Ollie Watkins

alreadyexists

Well that's just one example the rest of them all first made their names in the championship before doing well at premier league level. You could even argue that the same is true for Pukki despite the clubs he played for beforehand, that much is logical when you consider he wouldn't have even have ended up at Norwich in the championship with no money to spend if he had done anything noteworthy beforehand.

8 hours ago, Brentfordnylons said:

Watkins has the appearance of a pretty boy but he’s as tough as old boots doesn’t get wound up is rarely booked or injured.Over the years  seen  the likes of Gray,Hogan ( very good for us but over only 30 games )Vibe and Maupay  and Oli is by far the better all round player.My only concern would be that the few times he played as striker under Dean he was ineffective but I’m sure he has studied how Thomas has got the best out of him.This isn’t a dig at Dean as Maupay was our first choice striker and we set up a lot different these days.Theres no certainties when you are paying 50 mill for a striker in the PL but at around 20 mill plus add ons it’s a fair gamble.

Do you think playing him wide for first 10 games might help him settle in, how was he for you wide in the front 3? I just don't want to give him the pressure of having to score immediately which he'd get if he started the season as our CF although perhaps he has the mentality in which he'd thrive with that pressure.

Just looking at his first season in championship in 17/18 and he scored once in his first 8 games although I haven't looked to see if he started them all and if he was central or wide. Picked up afterwards but still only 10 goals in his first season although that's not bad if he was primarily out wide.

Just had a look and Tammy in his first prem season at Swansea scored 5 goals.

Vardy in his first prem season at Leicester in 14/15 scored 5 goals.

Ashley Barnes at Burnley in 14/15 scored 5 goals.

Josh King in 15/16 scored 6 goals.

Even Benteke in his first season only had about 3 goals up to January but we could all see his potential from games like Liverpool away.

Really the ones that come up need a good 6-12 months to get to grips with the extra pace, the quicker and stronger CBs and generally how the play is quicker.

That's why I can't understand if we sign Watkins and make him the main CF straight away, would be under insane pressure to hit the ground running and I think that got to Wesley a bit when he needed to be eased in more. Then hopefully Watkins will get going from December onwards but it'll be nice to have the insurance of a more proven striker even if it's just a season long loan.

Edited by VillaChris
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, VillaChris said:

That's why I can't understand if we sign Watkins and make him the main CF straight away, would be under insane pressure to hit the ground running and I think that got to Wesley a bit when he needed to be eased in more.

Agreed. We defo need another striker to come in with Ollie. 

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Even Benteke in his first season only had about 3 goals up to January but we could all see his potential from games like Liverpool away.

Huh? If you include cup games he’d scored 6 by January ...and this included two that he scored in Liverpool away game.

7 hours ago, The Fun Factory said:

Its quite funny that this thread is nearly a third of the Rashica one and this is the actual player we will be buying.

Are we? It has been a month and we still haven't met the fee Brentford are actually demanding.

8 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Really the ones that come up need a good 6-12 months to get to grips with the extra pace, the quicker and stronger CBs and generally how the play is quicker.

That's why I can't understand if we sign Watkins and make him the main CF straight away, would be under insane pressure to hit the ground running and I think that got to Wesley a bit when he needed to be eased in more. Then hopefully Watkins will get going from December onwards but it'll be nice to have the insurance of a more proven striker even if it's just a season long loan.

Surely how he deals with pressure comes into play when you buy him. Forwards are judged on goals and he'll need to deliver them. Whether its dealing with pressure on day 1 or following a 5-6 game streak without a goal we have to be confident he can deal with that.

None of us can control the pressure and expectation he will face therefore its essential he can deal with it 

• Like 1

Do you think playing him wide for first 10 games might help him settle in, how was he for you wide in the front 3? I just don't want to give him the pressure of having to score immediately which he'd get if he started the season as our CF although perhaps he has the mentality in which he'd thrive with that pressure.

Just looking at his first season in championship in 17/18 and he scored once in his first 8 games although I haven't looked to see if he started them all and if he was central or wide. Picked up afterwards but still only 10 goals in his first season although that's not bad if he was primarily out wide.

I am sure if you are paying that sort of money you play him as a striker and let him progress as one.As some have pointed out on here most strikers need a season under their belt before you get what you paid for.Looks like Toney has been confirmed now for us which I’m very happy about.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Brentfordnylons said:

I am sure if you are paying that sort of money you play him as a striker and let him progress as one.As some have pointed out on here most strikers need a season under their belt before you get what you paid for.Looks like Toney has been confirmed now for us which I’m very happy about.

Where are these players getting confirmed?

8 hours ago, The Fun Factory said:

Its quite funny that this thread is nearly a third of the Rashica one and this is the actual player we will be buying.

Are we though?

35 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

Are we? It has been a month and we still haven't met the fee Brentford are actually demanding.

Could be this summers Maupay.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Brentfordnylons said:

Interesting question, but if you could pick one to have up top out of Maupay and Watkins, who would it be? 

Same question for @jonjon

Edited by Delphinho123

Think you're overthinking it.

Watkins will be coming as main CF and will be the player we look to get goals.

If he doesn't then Wesley may get another chance. Let's not forget though that Wesley has never scored the goals that Watkins has - even when playing at a comparable or lower level than the championship.

7 minutes ago, nick76 said:

I think we’ll struggle then this season, he’s good but shouldn’t be our main striker.  He should the 2nd of our two strikers this season.  Too much of a risk.

Which striker would you buy that wouldn’t be a risk then as our number 1? 

21 minutes ago, hippo said:

Think you're overthinking it.

Watkins will be coming as main CF and will be the player we look to get goals.

7 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

Which striker would you buy that wouldn’t be a risk then as our number 1? 

For the big money mentioned for this guy and Edouard, I would sooner splash the cash on a proven PL goalscorer.

Â