Ross Barkley

LondonLax

26 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Because his career is going down the drain and he doesn't seem like a bad guy. 

Well yes, I agree on that part! I know I've said this before but it's the lack of effort that makes me angry. If he worked hard and tracked back I would be sorry for him too. But he's a mature adult and he 'decides' for himself not to put 100% effort in when he plays. I've got a feeling that now he's made his millions he's comfortable with his lot and lacks the desire to continue to play at the required level! 

It's a very sad waste of talent but we can't afford to accommodate players who contribute little to the 'team'. By not starting him recently, I feel that DS has also noticed what I've pointed out on here on many occasions!

36 minutes ago, Villa 59 said:

Well yes, I agree on that part! I know I've said this before but it's the lack of effort that makes me angry. If he worked hard and tracked back I would be sorry for him too. But he's a mature adult and he 'decides' for himself not to put 100% effort in when he plays. I've got a feeling that now he's made his millions he's comfortable with his lot and lacks the desire to continue to play at the required level! 

It's a very sad waste of talent but we can't afford to accommodate players who contribute little to the 'team'. By not starting him recently, I feel that DS has also noticed what I've pointed out on here on many occasions!

Won't be the first or last high profile player whose career fizzles out. We don't know for sure what his issues are although could simply be loss of form due to the injury. Perhaps it will take another pre season to get the old Ross firing again. I hope he comes good but at the same time we shouldn't be spunking a large chunk of money on him when there are other talents to be had. 

• Like 2

Wouldn't buy him, simple as that, and that's speaking as someone in the reasonable 'feel sorry for him' camp. Not that I do feel sorry for him as such.... please bear with me and I'll *try* make some sense.

His substitute tantrums might very well be due in some part to frustration at his inability to reach the heights, but it looks terrible to literally every other person looking on, including all the important people like manager and fans, and also the substitute, attempting to make us look like we're playing with 11 men again. Perhaps if he displayed that kind of passion and intensity of feeling on the pitch instead of off it - even when playing poorly - then he wouldn't be hauled off so much.

More importantly, the days of buying occasionally brilliant players belong well and truly in our past if we wish to seriously compete.

4 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Well Moyes managed him at Everton and if West Ham finish in europa they obviously need bigger squad. He's got a tune out of Lingard so far who'd barely played in 12 months so would've thought Barkley who's been a regular here would appeal to him.

If not West Ham I cant see who else would want him as he'd barely play at likes of Everton and Spurs and so with us not winning him full time that's pretty much top half of the league.

Perhaps Newcastle if they stay up on another season loan deal or go abroad.

Didnt really play as much until Martibez came in

Did we really spend £11m to take him on loan?

Kinda hope that everything in this article apart from Smith not being keen is untrue.

Sources: Purslow spearheading permanent Barkley move to Aston Villa after £11m fee paid

Aston Villa chief executive Christian Purslow is the driving force of a permanent Ross Barkley deal, Football Insider understands.

Manager Dean Smith is yet to be convinced that Barkley, 27, is worth the £35million fee Chelsea want for him this summer.

https://www.footballinsider247.com/sources-purslow-spearheading-permanent-barkley-move-to-aston-villa/

1 hour ago, sne said:

Did we really spend £11m to take him on loan?

Kinda hope that everything in this article apart from Smith not being keen is untrue.

https://www.footballinsider247.com/sources-purslow-spearheading-permanent-barkley-move-to-aston-villa/

Was about to post this.

Aldo interesting, they allude to Deano not being convinced, but Purslow wants the deal?

• Like 1

Isn’t Football Insider just another clickbait site? When they say ‘football insider understands’. What they actually mean is, ‘football insider has just made up’.

There is no way we’re taking him on a permanent deal.  I can however believe he could have cost 11m for the season if we are paying all of his wages.  They probably hoped it would turn in to a permanent deal. I think we all did at one point.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, thabucks said:

As the bad Dr would put it - it’s clickbait jerkalism ... Would Purslow really get involved with signing Barkley over Smith as a vanity project ? 

Wouldn't rule it out.

Smith is only head coach. But clearly Watkins/Konsa and probably one or two more are his picks.

I predict in 2 or 3 games time we'll start  to see the best of him again and he'll seem a lot better.  I'd probably not get him on a permanent deal unless it's for less than £20m as I think his issue is he picks up injuries doesn't recover quickly and takes ages to get his fitness back.  only going to get worse with age I fear.

I think we saw glimpses against Newcastle. That ball over the top to Watkins was sublime and he’s probably the only  player at the club that could pull off a pass like that.  But then you have the very frustrating moments where he loses the ball whilst we’re on a break and puts us in to trouble.  

I think he could still play a part from now and until the end of the season. But I really hope we don’t sign him.

13 hours ago, hippo said:

Wouldn't rule it out.

Smith is only head coach. But clearly Watkins/Konsa and probably one or two more are his picks.

Based on what? There's a team for transfers and there's no way they're stupid enough to sign somebody the person who picks the team doesn't want to pick. 

• Like 1

Here's a video on hamstring injuries from Tifo which let's face it is a fairly relevant to Ross. Skip to about 3.30 where it describes how hamstring injuries can affect careers in the long term.

23 hours ago, lexicon said:

Based on what? There's a team for transfers and there's no way they're stupid enough to sign somebody the person who picks the team doesn't want to pick. 

It's actually more common than you think. It's well documented than Doug Ellis signed savo milosevic - and was freely signing players for villa in the mid 80s.

Perfectly feasible imo that Dean (who early in villa career admitted that he wasn't involved transfers) has players signed for him. You think Nakamba, Trez, Engels etc were scouted by Smith.?

Â