Emiliano Martínez

hippo

5 hours ago, villalad21 said:

He will leave at the first opportunity if a CL club went in for him. 

Already shown that he will put self interest before the club. 

That is just reality unfortunately, probably not a player in our squad that wouldn't! If our home grown Villa supporting players jump ship for CL football at the first opportunity the rest certainly will. Until we are a CL club it is what we will need to deal with, is what it is to be fair.

14 minutes ago, zab6359 said:

Until we are a CL club it is what we will need to deal with, is what it is to be fair.

I said something almost exactly like this a few posts up, and wanted to correct myself. Getting in to the CL will certainly reduce the number of clubs who can lure our talent away, but I think it's important to recognise that even CL clubs still have their players poached sometimes. Unless you're winning trophies year in year out, as part of the absolute elite of the elite, if you have a really good player, there's always a handful of clubs that are going to come along and ruin your day. PSG, Real, Man City, unless you get your player by the balls like Kane and don't care about them becoming unhappy and sitting out their contract, there's going to be a top club waiting to scoop up your best players.

13 minutes ago, BleedClaretAndBlue said:

The Brazilian FA have triggered a rule so all those called up from the Prem but didnt go will now be banned for this weekend anyway. Whether or not Argentina would have done the same I dont know, but good chance we wouldnt have been able to play the Emi’s if they never went. Crazy

I don’t see that being upheld. FIFA are launching disciplinary proceedings against both the Brazilian and Argentinian FA‘s. 

1 hour ago, Davkaus said:

I said something almost exactly like this a few posts up, and wanted to correct myself. Getting in to the CL will certainly reduce the number of clubs who can lure our talent away, but I think it's important to recognise that even CL clubs still have their players poached sometimes. Unless you're winning trophies year in year out, as part of the absolute elite of the elite, if you have a really good player, there's always a handful of clubs that are going to come along and ruin your day. PSG, Real, Man City, unless you get your player by the balls like Kane and don't care about them becoming unhappy and sitting out their contract, there's going to be a top club waiting to scoop up your best players.

As I said in the Martinez thread.We only have 2 options.

1 - Be a champions league club....or

2 - Make up the numbers.

18 minutes ago, BleedClaretAndBlue said:

The Brazilian FA have triggered a rule so all those called up from the Prem but didnt go will now be banned for this weekend anyway. Whether or not Argentina would have done the same I dont know, but good chance we wouldnt have been able to play the Emi’s if they never went. Crazy

If this is the case, it may explain why a compromise was reached on the first place.  Losing them for one game would've been unavoidable.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, sparrow1988 said:

I don’t see that being upheld. FIFA are launching disciplinary proceedings against both the Brazilian and Argentinian FA‘s. 

I think it will be upheld to be fair. Their disciplinary issue is to do with the game which was played then suspended, it's a seperate matter from the issue with clubs not making players available for selection. Other nations have also requested this, not jsut Brazil, and it looks like their players are going to be banned so I can't see why the Brazilians would get a different treatment.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Davkaus said:

It's the reality of being a club in our position, you either break in to the CL or you lose players to them, just like Leicester have lost Chilwell, Maguire, Mahrez, Kante...You just have to accept it'll happen, hold out for the right price and spend the money becoming a better team.

I could kind of understand it with Grealish, one of our own and all that, but if anyone expects Emi's head not to be turned if Atletico do come knocking, they're crazy.

We're actually in a bit of a tricky position now.

Said before I'd have offered him a new deal in the summer and I presume we made approaches to his agent and him but no talk whatsoever in press about it. Next summer he'll have two years left on his deal so that's going to be an issue. Given how he's played he's a 40m + player but that will obviously go down from next summer onwards.

While he's been brilliant for us I do think it's a case of he's used us as a bit of a stepping stone e.g. play a couple of seasons as number one and then a few CL clubs will be interested and suddenly massive struggle to keep him.

I hoped he'd become a Kasper Schmeichel type figure for us particularly with his work getting Buendia in but in Kasper's first 3-4 years at Leicester, they got us, stayed up and then won the league so he has that incredible connection to them especially with the owners so probably not right to compare to Emi.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, blandy said:

That’s the point a number of people have been making from the start. 

Yeah but we would’ve shown them who was boss, which is really important to do, especially in this day and age. It’s not like today’s footballers would take it badly surely?….

So we would've angered our players by not letting them represent their country and they would have still been banned from playing against Chelsea, yet the club did the wrong thing by letting them go? Riiiight.

And no, this isn't hindsight. It's exactly what everyone arguing for Villa not stopping them go said would happen.

Edited by fightoffyour
  • Like 3

10 minutes ago, Nigel said:

...and we have this all again in a few weeks!

UK government known for its sensible decision making will surely allow an exemption the next time.

Do they think that the people will be annoyed if it's one rule for footballers and another for us? Don't think so. It's annoying when it's one rule for politicians and another for us, but most people in this country like football and we want our best players to be able to play for the teams we support. They test all the time anyway so get it done.

Â