Ross Barkley

LondonLax

3 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Yeah and that links to point I spoke about above in my last comment...Grealish, Barkley, Luiz, Trez and Sanson in 6 of the positions we are comfortable in  but let’s imagine if Mings, Konsa and Watkins were out instead in our weaker back up areas...we lose our energy upfront that we have from Watkins that we haven’t got an alternative and our 13 clean sheet games solid defence is badly exposed and poor Emi will be target practice.

There is no doubt that a lot of our improvement this season is our defence this season and keeping clean sheets and ur back up there is poor.  Losing Ollie as well would be devastating.

To be fair to him Hause has played extremely well when coming in for the two first choice centre backs. I agree we're still light at CB due to the Engels scenario but Hause is not a liability and for me he is a solid premier League defender now.

I agree that Watkins is the disaster scenario if he gets injured. Traore probably could do a job there but we would lose the running of two strikers if Watkins was out. Davis.... No comment.

Edited by Sulberto21
  • Like 3

If we want to progress then  that Barkley isn’t the answer. He has talent but he isn’t good enough consistently to move us forward. If we can’t end his loan early he has to be a back up player because reputation alone isn’t good enough for a club that wants to become established at the highest level.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Laughable Chimp said:

How many of the teams around us do you think actually have a lot of good alternatives? 

I think the teams around us do have better alternatives than we do and that’s purely because we are only in the second season of our return whereas they are established but if you look at their teams you can see it.

Arsenal, Spurs, Everton have better options off the bench who are the current teams around us in the top ten. Then there is Liverpool, Chelsea and West Ham above that and you can just look through their 25 man squads to see the difference.

We’ll get there but we need a few more transfer windows to build it up.  Our options have been limited when looking at the bench shown by our lack of rotation.

We can now start seeing this difference it makes with Ramsey coming through and the addition of Sanson, we now have options there.  But we are poor in the alternatives for striker, centre backs and full backs.  We also lack a spark, a creative change on the bench...we don’t have that.

Every team has holes in their squad, improvements to be made but (IMO) we have  a lot more that most but that’s because we have to catch up squad building wise. Our team though are doing amazing and thankfully so far we have been lucky on mass injuries.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Sulberto21 said:

To be fair to him Hause has played extremely well when coming in for the two first choice centre backs. I agree we're still light at CB due to the Engels scenario but Hause is not a liability and for me he is a solid premier League defender now.

For me Hause is a liability, I feel uncomfortable when he plays in certain games.  When you need a big dude to constantly head out balls being floated in, he’s your man.  When you are playing the ball playing teams he’s exposed so often.  Also his distribution is incredibly poor and has exposed a few times.  So for me Hause currently is a defender for a certain type of match and that’s it and hopefully your fourth choice centre back at best.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, nick76 said:

For me Hause is a liability, I feel uncomfortable when he plays in certain games.  When you need a big dude to constantly head out balls being floated in, he’s your man.  When you are playing the ball playing teams he’s exposed so often.  Also his distribution is incredibly poor and has exposed a few times.  So for me Hause currently is a defender for a certain type of match and that’s it and hopefully your fourth choice centre back at best.

If we bring in one centre back he will be forth choice, I'd have Engels out right away.

Talking about Barkley in the Martinez thread, and centre backs in the Barkley thread.  Sounds about right...

Linking to this quote :

These are the saves made stats of Martinez when Barkley is out the team (7th in the league) versus when he is in the team (1st in the league)

The two stats may be only slightly related given Barkley's position,  and it may not be his fault if he's doing what he’s asked to do... but we look a better team when he's not in it. Given we don't seem to pose a greater threat with him in the team,  I see no reason for him to get a look in until he has demonstrated something in training that persuades Dean he'll up his game.

Edited by MrBlack
  • Like 4

14 minutes ago, MrBlack said:

Talking about Barkley in the Martinez thread, and centre backs in the Barkley thread.  Sounds about right...

Linking to this quote :

These are the saves made stats of Martinez when Barkley is out the team (7th in the league) versus when he is the team (1st in the league)

The two stats may be only slightly related given Barkley's position,  and it may not be his fault if he's doing what he’s asked to do... but we look a better team when he's not in it. Given we don't seem to pose a greater threat with him in the team,  I see no reason for him to get a look in until he has demonstrated something in training that persuades Dean he'll up his game.

I suspect he is a man who looks a million dollars in training...

3 minutes ago, GENTLEMAN said:

I suspect he is a man who looks a million dollars in training...

Distinct possibility, and may go someway to explaining the faith maintained in him for so long. I meant to infer that he demonstrated something that indicates a desire to put in more effort in a game, but even then guess he may still be doing that already in training.

Let me rephrase... "until he demonstrates an improved performance in some substitute appearances of gradually increasing length"

• Like 2

Just seen an interview with Callum Wilson speaking on Barkley.

Saying he was unreal, unbelievable and he would score lots of goals in a team with him etc.

It got very awkward when he was asked If he wished he has gone to Villa to play with him. His body language made it seem he regrets the decision. Lol

It's on one of the Villa Facebook Pages, hopefully someone can link it here.

• Haha 2

He does strike me as that sort of player. I bet he's untouchable in training where you aren't really smashing into each other like you would in a match.

It could go some way to explaining how the hell he was staying in the team.

Technically he's fantastic. It's all the basics he seems to forget about or simply not be arsed by.

There's time to make this work but Ross needs to want it to. Chelsea don't want him, he won't kick a ball for them again.

• Like 2

It's an argument where Ross needs time to adjust to a new side as well. Maybe he'll come good. But it doesn't change the one thing that makes me dislike him as a player, and that's his work rate. The effort he puts in. That has nothing to do with adjusting or being new, that's just a lazy entitled player. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Tomaszk said:

Haha - spends most of it praising Ross as high as possible - then says yeah well I suppose at NUFC I've got Shelvey. Anyway - on Ross - we haven't seen the best of him yet in a continuous run - I'd still love it if he joined us permanently but accept he needs to show us something more in the rest of the season. 

25 minutes ago, Jareth said:

Haha - spends most of it praising Ross as high as possible - then says yeah well I suppose at NUFC I've got Shelvey. Anyway - on Ross - we haven't seen the best of him yet in a continuous run - I'd still love it if he joined us permanently but accept he needs to show us something more in the rest of the season. 

I think we’ve seen his best against Liverpool and Arsenal. But as you said not in a continuous run. I’d suggest to keep him on the bench and get him on if he’s needed. 

45 minutes ago, Jareth said:

on Ross - I'd still love it if he joined us permanently but accept he needs to show us something more in the rest of the season. 

The best thing we could witness Barkley showing us is him returning to Chelsea.

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Just seen an interview with Callum Wilson speaking on Barkley.

Saying he was unreal, unbelievable and he would score lots of goals in a team with him etc.

It got very awkward when he was asked If he wished he has gone to Villa to play with him. His body language made it seem he regrets the decision. Lol

It's on one of the Villa Facebook Pages, hopefully someone can link it here.

And that's the key difference.

He WAS unreal. He's not anymore.

Not putting the effort levels in. Losing the ball while attempting stupid flicks. Acting like he is the starman of the team.

I really cannot stand him as a player.

Edited by villalad21
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

It's an argument where Ross needs time to adjust to a new side as well. Maybe he'll come good. But it doesn't change the one thing that makes me dislike him as a player, and that's his work rate. The effort he puts in. That has nothing to do with adjusting or being new, that's just a lazy entitled player. 

I like Ross undoubtedly a great a talent, but i do agree with you on the work rate. if you could have Trez's work rate and Ross's ability you would have a world beater, been quite a few players like that though. It can be very frustrating watching him at times knowing with a bit more effort he could transform the game. I was really excited when we signed him and his link up play with Jack at the start was a joy. On the whole, if the deal was right, I would like him to stay.

There is a player at Napoli, Zielinski. I think he is 26 now? Anyway, when he plays, you can see he is a genius. Ancelotti & Gattuso have praised him like crazy, Klopp wanted him at Liverpool 3 years ago. Gattuso recently said he could be one of the best.

Anyway, he almost always disappoints. Scores goals, gets assists, but he could do so much more. You could see that he is brilliant, technically second to none, but there must be a mental block or something. He has to play, because you can't drop a talent like that, but I am sure you could get a worse player to put in a better shift than him.

Funnily, he plays the same role as Barkley and I fear Barkley is the same. You can see the spark, the touch, the pass, but my God does he disappoint. 

It's so annoying because everyone can see what he can do, he just doesn't turn it on very often. I'm afraid he is not capable of doing it. 

Edited by Mic09
  • Like 2

On 28/02/2021 at 23:11, nick76 said:

I think the teams around us do have better alternatives than we do and that’s purely because we are only in the second season of our return whereas they are established but if you look at their teams you can see it.

Arsenal, Spurs, Everton have better options off the bench who are the current teams around us in the top ten. Then there is Liverpool, Chelsea and West Ham above that and you can just look through their 25 man squads to see the difference.

We’ll get there but we need a few more transfer windows to build it up.  Our options have been limited when looking at the bench shown by our lack of rotation.

We can now start seeing this difference it makes with Ramsey coming through and the addition of Sanson, we now have options there.  But we are poor in the alternatives for striker, centre backs and full backs.  We also lack a spark, a creative change on the bench...we don’t have that.

Every team has holes in their squad, improvements to be made but (IMO) we have  a lot more that most but that’s because we have to catch up squad building wise. Our team though are doing amazing and thankfully so far we have been lucky on mass injuries.

Agreed. Early days for us.

• Thanks 1

Â