Ross Barkley

LondonLax

2 minutes ago, It's Your Round said:

Ah, fair enough. Not a great sign then. 

Unfortunately not - no point buying injury prone players, as you can't depend on them. Especially when we'd be looking at 20m+ for Barks 

I saw that earlier.  Based on what he'd cost, there's no way I'd be taking the risk on him.  Great player on his day, but pointless if he's going to miss big chunks of a season injured. If I was the management team I'd be making a big effort to get Alli in.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, sne said:

From what was said when they loaned them out Ross was loaned out to be put in the window to be sold while RLC was loaned out to get playing time so he could come back fit for next season. 

Don't think RLC is available, not as long as Lampard is there anyway. 

Fair enough. I think Chelsea are stacked with midfielders though, I'd be surprised if Loftus Cheek can force his way back into the plans unless they move on one of Jorginho/Kovacic/Kante. 

1 hour ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

Send him back....?

nah, when he gets fit he can be a big player for us, and we lose nothing other than wages for taking the punt, wotrh the punt for a loan player of his quality imo.

depending on how the injuries and form go though, i suppose will dictate whether we consider a permanent transfer?

i defo wouldnt buy him in Jan though considering he's missed more than 50% of our games that he has been available for.

Edited by MaVilla
  • Like 3

8 hours ago, villan-scott said:

Wow. Didn’t realise he’d had such issues with his hammies! Worrying that’s what he is currently out with too. Plants a seed of doubt for me for the first time in signing him permanently. 

He mainly had it at Everton. In 17/18 he actually featured in 55 games for club and country which is hardly missing a game and last seaosn he played in 35 games which is still decent as I presume he was unused sub in a few given Chelsea depth in central midfield.

This injury is very frustrating though. He'll eventually come back and still play well in many games for us so too early to say we shouldn't get him permanently as it's exactly the sort of signing we need to make to get Jack to stay a few more years.

• Like 3

17 hours ago, villan-scott said:

Wow. Didn’t realise he’d had such issues with his hammies! Worrying that’s what he is currently out with too. Plants a seed of doubt for me for the first time in signing him permanently. 

I wondered about this in the pre-match thread and got murdered by fellow posters... it is worrying.

12 hours ago, Risso said:

I saw that earlier.  Based on what he'd cost, there's no way I'd be taking the risk on him.  Great player on his day, but pointless if he's going to miss big chunks of a season injured. If I was the management team I'd be making a big effort to get Alli in.

He has made a big positive difference for us in my opinion and I would bring him in permanently if possible, having said that the fee should reflect the games he has been available to play in recent seasons. 

• Like 1

You have to go back to his Everton days to find a season where he started and played 90 mins for 6 straight games. His body is used to getting frequent rest and spells on the bench.

Pulling a hammy after 2 minutes might have been bad luck although the timing of it suggests a less than 100% warm up before the game and/or an already existing issue.

Not sure on this one, there are pros and cons, risks and rewards but I'm really not sure.

• Like 1

I don't think he's injury prone, he had one big serious injury with his hamstring at Everton and he's never been able to fully get into that Chelsea team but he's not been injured for a lot of it.

Can't really fault Villa for overusing him either, he played 90 mins for 5 games but we had 13 day break between Arsenal and Brighton. Anyone can do a hamstring and that's always been around a month out, it makes sense not to rush him with his history.

I think I remember Smith saying he has a chance for Burnley, which was now 2 week ago. Either that was just a total lie or he must have had some sort of set back that they are keeping to themselves.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Tomaszk said:

Alarm bells.

Yeah, obviously it's partly down to him being a rotation player at a club who frankly have better players in his position. But I also wonder if his body holds up for being a player expected to play 90 mins week in and week out here.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, sne said:

Yeah, obviously it's partly down to him being a rotation player at a club who frankly have better players in his position. But I also wonder if his body holds up for being a player expected to play 90 mins week in and week out here.

I suppose luckily we have him on loan, and we will see this season if he can?

The positive is we didn't spunk 40m on him and realise he can't......

• Like 1

4-6 weeks is pretty standard for a hamstring. Nothing crazy about that recovery time. The only real issue is that he pulled it right before the most congested part of our schedule. 

If anything we have proven that we can perform at a high level with or without Barkley. That will probably help loads at the negotiating table this summer. 

18 hours ago, Risso said:

Isnt Alli another injury risk, just like Sanchez, just like Lingard.

I think we need to move past knocking on the door of these big clubs who are trying to find away to make some money off a club that's loaded. See these big Clubs they want to get something back for real good players who are an injury risk all so they can buy there next big name, we shouldnt even find them in that way unless we get the player we want that can do the business on field for the majority of the season. We certainly do not want to be piling these players at our club if they cant play alot of games per season.

As much as I love Barkley if his injury are going to leave him out for longer than we expected then once the loan has finished we need to find a player of Barkleys capability who isnt injury prone. It will always cost more yes but as others have pointed out we need players who have as little injury time as possible.

Smith said we arnt stock piling players so unless we were to do exactly that we cant afford to take on injury risks like the big clubs can, especially the players who get injured for months at a time.

So yes for me it's a damn shame if Barkley once hes fit cant stay fit till end of the season, because to me that tells me we have to realistically look else where.

I for one do think that where we are this season as of now that we can certainly attract some big names to the cause. I am not down for playing this game of buying players off the big clubs just to add funds to there pockets unless it actually works out for us.

That big name these big clubs want next who needs funds by selling there injury risks, has beens, out of favours so on, we need to be trying to get onto that list of players, money talks and our Owners have it. Also we could be trying to identify the next big players years from now by finding these youths as we have been of late before they get to the age they cost big.

Let the other clubs buy the likes of the Lingards, Sanchez's and Alli's and if needs be Barkley if the lad cant stay fit for longer periods. Let them deal with having the injured for lengthy periods through a season from the big clubs, all while we find the right player with the right fitness and as little injury time as possible. It's either that or let them continue to rot at there current clubs until they move to the lower league or abroad, again either way we steer clear, harsh yes but the wise approach when unable to stockpile.

18 hours ago, Risso said:

Alli? No thanks. Such a limited player.

5 hours ago, Dave-R said:

Isnt Alli another injury risk, just like Sanchez, just like Lingard.

Lingard has very few injuries in his career, he just isn't up to standard. Dele Alli has quite a few injuries, but they've generally been pretty short. Sanchez problems went way past injuries - I think he changed his mind about joining Utd and asked to leave within days of signing the contract!

Â