Emiliano Martínez

hippo

14 hours ago, AntrimBlack said:

No, not for me it isn't. For me it is about what is best for Aston Villa, not about punishment.

but that is precisely what I am proposing....The best outcome for Aston Villa long term, The team spirit is paramount.....we have to preserve the notion that a player plays well he keeps the shirt, otherwise there is no incentive for an individual to improve.

However, I see your point to, about playing your best players......I favour the building the right chemistry in the squad and reminding players the team comes first, not individuals personal ambitions.

It was not long ago Emi was leaving Arsenal for the same reason, I am supporting Steer ( if he plays well) Emi shouldn't have it both ways.

I am not proposing punishment,  I am proposing fair play to Steer and any other player who finds themselves in this position, Emi should understand that more than most.....If a player leaves work for any reason other than bereavement, he should be putting the shirt at risk.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, a m ole said:

Not quite, it looks like the respective FAs have rescinded their complaints after talking to FIFA.

You can guarantee the AFA would not have done.

Any average poster couldn't possibly know that, but your powers of precognition appear to be unparalleled. Able to see all sorts of things unfolding down the timestream - amazing!

How many Lotto wins is that now?

1 hour ago, TRO said:

but that is precisely what I am proposing....The best outcome for Aston Villa long term, The team spirit is paramount.....we have to preserve the notion that a player plays well he keeps the shirt, otherwise there is no incentive for an individual to improve.

However, I see your point to, about playing your best players......I favour the building the right chemistry in the squad and reminding players the team comes first, not individuals personal ambitions.

It was not long ago Emi was leaving Arsenal for the same reason, I am supporting Steer ( if he plays well) Emi shouldn't have it both ways.

I am not proposing punishment,  I am proposing fair play to Steer and any other player who finds themselves in this position, Emi should understand that more than most.....If a player leaves work for any reason other than bereavement, he should be putting the shirt at risk.

I agree, I have no issues with Emi wanting to represent his country and hold no grudges whatsoever,  but if Jed keeps a clean sheet or keeps us in the game with a good performance today he keeps his shirt simple as .

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, M_Afro said:

There’s no scenario that leads to Jed keeping his place if Emi is fit. This is not a first amongst equals scenario. Emi is significantly better than Jed. Jed knows his place in the pecking order and has shown that he is happy to play second/third choice. If Emi is fit then he plays. Nobody at the club will have a problem with that. Who do you think Ty and Ez would rather have behind them?

Not someone pointing out theres soap on the floor 🤣

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, M_Afro said:

There’s no scenario that leads to Jed keeping his place if Emi is fit. This is not a first amongst equals scenario. Emi is significantly better than Jed. Jed knows his place in the pecking order and has shown that he is happy to play second/third choice. If Emi is fit then he plays. Nobody at the club will have a problem with that. Who do you think Ty and Ez would rather have behind them?

I'd have to agree with this. They're both known quantities at this stage of their careers and Emi is lightyears ahead of Jed in terms of quality - it would have to be an absolutely outstanding performance to even consider not starting Emi, and even that you'd consider to be an outlier. He is where he is for a reason. 

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, StewieGriffin said:

Absolutely disgusting that the clubs who prevented their players from travelling have got away with this, yet the club that behaved properly and with deference towards their players wishes have now got 2 key players currently in the arse-end of Europe not allowed into the UK

If Villa let both Emis go off again next month and in November then I will be seriously p*ssed off. Say no.

All those other clubs did and have not been punished as a result. Whereas we will be without both Emis today and for what. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, VillaFaninLondon said:

If Villa let both Emis go off again next month and in November then I will be seriously p*ssed off. Say no.

All those other clubs did and have not been punished as a result. Whereas we will be without both Emis today and for what. 

It’s up to Argentina whether they want to play ball.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, StewieGriffin said:

Absolutely disgusting that the clubs who prevented their players from travelling have got away with this, yet the club that behaved properly and with deference towards their players wishes have now got 2 key players currently in the arse-end of Europe not allowed into the UK

I'd be interested to know how many were truly not allowed to leave and how many respected their clubs wishes? 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, M_Afro said:

They would sooner have Jed, than an empty net( not able to play).....I am not disputing who is the best goalkeeper, thats a given....but there are other issues here.

What happens in October? same again?

Edited by TRO

9 hours ago, TRO said:

Steer conceded three goals today from three shots. Let’s get Emi back in ASAP.

3 hours ago, ThunderPower_14 said:

It would be absolutely insane to leave our superstar goalkeeper on the bench for our reserve keeper to make some sort of point. It's a ridiculous argument. 

It’s not ridiculous, it’s the basis of good man management. No player has a divine right to a starting spot and there is genuine competition for a position. Every player in the squad has to be able to believe that their hard work and good performances will be rewarded whilst bad performances will see your place in jeopardy.

As it turned out Steer has not done enough to keep Martinez out (and most of us would have expected that) but if Steer had surprised us with a top draw performance it would be absolutely correct to give him the next match to show if he can do it again. 

13 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Not his fault but I feel for him also. He’s not a premier league keeper. Emi would have been further forward for second, first who knows. 

Not his fault at all and I think even fine for an ok PL keeper. But I wouldn’t leave out a world class keeper for him as soon as we can make the change.

14 minutes ago, LondonLax said:

It’s not ridiculous, it’s the basis of good man management. No player has a divine right to a starting spot and there is genuine competition for a position. Every player in the squad has to be able to believe that their hard work and good performances will be rewarded whilst bad performances will see your place in jeopardy.

As it turned out Steer has not done enough to keep Martinez out (and most of us would have expected that) but if Steer had surprised us with a top draw performance it would be absolutely correct to give him the next match to show if he can do it again. 

In general I agree with this but I don’t know of any successful team that has ever operated that way with goalkeepers. It’s the one position you don’t play around.

• Like 1

Â