Ross Barkley

LondonLax

Imo we are nowhere near the point where we should be turning our noses up at the likes of Barkley. 

The quality is clearly there and it's the sort of signing that "makes a statement" not least to our Captain. 

£30m is really not an awaful lot of money these days. 

2 minutes ago, av1 said:

Imo we are nowhere near the point where we should be turning our noses up at the likes of Barkley. 

The quality is clearly there and it's the sort of signing that "makes a statement" not least to our Captain. 

Maybe not, whilst it could be argued it is when there is a the injury risk factor that comes with him.

Yes, anyone can get an injury in football that's fair enough, but when it comes down to that player on average only completing half a season or so then that's where the question marks stand out for many of us fans.

Imo, if we are signing him this season then £20m tops and only because of the injury CV that comes with the lad.

I'd be surprised if we got Barkley for under £30m. I think it's likely to be starting at at least £30m with plenty of add-ons.

We have to make sure he's fit. Or accept you think he's worth £30m if can only play 20 games a season.

3 hours ago, ciggiesnbeer said:

Great player and one Jack and the team /staff respect and like. Seems like a very good transfer to me. Slight concern about his injury record but Mings had one before joining us and it turned out fine.

Mings injuries weren’t reoccurring ones.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, av1 said:

You can buy Brandt for 7.5 million less a bit more and you can have Buendia.

Lets also not forget he is going to want 5m plus a year in wages too and will have little sell on value due to age

11 hours ago, Tommo_b said:

He hasn’t even been injured that long! When he was fit we looked unreal going forward, why on Earth would we not want to sign him permanently, madness. 

Career-wise, yes he has. His hamstring injuries are recurring and have caused him to miss a lot of matches over the years - you should check out his injury history, it's not pretty.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, paul514 said:

Lets also not forget he is going to want 5m plus a year in wages too and will have little sell on value due to age

In theory he is available for £7.5m but Brandt actually has to want to come to Villa you know. 

• Like 1

The sensible thing to do is to assess in the summer. If it were my money I wouldn’t be paying £30m for Ross Barkley at this moment, on the basis that there’s a reasonable concern over his time out injured, both now and over his career to date. I don’t buy into the argument that there’d be no resale value as a reason for not buying at £30m, because when you’re trying to break into the group at the top of the league you have to accept that some player purchases are for the “now”, and will not bring profit. There will be financial losses on some players, you have to factor that in. But if I’m buying one of those players for the “now”, I would hope for them to be available for at least 75% of the time. Ross Barkley is a talent, Villa look really good with him in the team when he’s fully fit. But he’s been unavailable for 8 of our 13 league games, and that’s nowhere near good enough for the expenditure that would be required to sign him right now. Chelsea clearly don’t want him and they’re carrying a player on £100k per week. Let’s wait until the end of the season and see how Barkley has performed over the entire season, and how badly Chelsea want him off the wage bill. Villa are in pole position for Barkley if they want him and Chelsea are looking to let him go. 

Edited by OxfordVillan
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, paul514 said:

why do we want to sign a political satirist?

DxRTUfUX0AEU0y2.jpg

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, paul514 said:

Norwich apparently quoted Arsenal 40m for Buendia in this window.

A similar player to Barkley is Pablo Fornals at west Ham. Had Spain under 21 caps and looked good at Malaga and Villareal. Been hit and miss at West Ham. He cost them 25m.

Ultimately established attacking midfield player with many caps for a major nation isn't costing less than 20m anymore if he's playing in a decent league unless his contract is running down as we've had in the past here.

Brandt would simply never consider signing for us given he was linked to Liverpool before he signed for Dortmund so you also have to factor that in. Barkley is in the building and seemingly enjoying things so would be a bit odd for him not to want to come and join West Ham or something. Everton are stacked with plenty of CMs so they don't need him.

7 hours ago, lexicon said:

Career-wise, yes he has. His hamstring injuries are recurring and have caused him to miss a lot of matches over the years - you should check out his injury history, it's not pretty.

According to Soccerbase:

19/20- 35 games for club and country. Looking at the dates seemed he was out from 19th Oct to early January so similar to here but was then available for rest of the season

18/19- 55 games for club and country so pretty good.

17/18- Not sure what happened here, 4 games all season. Don't think Conte wanted him given how little he was used when he signed for Chelsea in Jan 2018.

16/17- 39 games for Everton. No England call ups and they had 3 cup games so was pretty much available for whole season.

15/16- 57 games!!

He's had one injury disrupted season but he's not even close to likes of Phil Jones, Wilshere, Sturridge, Welbeck, Ox Chamberlain and a few other English players in last decade who've been incredibly injury prone and lost years of their career.

7 hours ago, lexicon said:

His injury record has to be a big consideration, when setting the transfer fee surely?

13 hours ago, Tomaszk said:

I'd be surprised if we got Barkley for under £30m. I think it's likely to be starting at at least £30m with plenty of add-ons.

We have to make sure he's fit. Or accept you think he's worth £30m if can only play 20 games a season.

His injury record has to be a big negative in all of this.......We have seen first hand with Davis and Greene, how persistent injuries, just take any shine off the positives.

I am no expert on these things, but as an example if a fine old car looks the business, with no MOT it is worthless......you can be the best player in the world, but if you can't play through injury, you have next to no value.

If Ross continues to show signs of injury most of the time , Chelsea will be lucky to get his wages off the books.

I would think twice of parting with much money on a player with such injury circumstance.

INJURY HISTORY

Season Injury from until Days Games missed
20/21 Hamstring Injury Nov 21, 2020 - 54 days 11Aston Villa
20/21 Ill Jul 15, 2020 Jul 23, 2020 8 days 2Chelsea FC
19/20 Foot Injury Dec 13, 2019 Dec 23, 2019 10 days 2Chelsea FC
19/20 Foot Injury Oct 19, 2019 Dec 5, 2019 47 days 11Chelsea FC
17/18 Hamstring Injury Feb 2, 2018 Mar 30, 2018 56 days 9Chelsea FC
17/18 Hamstring Injury Aug 14, 2017 Dec 26, 2017 134 days 29Everton FC
14/15 Ligament Injury Aug 18, 2014 Oct 9, 2014 52 days 9Everton FC
13/14 Fractured Toe Jan 6, 2014 Jan 27, 2014 21 days 3Everton FC

The hamstring thing is a big worry for me

• Like 1