Emiliano Martínez

hippo

“There was the possibility that they would leave the four boys from England there for 14 days, but Chiqui (Tapia) helped us, stood for us all and said ‘we’re all going’ and we all left. Thank him and the boys who always stood for us.

“Aston Villa did not understand the Brazilian regulations and why it happened. It’s not something the world expected to see.”

Quoted by TyC Sports, he points out that even though most Premier League players did not travel to South America, the ‘love for the shirt’ spoke louder for the Argentines.

“The four of us decided to come for the love for the shirt, even though all the Premier did not want to come, we decided to come anyway. After winning the Copa América, the whole team wants to be with the group, not just give the national team a victory. It’s something beautiful that we have and we assume the consequences.”

http://sportwitness.co.uk/aston-villa-not-understand-emi-martinez-opens-international-controversy/

20 minutes ago, Sam-AVFC said:

You're saying they should be fined because they could have missed two games. We have agreed as a club to release players for international and fines would have to be laid out in contracts so there's no reason to fine them however annoying it may be.

If we hadn't released them FIFA can ban them from playing for us for 5 days. They'd still have missed the Chelsea game with the added bonus of pissing them off.

I was actually referring to Spurs not us. They are the ones who ordered the players stay and train with them.

I am not saying Spurs will necessarily get away with it, but that they can argue quite legitimately that the players broke contractual obligations by effectively rendering themselves unavailable for matches that they are paid by the club to play in because they wanted to play for their national team. 

3 hours ago, ThunderPower_14 said:

They're football players who have just broken into and are trying to break into respectively, their national team. They've been called up for qualifiers a season out from a World Cup by an administration that won't guarantee their place if they don't commit.

It's a reasonable request to ask to go and it's a benevolent, relationship building act for the club to allow them to do so. 

It's insane to advocate for fining them for doing nothing wrong in one breath and then worry about them leaving the next. If we treat them like shit, they'll leave a lot sooner than they might have otherwise.

It was also a reasonable request when the club asked them not to.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, VillaFaninLondon said:

I was actually referring to Spurs not us. They are the ones who ordered the players stay and train with them.

I am not saying Spurs will necessarily get away with it, but that they can argue quite legitimately that the players broke contractual obligations by effectively rendering themselves unavailable for matches that they are paid by the club to play in because they wanted to play for their national team. 

Agree to disagree.

I can certainly see why the club would be aggrieved, but I don't think they'd have a leg to stand on legally. Releasing players for internationals is a contractual obligation for the club anyway.

Bearing in mind we're talking about fines here. The club could try to sue for breach of contract, they couldn't just decide to fine the players. Which I'm grateful for as businesses being able to create new indiscretions to fine employees for would not be good.

Just now, DCJonah said:

They really aren't doing themselves any favours. They look worse as each day passes.

FIFA is about to rule on the 5 day penalty for clubs who didn't release their players. Whole thing is an absolute mess. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Farlz said:

All this explains is Emi can't keep his mouth shut, an is as good as saying he was going to play for Argentina whatever the Premier league or Villa said, an Villa don't know the rules anyway.

Don't get me wrong, I love the guy like any fan would, but he obviously forced our hand to play and anyone who thinks he is acting with respect for our club is far off the mark.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/58470358

Fifa can ban players not released in an international window for a period of five days after the window ends.

Nine Premier League players were selected for Brazil's three games.

The players called up were Liverpool trio Alisson, Fabinho, and Roberto Firmino, Manchester City's Ederson and Gabriel Jesus, Chelsea defender Thiago Silva, Manchester United's Fred, Leeds forward Raphinha, and Everton striker Richarlison.

Wolves, Newcastle, Watford and Blackburn will all lose players this weekend after complaints from the Chilean, Mexican and Paraguayan associations.

However clubs have not yet been told whether the players that weren't released for the Brazil squad will be suspended or not.

"This has to be sorted it out within the next 24 hours," said Marshall on Tuesday. "Liverpool and the other clubs need to know if they can play their Brazilians or not.

Was this really the Premier Leagues plan?  Choose to not release it's players then beg FIFA for mercy. What an absolute sh*t show. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Rightdm00 said:

Was this really the Premier Leagues plan?  Choose to not release it's players then beg FIFA for mercy. What an absolute sh*t show. 

Interesting that so many didn't do what our players did. And yet they've been defended as just being passionate guys who love playing for their country, like none of the others are. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Rightdm00 said:

and FIFA won’t want to piss off the big clubs so will do nothing or come out with a statement something like warning not to do it again (which they will do)

Small clubs get shafted, big clubs will get away with it.

Edited by nick76

23 hours ago, Adam2003 said:

Mate, that’s just not the world these lads live in. They have people cooking their meals, booking their travel, paying their bills, etc. Every detail of their life is handled by someone. That’s PL football these days. You would believe the AFA if they told you they had sorted it with the Brazilian FA but more likely the conversation didn’t ever come up - they were just told “a driver will pick you up here to get on your private jet.”

If you think Mings, for example, investigated the quarantine rules to check he was fine to go to Hungary last week you’re mistaken. Not the world they live in.

I hear you, but just because that's how it is, doesn't mean that's how it should be.  You need to be aware of your responsibilities and the rules, laws and regulations that apply to you.  

If my wife booked all our travel, should I be ok to be ignorant to rules that applied to me?

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Interesting that so many didn't do what our players did. And yet they've been defended as just being passionate guys who love playing for their country, like none of the others are. 

There are also 2 Spurs players who did it, who as a whole are the only players in the league who good enough to get called up by Argentina as far as I know. As they said themselves, it's probably an Argentina thing, having just won the Copa, emotions and pride are high and nobody in with a shout wants to miss out on that. It's not just playing for their country in some meaningless friendly.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Well the Brazil players would have had to quarantine 14 days. Pointless all around not for them

42 minutes ago, Adman said:

I hear you, but just because that's how it is, doesn't mean that's how it should be.  You need to be aware of your responsibilities and the rules, laws and regulations that apply to you.  

If my wife booked all our travel, should I be ok to be ignorant to rules that applied to me?

your too sensible.

Its a wise man who ensures his own destiny....relying on others too much can be naive....maybe they have learnt from this. 

Can sort of see why he did it.. And what’s is with seemingly unable to stop talking about Arsenal -still! He will itch for a move to Athletico given the chance next summer I have no doubts. We are but a stepping stone for him at his age I fear sadly. 

Talk today that FIFA will ban the Brazilian players who didn’t go to Brazil for the game - including for example the three lads at Liverpool… despite the covid rules saying that they couldn’t have played… just shows what a mess this is and that expecting anyone to have navigated it is a little nuts. 

2 hours ago, Adman said:

I imagine you'd trust your wife to have checked the rules and ensured you were both complying with them if she was booking everything, just as the 2 Emis would have done with whoever from the AFA organised their trip.

Â