20/21 Ill Jul 15, 2020 Jul 23, 2020 8 days 2Chelsea FC
19/20 Foot Injury Dec 13, 2019 Dec 23, 2019 10 days 2Chelsea FC
19/20 Foot Injury Oct 19, 2019 Dec 5, 2019 47 days 11Chelsea FC
17/18 Hamstring Injury Feb 2, 2018 Mar 30, 2018 56 days 9Chelsea FC
17/18 Hamstring Injury Aug 14, 2017 Dec 26, 2017 134 days 29Everton FC
14/15 Ligament Injury Aug 18, 2014 Oct 9, 2014 52 days 9Everton FC
13/14 Fractured Toe Jan 6, 2014 Jan 27, 2014 21 days 3Everton FC

The hamstring thing is a big worry for me

Do we even have a timescale for his return yet? heard nothing so far about when he could return by. Surely cannot be too long. 

I see above it's likely to be his second worst injury to date, we've been lucky he hasn't missed as many games as he could have done. However we are coming up to a busy set of games, he needs to be playing some of them. 

1 minute ago, kidlewis said:

Do we even have a timescale for his return yet? heard nothing so far about when he could return by. Surely cannot be too long. 

I see above it's likely to be his second worst injury to date, we've been lucky he hasn't missed as many games as he could have done. However we are coming up to a busy set of games, he needs to be playing some of them. 

Not heard anything other than that he might be fit for the next game which they have been saying for about a month now :D 

When he does come back I think they need to be careful with it because I doubt he'll stay fit if he is expected to play 90 mins 2-3 times a week until the season ends.

1 hour ago, VillaChris said:

Norwich apparently quoted Arsenal 40m for Buendia in this window.

A similar player to Barkley is Pablo Fornals at west Ham. Had Spain under 21 caps and looked good at Malaga and Villareal. Been hit and miss at West Ham. He cost them 25m.

Ultimately established attacking midfield player with many caps for a major nation isn't costing less than 20m anymore if he's playing in a decent league unless his contract is running down as we've had in the past here.

Brandt would simply never consider signing for us given he was linked to Liverpool before he signed for Dortmund so you also have to factor that in. Barkley is in the building and seemingly enjoying things so would be a bit odd for him not to want to come and join West Ham or something. Everton are stacked with plenty of CMs so they don't need him.

The reality is we don’t know if he would want to come as we haven’t spoken to him or his agent.

I know what arsenal were quoted that is what they want, often they will accept a percentage off that I want figure. So for say 5 million more I can have a younger player without the injury history on lower wages....

According to Soccerbase:

19/20- 35 games for club and country. Looking at the dates seemed he was out from 19th Oct to early January so similar to here but was then available for rest of the season

18/19- 55 games for club and country so pretty good.

17/18- Not sure what happened here, 4 games all season. Don't think Conte wanted him given how little he was used when he signed for Chelsea in Jan 2018.

16/17- 39 games for Everton. No England call ups and they had 3 cup games so was pretty much available for whole season.

15/16- 57 games!!

He's had one injury disrupted season but he's not even close to likes of Phil Jones, Wilshere, Sturridge, Welbeck, Ox Chamberlain and a few other English players in last decade who've been incredibly injury prone and lost years of their career.

Pre-17/18 is utterly irrelevant, as it was before the big hamstring injury. As pictured, he's missed over 240 days in the last few years to his hamstring injuries - it's a massive concern. 

• Like 3

17/18- Not sure what happened here, 4 games all season. Don't think Conte wanted him given how little he was used when he signed for Chelsea in Jan 2018.

I think that is safe to assume. Here are his comments after Ross' debut.

https://punditarena.com/football/thepateam/antonio-conte-wasnt-exactly-impressed-ross-barkleys-chelsea-debut-arsenal-loss/

“When there is an injury to one of your best players it is not simple, especially when on the bench the only substitue is Ross Barkley."

Now maybe that was a 'lost in translation' issue as he followed it up with this;

“Barkley has a lot of space for improvement, he is working with us only two weeks but for sure today I was forced to make this substitution, but he can improve a lot”

He missed the first half of the season with a hamstring injury while still at Everton so you'd have to question why Chelsea bought him at all.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, sparrow1988 said:

I think that is safe to assume. Here are his comments after Ross' debut.

https://punditarena.com/football/thepateam/antonio-conte-wasnt-exactly-impressed-ross-barkleys-chelsea-debut-arsenal-loss/

“When there is an injury to one of your best players it is not simple, especially when on the bench the only substitue is Ross Barkley."

Now maybe that was a 'lost in translation' issue as he followed it up with this;

“Barkley has a lot of space for improvement, he is working with us only two weeks but for sure today I was forced to make this substitution, but he can improve a lot”

He missed the first half of the season with a hamstring injury while still at Everton so you'd have to question why Chelsea bought him at all.

Probably for the reason unfolding now. To sell him in for a healthy profit. 

2 hours ago, lexicon said:

Pre-17/18 is utterly irrelevant, as it was before the big hamstring injury. As pictured, he's missed over 240 days in the last few years to his hamstring injuries - it's a massive concern. 

Absolutely it’s like talking about Owen before his injuries 

On 14/01/2021 at 15:33, lexicon said:

agreed and we can't be paying 35m for him with that sort of concern, plus probably a 6 figure weekly wage. if he plays tomorrow it will be over 2 months out for what looked like quite an innocuous injury

• Like 1

6 hours ago, skarroki said:

If we were scrapping for survival and needed him back as our talisman I could understand us spending big money to sign him despite his injuries. The length of time he's been out has unfortunately (for him) been coupled with an upturn in form of our wingers and we're playing great football and winning whilst doing it, without him. 

I'd like to have Barkley here and think he's fantastic but if he'll struggle to make 20 games a season there's no point signing him, considering the wages and price tag. However, if the season pans out with him coming back from injury and being a near ever- present, looking like the injury was a blip then he's our best midfielder and would be great to have him stay. 

Thats why the club are reluctant to make snap decisions, when asked.

We dismiss too easily at times, these huge sums as monopoly money......when we was facing an unpaid tax bill,after Xia ... it was brought home, it was real money alright.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, TRO said:

Thats why the club are reluctant to make snap decisions, when asked.

We dismiss too easily at times, these huge sums as monopoly money......when we was facing an unpaid tax bill,after Xia ... it was brought home, it was real money alright.

Very much this. I'd love Barkley at the club on permanent basis, but as it looks now, I'd only want us to give him a pay as you play contract. The wages he and others are on are really insane.

Man C coming in and throwing a countrys oil money around and Chelski before that laundering dirty Russian money has really disrupted the market and moved the general concept of what is sane to pay football players.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Keener window-cleaner said:

Very much this. I'd love Barkley at the club on permanent basis, but as it looks now, I'd only want us to give him a pay as you play contract. The wages he and others are on are really insane.

Man C coming in and throwing a countrys oil money around and Chelski before that laundering dirty Russian money has really disrupted the market and moved the general concept of what is sane to pay football players.

The market is what it is though, and we need to participate in it to compete. 

• Like 3

I'd sign the bloke tomorrow, you should never turn your nose up at quality like this. 

Watching the Sanson videos though I did think that they look remarkable similar, not sure if that means anything?

I trust the leaders of the club to make the right call, but the longer time goes until we see him play for us again, the more I'm okay with us not shelling out for him on a permanent transfer.

That said, I really hope he gets a good run for us, both for his own and our sake.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, HalfTimePost said:

Without getting too deep into the Barkley argument. I still think he's worth buying (£ dependant). He was out around 7/8 weeks. McGinn & Jack have missed similar time each of the last two seasons, we aren't having the same debate about them. 

Yeah it's a longer history with Ross but he's performed very very well when he's played. Also cannot be understated his link up (on and off the pitch) with Jack and that the odd 'name' as well as unearthing more gems with the talent we've found in Cash, Luiz etc will be just as important to keeping Jack.

I agree and I think £15m/£20m and it wouldn't be the end of the world.

I maintain that he is not worth £30m only because of the injury CV that he has.

Jack is one of our own and SJM only cost £3.5m. When they were injured it was a loss and we did miss them but they never cost us £30m+ and miss quarter to half a season with injuries in their careers.

I think it becomes a different debate and valuation altogether if Ross didn't have the injury records that he has imo.

It's a worry that this is the second hamstring injury he has suffered, the first being a rupture. I can't seem to find the info on whether it is the same hammy, but either way this is something that will no doubt need to be carefully managed going forward. 

The foot injury is just one of those things. Bone spurs can be placed on the 'shit happens' pile.

I would say let's see if he can make it through to the end of the season relatively unscathed and reassess. If we can nab him for say 30 million quid, even if he only plays 25-30 times a season it's a bargain. 

• Thanks 1

Â