Emiliano Martínez

hippo

1 minute ago, villalad21 said:

Actually Spurs are set to fine them.

It's the right decision.

I’ve seen they’ve said that. What happens will be interesting.

To save going round in circles it’ll also be interesting to see what FIFA do re the abandoned game and if we will have a rearranged fixture and Emi miss more games. If they award a win to either side, the other will have a very valid complaint: Argentina “we turned up to fulfill the fixture, Brazil’s authorities called the game to a close, it’s not on us” and Brazil “we turned up, Argentina breached the law by fielding COVID unsafe players, causing the game to be abandoned”. Suspect FIFA will therefore order it to be replayed. There’s no precedent for calling it a draw. Usually if a team causes a game to be called off it’s a 3-0 default to the other side. 

Q. On the other hand, it took you a while to earn your place in the Arsenal first team.

R. I went from loan to loan. I went through six loan spells before I became an established player. I had spells in Spain and the Championship. Very good experiences in the English second division, but very bad at Getafe. It was the lowest point of my career.

Q. Did you think about leaving?

R. No, but I did doubt if I was going to be able to achieve what I wanted.

Q. And what did you want?

A. To play in the Argentine national team. That was my dream since I started to play when I was six years old. There are a lot of people who fade along the way because mentally they get tired and throw in the towel.

I think a lot of us have England blinkers on when it comes to international games, a lot of us couldn't care less about England (including some of the players lol).

Look at that, he's been wanting to play for Argentina since he was 6.

31 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Of course it isn't Villa's responsibility but from what's been coming out public is doesn't look like the club has made the decision very difficult for them either. That's my criticism.

Club needs to show them there are consequences for actively hurting the club like this. 

so you'd rather be that club that gives its players a public dressing down then? in which case you're in the wrong place pal...we don't do that. we keep things behind closed doors be it disciplinary issues, injuries or transfer dealings.

when the time is right, we deliver statements in a dignified way.

the decision to allow 2 key players to miss minimum 1 PL game would not have been taken lightly...but once again you just have to criticise don't you. i'm just amazed you don't think it's all smith's fault...

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Tomaszk said:

Plenty of stories about how Spurs are fining their two who went to Argentina. Didn't think they were allowed to do that to be honest? Thought FIFA would stop it as you can't stop someone joining up with their country.

Hope the Emis appreciate how accomodating Villa have been here. Romero and Buendia very similar situations...brand new record signings immediately peeing off the club that's just shelled out for them.

They can’t, it’s clear in FIFA rules

36 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Of course the club can fine them. They are their employers. If they feel they have done them wrong they can fine them.

Yeah, that's not how any of this works either in or out of football. Think hard and you'll see why an employer being able to fine their staff for any reason they feel like isn't a good idea.

• Like 2

Just caught up on this, an I hate to say it but there's not much defence for the players, they went against the clubs wishes. These have been difficult times, many have had to make extreme sacrifices, more than missing a few games for your country. 

Is it not the truth that they flew out on Friday knowing in reality they would have to self isolate for 14 days in Argentina, so would miss the games anyway. Also they were going to go against the club by playing 3 games when it was agreed 2 games only could be played, or am I wrong here.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, foreveryoung said:

Is it not the truth that they flew out on Friday knowing in reality they would have to self isolate for 14 days in Argentina, so would miss the games anyway

That's not the truth, no, quite obviously. Emi played the other might against Venezuela, and last night against Brazil. Can't do that while self isolating.

4 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

Is it not the truth that they flew out on Friday knowing in reality they would have to self isolate for 14 days in Argentina, so would miss the games anyway. Also they were going to go against the club by playing 3 games when it was agreed 2 games only could be played, or am I wrong here.

It’s not the truth and you are wrong.

1 minute ago, foreveryoung said:

Just caught up on this, an I hate to say it but there's not much defence for the players, they went against the clubs wishes. These have been difficult times, many have had to make extreme sacrifices, more than missing a few games for your country. 

I've seen this line so many times now.  The one about many people making extreme sacrifices.  I still  haven't fully understood why it is being used as a cudgel to bash our own players.  Are we assuming that during the pandemic Buendia and Martinez havent made any sacrifices.  Pretty sure they were forced to isolate in a foreign country for months on in.  No personal contact with the majority of their family.  I would call that a sacrifice.  

They flew out having made an agreement with their employer and they, so far, have fully upheld their end.  Not sure what else you wanted them to do.  Forgo another national team call up?  For how long?  All year? Next year?  This pandemic is no where near done.  An agreement will have to be made in the future because the idea that the Prem can just deny travel til further notice for all international callups to red listed countries is absolutely crazy. 

Simon Jordan is right, we've been far too soft on this. 

Just because Emi Martinez is one of our best players, it doesn't mean he should be treated like royalty when it impacts the club. 

As for Buendia, he may as well have not even been there. Didn't even effing make the bench for either game and now he misses the Chelsea game as a result!

Spuds fined their players for going there without their permission, we may have given our permission but there is a huge softness at this club that needs dealing with.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, VillaFaninLondon said:

Spuds fined their players for going there without their permission

No, they didn't. there's difference between saying they will and actually doing it. They don't (I believe) have a leg to stand on. The players have a right to go, they don't need Spurs' permission.

Tottenham Hotspur are poised to fine Cristian Romero and Giovani Lo Celso after it emerged the pair did not receive permission to meet up with the Argentina squad and Spurs were made to sweat over their release....

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2021/09/06/spurs-fine-players-going-against-clubs-wishes-flying-red-list/

It's club PR.

• Like 3

On 07/09/2021 at 18:28, blandy said:

No, they didn't. there's difference between saying they will and actually doing it. They don't (I believe) have a leg to stand on. The players have a right to go, they don't need Spurs' permission.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2021/09/06/spurs-fine-players-going-against-clubs-wishes-flying-red-list/

It's club PR.

OK, they 'are poised' to fine them. I understand how Fifa and internationals work, but if a player is having to miss 2 games because of going to play for their national team as a result of the pandemic then yes I'm afraid Spuds do have a leg to stand on, as would we if we asked the players not to go (which I understand we didn't).

If a player is being paid by a club and cannot make themselves available for 2 games because they decided playing for their country was more important, then not paying them, say, 1 or 2 week's wages would be perfectly reasonable in my opinion if they've already been briefed by the club about that.

2 minutes ago, VillaFaninLondon said:

OK, they 'are poised' to fine them.

I understand how Fifa and internationals work, but if a player is having to miss 2 games because of going to play for their national team as a result of the pandemic then yes I'm afraid Spuds do have a leg to stand on, as would we if we asked the players not to go (which I understand we didn't).

If a player is being paid by a club and cannot make themselves available for 2 games because they decided playing for their country was more important, then not paying them, say, 1 or 2 week's wages would be perfectly reasonable in my opinion if they've already been briefed by the club about that.

Nope. Feelings have nothing to do with contractors agreements.

Â