should be playing. 

If he comes back in for Palace then, as harsh as it is, it should be El Ghazi who drops out based simply on the fact he's not very useful on the right hand side of the pitch. 

Little snippet from an article about Grealish. If true it's massive.

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/aston-villa-jack-grealish-manchester-19505833.amp?__twitter_impression=true

Ross Barkley has added another dimension to Villa's play as well with the Chelsea ace believed to be keen to make his loan deal permanent knowing his close friend Grealish - a player who persuaded him to join Villa - has committed his long-term future to his boyhood club.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, sne said:

Both El Ghazi and Traore will rightly be bitterly disappointed to be dropped after having good games against West Brom. Which is great! 

How often in the last 10 years or so have we had players who were performing who still didn't get a place in the starting 11 due to competition?

A glance into how it's like to have a squad. Long way to go in that area but we are slowly getting there.

I think we should bring him off the bench if we weren't confident his knee being able to hold up 5-6 days before and with the form our other players are in we could bring him off the bench if we are struggling to break them down or if we are cruising and want to extend the lead. No point bringing him back in when he has to miss the game after anyway this way we keep the momentum of the front 4 going and Jack gets some more practice as CAM against a little bit better opposition. 

14 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Probably a stupid question, but he can't play against Chelsea can he?

Would be brilliant as he would have a point to prove.

No he is unavailable for selection against Chelsea. 

I remember reading years ago, maybe it was FM, that if you paid a loan fee then the parent club couldn't make stipulations on playing time. I guess that is no longer the case. Or maybe it was never true and I just made that entire bit up 😅

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, LondonLax said:

I suspect he wont start but will come on against CP.  

To me, this doesn't make sense. We play Chelsea 2 days after Palace. It would make sense to rest someone for Palace knowing full well they start at Chelsea when Barkley will rest. 

Tell the player rested that they start at Chelsea and the reasoning behind it. It's a squad game, this time of year the squad needs using. They are professionals and will deal with it accordingly. The bigger decision will come after Chelsea for me. 

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, Mjvilla said:

To me, this doesn't make sense. We play Chelsea 2 days after Palace. It would make sense to rest someone for Palace knowing full well they start at Chelsea when Barkley will rest. 

Tell the player rested that they start at Chelsea and the reasoning behind it. It's a squad game, this time of year the squad needs using. They are professionals and will deal with it accordingly. The bigger decision will come after Chelsea for me. 

Yes I understand that and the fact that Chelsea are next is the only reason why Smith might break his rule about not changing a winning team. However we had such a dominant match that I don't think he will change the side, at least not initially. I suspect he will maintain his policy of players in form not being dropped and it will be up to Barkley to wait for his chance (which will come during the match). 

It's so good seeing a top player in his prime wearing a Villa shirt. Yes grealish but he's come through the academy. Martinez and Barkley at Villa a few seasons ago would have been unthinkable. An argument can be made for Benteke but he was a risk which paid off. 

We get the next 2/ windows right I genuinely believe we'll be in the mix for trophies and eventually sustainable title challenges.

Gossip rags claiming he has been put up for sale by Chelsea along with Marcos Alonso, Antonio Rudiger, Andreas Christensen, Jorginho, Danny Drinkwater:hooray: and Victor Moses.

Would put us in an interesting situation. It's likely a lot of money to not actually improve our team this season, but long term it could be a good deal depending on their valuation.

Â