Emiliano Martínez

hippo

18 hours ago, YLN said:

I do get the point about team spirit,  but i would be more of the opinion that you upset more of an apple cart by punishing Emi than by dropping Steer for Emi after the latter is available again. 

Steer won't be expecting to keep his place once Emi is available. Having Emi on the bench for reasons of spite would create more division.

Its not really spite....its rewarding performance of Steer.....good performance has to be rewarded, else the spirit suffers.

its the very reason Emi left Arsenal, so he should know better than most......He would play really well and lose his place because Leno was back fit....that can't be right.

He can't have his cake and eat it.

The Goal keeper in the immediate game gets my focus and if he plays well and gets a clean sheet, he should stay in goal.....Emi made his choice, and I understand his reasoning, but he broke the rules and put the club in an invidious posistion....but its about rewarding Jed Steer, if he plays well, the boy deserves it...If he plays badly then Emi returns.

1 hour ago, Zatman said:

Was a ceremony for the Copa America win after the game last night, he will probably be pissed to miss that since he was the main reason they won

Yep. He and Messi dragged them to that tournament win

37 minutes ago, TRO said:

Its not really spite....its rewarding performance of Steer.....good performance has to be rewarded, else the spirit suffers.

its the very reason Emi left Arsenal, so he should know better than most......He would play really well and lose his place because Leno was back fit....that can't be right.

The Goal keeper in the immediate game gets my focus and if he plays well and gets a clean sheet, he should stay in goal.....Emi made his choice, and I understand his reasoning, but he broke the rules and put the club in an invidious posistion....but its about rewarding Jed Steer, if he plays well, the boy deserves it...If he plays badly then Emi returns.

Again he didn't break the rules 

• Like 4

14 hours ago, nick76 said:

It’s gone mate, my last hope was snake boy Grealish…

Its such a different place and maybe as Grealish said about the Preece article that he (Preece) doesn’t understand the “Real Football World”, that we also really don’t understand that world just as they don’t understand the “Real World” because they have been detached from it for so long if ever.  They get everything on a plate…money, fame, girls, parties, private planes, merchandise and people in their ear constantly wanting to extract more and more.  They have lost a connection to any reality we know and live in.

I understand the profession vs fan in these players as well and I understand their careers are short but they live in a different world to us now.  Their loyalty is to themselves and they will make moves based on that, which is understandable but obviously goes against what football was supposed to be.  The days we loved of yesteryear of players and fans togetherness are gone, it is only a business now (has been for a while but we hoped not)! It was only going to be that way when so much money got involved in the 90’s with the start of the PL.

I mean just think about.  Jack has been at Manchester City 5 weeks now, played 3 PL games and 2 England games but earnt in that time probably more than my father did his whole career.

Nick, I will PM you a story, to support what you say, but it will be off topic on here.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Peter Griffin said:

That is my view and always has been. There is no player I would be upset about selling if it is the right thing for Villa. In 10 years time we will have most likely have none of the current players still with us. That is just how football works. For us to be successful we need to rid ourselves of sentimentally and think of what is the right thing to do. My opinion is the right thing to do is to sell players at a premium and reinvest in better quality. 

my love has always been for the club....first and foremost.

I will naturally as a supporter, be keen on the individual player, whilst he wears our shirt.

as to being emotionally invested in an individual player, no, not for me.....it's their work, they move in a different world to us, they have different values.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, TRO said:

I will naturally as a supporter, be keen on the individual player, whilst he wears our shirt.

as to being emotionally invested in an individual player, no, not for me.....it's their work, they move in a different world to us, they have different values. My current favourite players are Emi M, Konsa, Mings and Ollie with Danny Ings knocking on the door. Saying that I would not be upset if we sold any of them for the right price next summer. Lange's job is one of the most important at AVFC and if he is the right man for the job we will continue to get better and better

I am with you on that. I have liked Mings from the very start. I think it was his second game for us and he played brilliantly and it could be seen he was destined to be a fans favourite. 

15 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

I am with you on that. I have liked Mings from the very start. I think it was his second game for us and he played brilliantly and it could be seen he was destined to be a fans favourite. 

Pete....I don't know what happened there?

I didn't write anything after ....." they have different values" as you can see in my post.

3 hours ago, TRO said:

Emi is number 1, Tro. There is a reason for that.  He is just better, and the shirt should be his until his standards slip.

I know who I am most comfortable with in our goal.

1 minute ago, AntrimBlack said:

Emi is number 1, Tro. There is a reason for that.  He is just better, and the shirt should be his until his standards slip.

Of course, but I take his point that if Jed puts in an absolute blinder, saves 2 penalties, takes the ball of Lukaku’s feet in one on ones, pushes 6 finger tip saves round the post and wins us a point or 3, you cant drop the guy. Martinez hasn’t been at his very best in the 3 games we’ve already played, so you could argue his standards have slightly slipped.

Of course Steer will throw one in his net and pass out from the back straight to Havertz now, but I agree if he is flawless and plays a blinder he should be given the confidence of the manager. Deano does have previous of dropping players on form though like when Barkley came back in last season for 5 in 5 El Ghazi.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, AntrimBlack said:

without any question...but we equally need to address the respect for Steer and how fairness plays a part in team spirit. I am more comfortable too with Emi, but this is a different issue.

Emi left Arsenal for the self same reason...being left out, when playing well.....IMV Its Steers shirt to lose now, no matter how unpalatable that seems

We have to create fairness in a squad......If he struggles or plays bad, then fine Emi comes in.....otherwise I think we are sending out the wrong message of maybe pandering to individuals.

We have to have genuine competition for places. and genuine situations where players can lose the shirt.

as an example....do you remember when Chelsea played Blackpool in the cup and they, went out on the Razzle......they asked Docherty what he as going to do? he said "I would sooner play the kids"

I know football is a different place and player power is enhanced....but we have to remain in control too.

I'm not in favour of fines on this, but losing the shirt for a game is an option IMO.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, TRO said:

without any question...but we equally need to address the respect for Steer and how fairness plays a part in team spirit.

Emi left Arsenal for the self same reason...being left out, when playing well.....IMV Its Steers shirt to lose now, no matter how unpalatable that seems

We have to create fairness in a squad......If he struggles or plays bad, then fine Emi comes in.....otherwise I think we are sending out the wrong message of maybe pandering to individuals.

We have to have genuine competition for places. and genuine situations where players can lose the shirt.

as an example....do you remember when Chelsea played Blackpool in the cup and they, went out on the Razzle......they asked Docherty what he as going to do? he said "I would sooner play the kids"

I know football is a different place and player power is enhanced....but we have to remain in control too.

I'm not in favour of fines on this, but losing the shirt for a game is an option IMO.

No, not for me it isn't. For me it is about what is best for Aston Villa, not about punishment.

9 minutes ago, Woody1000 said:

So fifa have caved and are allowing the South American players to be available for selection for this weekend’s fixtures. What a joke!

Not quite, it looks like the respective FAs have rescinded their complaints after talking to FIFA.

You can guarantee the AFA would not have done.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, TRO said:

as to being emotionally invested in an individual player, no, not for me.....it's their work, they move in a different world to us, they have different values.

Agree with this, but has changed over the years. Remember as a youngster having posters of Aitken, Little, Mortimer up for over a decade on the walls of my bedroom. As time has passed I would say the last player that worthy would have been Mellberg, Barry would have been ripped down.

It has always been about the club, but we don’t seem to have those iconic players we used to admire.

16 hours ago, TRO said:

without any question...but we equally need to address the respect for Steer and how fairness plays a part in team spirit.

I agree, if Steer is playing good then he should be given the chance and keep the shirt despite how Martinez is ready to jump back in. Competition is pointless if you do not allow a way for other players to debunk the no1 of that position.

I think you are right in that Martinez left for that reason and it's a position that we ourselves should not find ourselves in with our players.

The way I see it is Martinez and Buendia both decided to go play for their country,there is nothing wrong with that, but they possibly knew they would be missing out at club level. Gaps are left as a result and so players jump in knowing those two went off to play for there country. At the same time those players who jump in if they play well should by all means keep there place leaving Martinez and Buendia to regain there position again.

We do have to remain in control otherwise it will be telling players they can go do this whenever they please regardless of the outcomes and they can just regain there place at the club instantaneously. 

• Thanks 1

Â