Ross Barkley

LondonLax

9 minutes ago, AvonVillain said:

Perhaps. But it's difficult to explain the treading on the ball to stop your team attacking whilst giving it away, or firing the ball back into your own penalty area to give the opposition a great chance. That kind of thing is dangerous in the Championship, in the Prem, it's the opposition playing with 12 men.

It's a shame, but at this moment in time, he looks finished as a top flight player.

Prime examples of a player with their confidence on the floor. 

A frustrating player. Flashes of brilliance and masses of poor decisions and questionable play. Reminds me of other mercurial villa talents such as C N'Zogbia and S Ireland. The kind of player who we would traditionally sign to a long lucrative contracts and then regret it for years... Chelsea already made that mistake with RB so I hope we don't pay them for the pleasure of doing the same. If he could be had on the cheap then he may be worth the gamble but no doubt Chelsea will want to recoup their losses.

2 hours ago, mikeyjavfc said:

A frustrating player. Flashes of brilliance and masses of poor decisions and questionable play. Reminds me of other mercurial villa talents such as C N'Zogbia and S Ireland.

The Stephen Ireland comparison seems about spot on at this point. I live in hope he can turn it around and Barkley seems more professional than SI was but the parallels are definitely there. Thankfully this time we've only got a loan deal and not a fee and four year contract.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, DCJonah said:

Prime examples of a player with their confidence on the floor. 

This excuse is getting pretty tiring now.

First he was suffering from Covid which was why he was so poor and now it's his confidence that has gone.

Personally, I think he is finished as a footballer and he will be lucky if he plays for another top 10 club again imo.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

First he was suffering from Covid which was why he was so poor and now it's his confidence that has gone.

Personally, I think he is finished as a footballer and he will be lucky if he plays for another top 10 club again imo.

Another one to be filed along with the likes of Collymore unfortunately, bags of natural ability but not quite the right temperament 

2 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

He's started 14 games for us! 

Finished as a footballer 😂

He's struggled for form since his injury but has 3 goals and an assist. Wtf were you expecting! 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Villastine said:

He's struggled for form since his injury but has 3 goals and an assist. Wtf were you expecting! 

He was anonymous in 12 of them...

Can't get a game at Chelsea. Don't think we'll be signing him...

Where's he gonna go?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

Was he finished against Liverpool and Leicester. Do players go from winning games and contributing against top teams to finished in just 3 or 4 months?

I'm not saying he's great or that he will once again be a top player. But to just dismiss quite clear reasons seems to be an agenda against the guy. And considering he doesn't come across as a bad person, I'm not sure why. 

Edited by DCJonah
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Villastine said:

Much more from what we have seen from the vastly overrated player that he is.

• Like 1

Overall, I don't want to sign him. He looks shot.

The situation with Chelsea could be played very (Tom) cleverly by someone though. I can honestly see Chelsea giving him away for nothing if someone will pick his contract up.

Would he take 40k a week plus a load of bonuses instead of sitting and ending his career at 27 on 120k at Chelsea? Probably not, but he might actually want to play football, who knows.

1 hour ago, cheltenham_villa said:

In our last game he showed more attacking intent than the rest of our midfield put together. I was hoping he would start. Looks like Sanson is his replacement. We need a player who will look to put the ball into the 18 yard box though.

What about the other 12 games he has shown no intent whatsoever!

Barkley isn't the answer.

Â