Ross Barkley

LondonLax

2 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Barkley comes on at 20 minutes to go today, I'd bet my bottom dollar we'd at least get the draw if not win. 

We needed a battering ram against McTom and Fred. We needed Barkley badly for this one.

6 hours ago, sne said:

How much of his £100k/w salary are we picking up, is 50% correct? Would be lovely if it was performance based.

Not in the squad again today. 7 straight games out now (8 if you count the one he got injured in and only played a couple mins).

Wouldnt insurance be picking this up if he is injured 

2 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Getting strange with Barkley now, not sure I would be happy buying him at this stage

Yeah, he has now missed more than 50% of the games he was eligible to play for us.

Not good reading if we want to punt 25-30m on him.....seems a little risky with that availability record currently...

However if we don't sign him, I 100% think we do need to buy him or someone in that amc position.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

Yeah, he has now missed more than 50% of the games he was eligible to play for us.

Not good reading if we want to punt 25-30m on him.....seems a little risky with that availability record currently...

However if we don't sign him, I 100% think we do need to buy him or someone in that amc position.

Agree, if he’s not back soon and nailing performances it’s probably risk not worth taking. 

Deano has said he wasnt ready, might not risk him in the cup but expects him to be fit for spurs. Which is pretty much what weve heard for the last 5 weeks just swap the team names around.

Time to start accepting that these things are kept pretty close to the chest at villa now.

He has been injured for quite some time now. Not sure of he is the best option for us to buy. People on here seem to see him as our saviour, but while he is a great player when in form, that has not happened an awful lot.

Not sure he is worth more than £20m with his injury record. Add to that the massive wages he would be on, I’m not sure if there isn’t better value out there.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cheltenham_villa said:

Deano has said he wasnt ready, might not risk him in the cup but expects him to be fit for spurs. Which is pretty much what weve heard for the last 5 weeks just swap the team names around.

Time to start accepting that these things are kept pretty close to the chest at villa now.

Seems odd we wouldn't want to risk him v Liverpool as that's the ideal game to bring him back and we can rest one of our main players given a couple are on 4 yellows.

he's effectively been injured for 8 out of the available 14 games for us, so basically injured for 57% of our games since he has been here.

If he can come back for Spurs, and not have another major injury issue i would prob stump up the cash for him, but a less than 50% availability rate, no matter how good you are, isnt good when you consider splashing 25m+ on a player.

He is a great player though, and if he could maintain his fitness going forward, and does well, i would 100% buy him, but right now.......eh dunno.

The funny thing is, RLC who went to Fulham has been available every game for them and actually has a more severe track record of injuries than Ross. Maybe if Ross’s injuries continue to be a problem for us we should look at RLC in the summer instead (not sure how good he’s been at Fulham, but he was always considered a talent). 

I still think Barkley is worth buying if he can regain fitness and stay fit this season, but this lengthy spell out is concerning. He’s really needed for spurs (as is Trez to help defend against son).

Olise was mentioned as an alternative, I’d certainly be tracking him as he’s a future star but if we don’t buy Ross it has to be someone of a similar calibre to him and Olise is some way off that at the moment. 

4 minutes ago, VillaFaninLondon said:

The funny thing is, RLC who went to Fulham has been available every game for them and actually has a more severe track record of injuries than Ross. Maybe if Ross’s injuries continue to be a problem for us we should look at RLC in the summer instead (not sure how good he’s been at Fulham, but he was always considered a talent). 

I still think Barkley is worth buying if he can regain fitness and stay fit this season, but this lengthy spell out is concerning. He’s really needed for spurs (as is Trez to help defend against son).

Olise was mentioned as an alternative, I’d certainly be tracking him as he’s a future star but if we don’t buy Ross it has to be someone of a similar calibre to him and Olise is some way off that at the moment. 

From what was said when they loaned them out Ross was loaned out to be put in the window to be sold while RLC was loaned out to get playing time so he could come back fit for next season. 

Don't think RLC is available, not as long as Lampard is there anyway. 

With Barkley missing so many games I also worry about his motivation for us once he's fit. When he came there was talk about his main driver being making the England squad for the Euros. The more games he misses the less likely it is he'll be included. I may be underestimating him but I wonder if we'll see the same player when he does return.

I agree that we shouldn't be signing him based on his current injury record with us. Our squad does not have enough quality to cover frequent absences.

2 minutes ago, VillanousOne said:

has his injury record at Chelsea been bad in recent years?

Not sure but I don’t think he’s had a particularly bad injury record. This hamstring injury could well be a one off rather than a reoccurring issue. 

1 minute ago, It's Your Round said:

Not sure but I don’t think he’s had a particularly bad injury record. This hamstring injury could well be a one off rather than a reoccurring issue. 

He’s had three hamstring issues, this being the 3rd. Worryingly, he has been out quite a while each time. 

Â