Ross Barkley

LondonLax

41 minutes ago, BleedClaretAndBlue said:

Smith went to see Trez play for Egypt, so you could say he scouted him. He also mentioned he wanted to sign Engels for Brentford, so he clearly has an influence.

Yes . The point I was responding to was that other people other than DS bring players into the club. DS has gone on record as saying he is ok with ok. Coaching the players is what he enjoys and feels he is best at.

39 minutes ago, hippo said:

Yes . The point I was responding to was that other people other than DS bring players into the club. DS has gone on record as saying he is ok with ok. Coaching the players is what he enjoys and feels he is best at.

he has also said that he, purslow, the DoF, and the recruitment manager are part of the 'Recruitment Team' and will not sign anyone that they don't all agree upon. i doubt think a player has been 'brought in' over smith's head

some players will be identified by DoF, some by smith, some by scouts. but they will all come to a collective decision

sanson for example was identified when smith and suso were in France watching guilbert play against marseille

3 hours ago, hippo said:

It's actually more common than you think. It's well documented than Doug Ellis signed savo milosevic - and was freely signing players for villa in the mid 80s.

Perfectly feasible imo that Dean (who early in villa career admitted that he wasn't involved transfers) has players signed for him. You think Nakamba, Trez, Engels etc were scouted by Smith.?

And you see similarities between our current board and the Doug Ellis years?

I very much believe that our board would not sign players without Smith giving them the OK, and knowing him, he'll definitely be doing a bit of due diligence and research beforehand because he's that kind of guy.

Saw someone on twitter say and I agree with you look at this England squad and these fixtures and hope that he's sat at home knowing that he's **** this up

If he'd come back after the injury with the same hunger and performances as he had before it then there's every danger he'd be in this squad and a great shot of doing something 

Lingard grasped the nettle, he's let it go and gone in to cruise control 

Just now, villa4europe said:

Saw someone on twitter say and I agree with you look at this England squad and these fixtures and hope that he's sat at home knowing that he's **** this up

If he'd come back after the injury with the same hunger and performances as he had before it then there's every danger he'd be in this squad and a great shot of doing something 

Yup. No way Lingard would be there if not for a huge number of injuries.  There may even be another spot up for grabs if Bellingham can't leave Germany. 

He properly threw his chance out the window, and you just know he'll be blaming Dean for that due to not playing him the last 2 games.

4 hours ago, lexicon said:

And you see similarities between our current board and the Doug Ellis years?

I very much believe that our board would not sign players without Smith giving them the OK, and knowing him, he'll definitely be doing a bit of due diligence and research beforehand because he's that kind of guy.

The original point (not by myself) was that Smith wasnt convinced by Barkley - and that CP pushed for it.

Not professing to know the ins and outs but as others have said it's a collective. This could have been one that DS went along with - without ever being totally convinced. I don't think that's an unlikely turn of events.

Equally if Smith had said "over my dead body is RB joining us" - it wouldn't have happened.

Like I say the original point was the Smith wasnt convinced by Barkley. True or not - I don't know. But not an unlikely scenario.

9 minutes ago, hippo said:

The original point (not by myself) was that Smith wasnt convinced by Barkley - and that CP pushed for it.

Not professing to know the ins and outs but as others have said it's a collective. This could have been one that DS went along with - without ever being totally convinced. I don't think that's an unlikely turn of events.

Equally if Smith had said "over my dead body is RB joining us" - it wouldn't have happened.

Like I say the original point was the Smith wasnt convinced by Barkley. True or not - I don't know. But not an unlikely scenario.

Convinced by RB I dunno hard to tell

But said before convinced by the idea of RB I would say yes he is, if he sees Jack's best position as on the left, which everything suggests to be the case, then we need someone to play Barkleys position and role

the ability to play off jack and utilise the space that's created by teams doubling up on him IMO is key to our progression 

If Jack plays LW then we need a proper top class AMC to compliment him, Barkley is that... Apart from he's not top class 

The idea of what he can do is right IMO and I can understand why we went for it, tatcially it makes a lot of sense 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Plot twist: Physically he's unable to give 100% and play like he used to. 

Perhaps the hunger is there but he just can't do it. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, birdman said:

Yeah maybe, would be a better explanation of the reaction when he's subbed too, he's frustrated at himself for not performing how he wants to rather than Smith (which I believe to be the case anyway) 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Villaphan04 said:

a part of me keeps wondering if he was one of the lads who got covid & that combo going with his hamstring injuries has badly affected him. 

Just popping up for my once a week post to say Ross Barkley has proven to be crap, and we shouldn't buy him at any price.

Thanks,

Paul

• Haha 4

25% great, 75% missing.

That 75% came after the injury. Really is a shame that injury happened, we never got to truly see how much damage this team could’ve done in the league this season with the Ross Barkley we saw at the start. 

4 hours ago, Tommo_b said:

25% great, 75% missing.

That 75% came after the injury. Really is a shame that injury happened, we never got to truly see how much damage this team could’ve done in the league this season with the Ross Barkley we saw at the start. 

It's closer to 10% great 90% missing. He went awol before the hamstring injury (Southampton, Leeds). It's the pattern that's defined his entire career. Good in brief flashes a passenger the rest of the time. Don't understand why he gets this "free pass".

Our best spell this season was when he was out injured.

I'd like to know how much damage this team could have done if he wasn't involved at all.

Edited by jimmygreaves
  • Like 1

I appreciate that there is a strong possibility that it would’ve gone another time, or been a similar leg injury, but it looks now that Ross’ season changed in that Brighton game.

Not worth the fee, I just hope this doesn’t upset Jack as he was a big factor in this signing in the first place.

There’a still hope for him but he’s running out of chances here. Would need a dramatic turnaround from him though and he can’t have any complaints really with just sub appearances in the next matches.

If he has any sort of ambition or hunger then he must be furious with himself given that Lingard has made the England squad on the back of his recent form. 

8 minutes ago, bose said:

There’a still hope for him but he’s running out of chances here. Would need a dramatic turnaround from him though and he can’t have any complaints really with just sub appearances in the next matches.

If he has any sort of ambition or hunger then he must be furious with himself given that Lingard has made the England squad on the back of his recent form. 

A lot of us would have been furious if we loaned Lingard but he’s turned out to be a master stroke from Moyes! 

It ain’t easy this transfer business. 

• Like 2

18 hours ago, birdman said:

Perhaps. But it's difficult to explain the treading on the ball to stop your team attacking whilst giving it away, or firing the ball back into your own penalty area to give the opposition a great chance. That kind of thing is dangerous in the Championship, in the Prem, it's the opposition playing with 12 men.

It's a shame, but at this moment in time, he looks finished as a top flight player.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, birdman said:

This. I really don't get the assumptions so many make towards him  

He looks physically different to the player before his injury and no doubt his confidence has hit rock bottom. 

I don't buy this idea that he just can't be bothered. 

• Like 2

Â