Ross Barkley

LondonLax

I think Villa have had their fingers burned many times buying other teams cast offs, as was correctly said Barkley will never kick a ball again for Chelsea.

For £10-15million and as a squad player someone might buy him.

I'd rather Villa go and get a £30-40million player in the CAM bracket. The name Rodrigo De Paul has been mentioned a few times, potentially a player of his ilk is a step-up on Barkley.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

I think Villa have had their fingers burned many times buying other teams cast offs, as was correctly said Barkley will never kick a ball again for Chelsea.

I'd rather Villa go and get a £30-40million player in the CAM bracket. The name Rodrigo De Paul has been mentioned a few times, potentially a player of his ilk is a step-up on Barkley.

I'd agree with this - I think the CAM signing needs to be high-profile and a player who is confident and on the way up. Barkley is far from finished as a player but he's at a crossroads at this point in his career - there are question marks and he needs to start performing and being a good player week in week out. 

For Deano its always been about work ethics, values, attitudes, behavioural studies etc, All of which we appear to have very little evidence of Ross being a good example of. 

Just hope his attitude doesn't rub off on any of the youngsters and affect the group moral that splits dressing rooms. 

2 hours ago, lexicon said:

I'd agree with this - I think the CAM signing needs to be high-profile and a player who is confident and on the way up. Barkley is far from finished as a player but he's at a crossroads at this point in his career - there are question marks and he needs to start performing and being a good player week in week out. 

Yeah I think Barkley seems mentally unstable and not someone who has the confidence to have his head right week in week out.

It's possibly a sad thing to say but this is top level professional sport, we can't just hope the 'right' Barkley will turn up. It's evident he has let us down more times than he has performed.

Sorry, you had your chance you blew it!

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

Yeah I think Barkley seems mentally unstable and not someone who has the confidence to have his head right week in week out.

It's possibly a sad thing to say but this is top level professional sport, we can't just hope the 'right' Barkley will turn up. It's evident he has let us down more times than he has performed.

Sorry, you had your chance you blew it!

It's the exact issue we had before with Sidwell - we don't really have the space, time or patience to fully rehabilitate a player after years in the Chelsea wilderness. 

• Like 1

I’m nitpicking but you know when you watch interviews and you think this player seems like a good guy, you can see how he would be a good influence around the team. I never really got that vibe from Barkley.

I wonder what sort of character he is around the dressing room. 

3 hours ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

yep for 30-40m which will likely be ross' asking price i'd rather splurge on a better CAM or actually rather on a winger. we're pretty well stacked in CM but after jack and bert there's a drop in quality on the wing (IMO).

29 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I’m nitpicking but you know when you watch interviews and you think this player seems like a good guy, you can see how he would be a good influence around the team. I never really got that vibe from Barkley.

I'm not the kind of person who separates the person from the art, so to speak, so it does make a difference to me too. Players who seem sound will definitely get a bit more leeway. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

Maybe Emi can have a word or two on international duty. 

15 hours ago, MaVilla said:

wow......that was one hell of an interview lol!

if i were a Newcastle fan i wouldnt be pleased, but as a Villa fan it made me smile! 😜

Caught the interview with Wilson last week, he was still sticking to his decision and said Shearer was basically begging him to join them and he fancied that status rather than rotation here.

Deep down he knows he messed up though.

When did him and Barkley train together, England?

50 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Jack seems to love him so can't imagine he'd be a huge problem unless he's causing issues coming in after games when he's been subbed but I doubt it.

Two months ago I was all for signing him but hands up changed my mind now, would be very definition of luxury signing and think it would stall Traore's continual development as I'd like to see him play more centrally next season.

5 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Caught the interview with Wilson last week, he was still sticking to his decision and said Shearer was basically begging him to join them and he fancied that status rather than rotation here.

Deep down he knows he messed up though.

When did him and Barkley train together, England?

Haven’t seen the interview but didn’t they offer him a longer term contract? At his age he was probably right to take it. 

Just now, Vive_La_Villa said:

Haven’t seen the interview but didn’t they offer him a longer term contract? At his age he was probably right to take it. 

I was going to say they'll likely sell him end of the season if they go down but in the past Newcastle held on to likes of Gayle and Mitrovic and they've scored 15-20 goals to get them straight back up so probably makes sense to keep him and sell on likes of Saint Maximn.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, thunderball said:

I think Barkley for £20/25m is a great deal for us. He is going through a bad patch but there is a very very good player in there.

If we can do something so his general work rate improves I wouldn't be against him signing for around £15-20 million.

I'd just like us to be as certain as possible we're not pissing the money up the wall signing him.

5 hours ago, lexicon said:

Its like a car without an MOT is worthless.....It can look grand, with its aesthetic appeal, but its not fit for purpose......Barkley can have all the Frills and spills, flicks and twists, but with no form, he is worthless.

Barkley is all about form( as is any player).....without it, he is not the Barkley we all revere.

49 minutes ago, thunderball said:

I think Barkley for £20/25m is a great deal for us. He is going through a bad patch but there is a very very good player in there.

Going into the season most of us would be ecstatic to sign him for around £30m+ and after the first few matches maybe even £40m+. Too many question marks now...

5 hours ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

Rodrigo is sadly injury prone and plays for Leeds. I wouldn't want him any more. That said we should sign Jonathan Bamba and play Jack CAM. Then we'd get the best of both worlds. World class CAM with great work rate and attitude and prolific and creative winger. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Kingman said:

For Deano its always been about work ethics, values, attitudes, behavioural studies etc, All of which we appear to have very little evidence of Ross being a good example of. 

Just hope his attitude doesn't rub off on any of the youngsters and affect the group moral that splits dressing rooms. 

Thankfully,  he has finally been dropped. I think had it gone on any longer it would have been having that effect on some younger players who are that way inclined anyway... may have already to a degree, but the end result of him getting dropped is what they'll see now.

Ramsey, for example kept trying hard, didn't copy Ross' lead, and has now started two games in a row. That's what the youth are going to see.

• Like 1

No reason to be overly negative about Barkley. He's out of form and on loan so it's a win win for us. Could end up getting a decent deal for him or we simply look elsewhere. Regardless, he could still be a game changer for us this season so when he does come back into the team let's get behind him. 

• Like 1

Â