Ross Barkley

LondonLax

We don't change the team for me on Friday.

Barkley on the bench, bringing him on in the second half if/when required.

AEG can't be dropped on current form, and dropping Traore means we have to potentially move AEG & Grealish.

Keep it as it is, maybe bring Mings back in. Barkley adds to depth on the bench.

A brilliant problem to have!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, wilko154 said:

We don't change the team for me on Friday.

Barkley on the bench, bringing him on in the second half if/when required.

AEG can't be dropped on current form, and dropping Traore means we have to potentially move AEG & Grealish.

Keep it as it is, maybe bring Mings back in. Barkley adds to depth on the bench.

A brilliant problem to have!

Can’t argue with that albeit I think Mings will come back in. 

I don’t know how you can drop El Ghazi at the moment. 

• Like 2

I love the conversation of competition. Barkley was ready to go tonight but obviously can't play against his parent club. Naturally you are thinking, if fit, he comes in against United. But who goes out ? We are playing so well. Common train of thought is Grealish goes back to the left and El Ghazi would drop out but how do you drop him right now ! Again, great problem to have. Likewise Mings eligible and Hause playing great.

47 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

People have gotten hung up on Smith saying 2-3 weeks, about 5 weeks ago now. He would have been better off keeping his mouth shut, in retrospect. Although I'm sure he thought nothing of it at the time nor will they care now. 

His hamstring has dogged him throughout his career, so they are right to be cautious. Missing 7 games in a season really isn't a big deal though, in general. Time will tell if/when he can get over it and begin to contribute again.

Not really. DS was asked about him after Burnley and said he'd be available for West Brom. Then said it was too cold and he'd be back for Palace so don't think there's anything wrong with people wondering where he is.

Obviously couldn't play regardless tonight but we'll have a few more 1-1 and poised type games in next few weeks I suspect so would be good to have him as option on the bench to bring on the hour to give opposition something else to think about. Starting Friday.

We certainly need him back with Grealish and McGinn both on 4 yellows given he can slot into either role.

Edited by VillaChris
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, VillaChris said:

Not really. DS was asked about him after Burnley and said he'd be available for West Brom. Then said it was too cold and he'd be back for Palace so don't think there's anything wrong with people wondering where he is.

Obviously couldn't play regardless tonight but we'll have a few more 1-1 and poised type games in next few weeks I suspect so would be good to have him as option on the bench to bring on the hour to give opposition something else to think about. Starting Friday.

Wondering where he might be at in his recovery is one thing, but there are some who seem really stressed out about it and are writing him off because of it. 

His hamstrings will be an ongoing concern for the rest of his career, but he might well hit 30+ appearances this season still. 

• Like 1

If I was Smith, I'll start Ross and take Traore out. I think the big games, Trez is the best for his workrate. If we're fully attacking then it's Traore or El Ghazi. For now it's a criminal to take El Ghazi out because of his form. He's tracking back too. Grealish workrate is good too. Add to that the fact that Bisakka doesn't attack well.

The cup game is important too, we can't just surrender. Although we need to be careful. A full change won't make us any better, I'd still start Traore, Barkley, one of Luiz or McGinn, one of Konsa or Mings.

We'll potentially miss some players because of cards, So for me, Barkley comes for Grealish, Ramsey for McGinn and Taylor for Targett (Although I'd look at playing Hause there, his ability in set pieces is really helpful, and he didn't do bad in the Championship, add to that the fact that Taylor is the one who'll play instead of him).

Smith needs to look at his options, people were saying we have a bad bench, this bad bench got us 8 goals in the last couple of games and helped getting points and clean sheets.

Probably makes sense to have Barkley on the bench for the Utd game. No need to rush him back when we're on a good run of form, and it's great to have a genuine gamechanger on the bench for once (when was the last time we had that!?)

If we do start him, I think it means dropping Traore, shifting AEG right and playing Grealish left. AEG has momentum at the moment and you can tell he's buzzing off it, so be surprised if he gets dropped.

5 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

Probably makes sense to have Barkley on the bench for the Utd game. No need to rush him back when we're on a good run of form, and it's great to have a genuine gamechanger on the bench for once (when was the last time we had that!?)

If we do start him, I think it means dropping Traore, shifting AEG right and playing Grealish left. AEG has momentum at the moment and you can tell he's buzzing off it, so be surprised if he gets dropped.

I'd do it purely for rotation. 3 games in 6 days can't be good. One of Anwar/Bertrand needs a rest. I imagine Anwar will start. He was tearing United a new asshole from the right at OT last year.

4 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

I'd do it purely for rotation. 3 games in 6 days can't be good. One of Anwar/Bertrand needs a rest. I imagine Anwar will start. He was tearing United a new asshole from the right at OT last year.

Can't understand why people keep saying El Ghazi can't be dropped but that means playing on the right. He's had some memorable games on the right. Scored screamer against Baggies in Championship that I posted video link in other thread. He was stationed on right for goal against Palace

Edited by Kiwivillan

33 minutes ago, abdulaziz1 said:

We'll potentially miss some players because of cards, So for me, Barkley comes for Grealish, Ramsey for McGinn and Taylor for Targett (Although I'd look at playing Hause there, his ability in set pieces is really helpful, and he didn't do bad in the Championship, add to that the fact that Taylor is the one who'll play instead of him).

Agreed that if Targett was out I’d be very happy with Hause at left back and Mings/Konsa at CB.

2 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

Can't understand why people keep saying El Ghazi can't be dropped but that means playing on the right. He's had some memorable games on the right. Scored screamer against Baggies in Championship that I posted video link in other thread. He was stationed on right for goal against Palace

I am one who thinks he’s definitely better on the left Kiwi - done plenty on the right and probably played 50/50 between the two positions for us but I think he’s a better player wide left. 

Edit: though as Keyblade points out, AEG had a great start to playing United last season and got an assist from the right before he was injured, and as you say he was good v Palace. So I’m definitely not saying he can’t play on the right!

Edited by Adam2003

2 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

I think people just want to see him keep up this form. He's just better on the left, but it's not like he's useless on the right. In this form I bet he'd be good there now with his confidence.

• Like 1

We shouldn't change it up just to accommodate a fit Barkley when we are going so well. We've 24 hours on United too recovery wise so if we came through tonight unscathed id start with the same line up. Be harsh on Hause to get dropped. Mings was woeful also against United at Villa park in the summer.

2 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

I think people just want to see him keep up this form. He's just better on the left, but it's not like he's useless on the right. In this form I bet he'd be good there now with his confidence.

I think he struggles to beat a man on the outside on the right. I'd argue Watkins would probably be more effective on the right even than El Ghazi. We are so dangerous right now from midfield on. A joy to watch. We don't tear the arse out of it by overplaying either. Direct, athletic, attack minded foitball.

12 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

Traore only played 45 mins against Palace. Neither he nor AEG have played loads of games this season. Think they can both handle another start.

Only players who look in need of a rest IMO are Watkins and Grealish, but that isn't going to happen.

8 hours ago, KentVillan said:

Traore only played 45 mins against Palace. Neither he nor AEG have played loads of games this season. Think they can both handle another start.

Only players who look in need of a rest IMO are Watkins and Grealish, but that isn't going to happen.

Watkins played 4430 out of a possible 4440 league minutes last season. The two times he was subbed were after a hattrick for an ovation and when they won 5-1.

The man is a machine. The rest of the attacking unit will probably need some rest and hopefully can all rotate but he's fine for every minute.

Â