Ross Barkley

LondonLax

On 03/03/2021 at 23:08, MotoMkali said:

What?

He was slow ponderous, wasted good positions. **** up a good ball from sanson that was probably our most incisive into the box. And he definitely should have done better after Konsa's shot. The ball was right next to him but he didn't even put a challenge in for it. He was 1 yard from the goal line ffs. 

That's not how I saw it, I thought he looked much more likely to score than Ramsey, got into the box more and got into in more scoring positions than Ramsey on the few minutes he was on, picked out some good passes and contributed to pegging them back and putting them under pressure. Now he wasn't that good and didn't do that much, but I saw a spark and urgency in his play that he has lacked since he came back from injury.

Definitely earned a start against Wolves. Looked closer to fitness against Sheffield United and proved that he is still the best technical player behind Grealish. He was the reason we kept possession so effectively to pen them in but no-one can force a goal against a team so desperate to defend a 1 goal lead.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

He’s been poor lately but I thought he actually looked sharper against Sheffield United. Surprised by the criticism he got.  

We played against 10 men and they literally just stood in their own box..

I thought Keinan Davis had a bigger impact than Barkley

16 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

We played against 10 men and they literally just stood in their own box..

I thought Keinan Davis had a bigger impact than Barkley

He wasn’t great but he looked sharper than he did in previous games.  That’s all I’m saying. 

I still think he's a decent player but too much of a defensive liability. If they could recoach into him some of his defensive attributes or mindset that he'd previously had in previous clubs he would be worth the 30 million. But right now, I don't think he should be starting unless we play something like 2 DMs to compensate.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Keener window-cleaner said:

That's not how I saw it, I thought he looked much more likely to score than Ramsey, got into the box more and got into in more scoring positions than Ramsey on the few minutes he was on, picked out some good passes and contributed to pegging them back and putting them under pressure. Now he wasn't that good and didn't do that much, but I saw a spark and urgency in his play that he has lacked since he came back from injury.

I agree he looked more likely than Ramsey to score. However as soon as he came on we went from actually trying to break Sheffield down to pinging long crosses into the box that were easy to claim. Evertyime he got the ball he looked to beat a man failed then turned around and passed it back. It really hurt the team balance imo. If we had Brought on Luiz and Sanson instead we would have been much better because Luiz would have been able to play some incisive passes and I'd have preferred sanson to be more. The one time he really played an attacking pass it would have left Barkley with a clear shot in goal if he got the touch right. Of course barkley **** that up so you know. 

4 hours ago, darrenm said:

Definitely earned a start against Wolves. Looked closer to fitness against Sheffield United and proved that he is still the best technical player behind Grealish. He was the reason we kept possession so effectively to pen them in but no-one can force a goal against a team so desperate to defend a 1 goal lead.

I too am a villa fan so I understand masochistic tendencies. But why would your broadcast them so openly. If we play him we will get killed by them. We can't leave moutinho or nerves any time on the ball otherwise neto is just going to have 1v1s vs elmo all game long.

I'm am absolutely astounded by anyone thinking he should come back into the side because Ramsey had a quiet game. I know it's a complete overreaction since we lost a match against 10 man sheffield and thus we have to make all the changes we can , cause that's how football fans think. But no.

Barkley has been consistently shit for about 10 matches in a row. Ramsey worked more in a quiet game, than Barkley ever has done for us. How anyone can forget how shite Barkley has been cause we just lost a match is beyond me.

Ramsey needs to start all day long.

I wouldn't be against Barkley starting and I think it's likely he will given our struggles on Wednesday. As I said he deserved to be dropped but hell be back sooner rather than later whether you like it or not. 

13 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

because Ramsey had a quiet game

Ramsey hasn't yet had a good game. He's tidy in possession but can't really compete with Barkley for almost any part of his game.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, darrenm said:

Ramsey hasn't yet had a good game. He's tidy in possession but can't really compete with Barkley for almost any part of his game.

This, hes young hes ours and he shows promise but thats it. There is no way he should start against wolves. 

• Like 1

Ramsey hasn't had a bad game, besides he and Barkley are two different types of player: Barkley is a N.10 type, that will do most of his work in the final third and won't do much in the way of pressing, tracking back and so on, whereas Ramsey is an attacking midfieler, but comes from deep, and will also do all the work in the middle of the park that you'd normally associate with a midfielder, so a decision to play one over the other doesn't just depend on who is the better of the two, it will also depend on how we want to approach individal games in terms of tactics.

I'd be tempted to bring Barkley back, but in doing so it could potentially weaken the midfield area, because having him there is pretty much the same as playing with a two man midfield, for it to work Luiz and McGinn have to be in accordance with the highest standards that they set earlier in the season, and Barkley himself has to provide enough creativity for it to be worth us sacrificing a more traditional midfielder to allow him to play, we've done it in the past so no reason why it can't work again, and maybe time to give Jacob a rest.

1 minute ago, useless said:

Ramsey hasn't had a bad game, besides he and Barkley are two different types of player: Barkley is a N.10 type, that will do most of his work in the final third and won't do much in the way of pressing, tracking back and so on, whereas Ramsey is an attacking midfieler, but comes from deep, and will also do all the work in the middle of the park that you'd normally associate with a midfielder, so a decision to play one over the other doesn't just depend on who is the better of the two, it will also depend on how we want to approach individal games in terms of tactics.

I'd be tempted to bring Barkley back, but in doing so it could potentially weaken the midfield area, because having him there is pretty much the same as playing with a two man midfield, for it to work Luiz and McGinn have to be in accordance with the highest standards that they set earlier in the season, and Barkley himself has to provide enough creativity for it to be worth us sacrificing a more traditional midfielder to allow him to play, we've done it in the past so no reason why it can't work again, and maybe time to give Jacob a rest.

If Grealish is fit I would play him in that attacking midfield role. we played better like that before

41 minutes ago, darrenm said:

Well each to their own. I think Ramsey has been better in all of his matches (including subs) than Barkley has been since Christmas.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, PaulC said:

This, hes young hes ours and he shows promise but thats it. There is no way he should start against wolves. 

Neither should Barkley. That's the point. We don't have a ton of options. Ramsey > Barkley thus he should start

2 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Neither should Barkley. That's the point. We don't have a ton of options. Ramsey > Barkley thus he should start

Barkley is an enigma. We know hes a great player but hes not performing like one. I wouldn't pick Ramsey even if Barkley didnt get picked. One for the future!

9 hours ago, Laughable Chimp said:

I still think he's a decent player but too much of a defensive liability. If they could recoach into him some of his defensive attributes or mindset that he'd previously had in previous clubs he would be worth the 30 million. But right now, I don't think he should be starting unless we play something like 2 DMs to compensate.

Ross Barkley really hasn't changed that much as a player , he was inconsistent at Everton & Chelsea. Always had talent but never the thought process or the work ethic to be top drawer. He most certainly will not find a spot on a Thomas Tuchel team !

11 minutes ago, gurru991 said:

Ross Barkley really hasn't changed that much as a player , he was inconsistent at Everton & Chelsea. Always had talent but never the thought process or the work ethic to be top drawer. He most certainly will not find a spot on a Thomas Tuchel team !

I'm not talking about his inconsistency. But his defensive stats were definitely higher when he was over there than when he was with us where its fallen off a cliff.

For example, in the league and in the seasons where Barkley played a decent amount, he averaged between 1.7-2.5 attempted tackles per 90 for the seasons where he was at Everton and Chelsea according to whoscored. Meanwhile, his attempted tackles per 90 this season is 0.7. That's a pretty massive drop off especially considering how relatively consistent his numbers were before. 

Edited by Laughable Chimp
  • Like 1

Â