Ollie Watkins

alreadyexists

4 hours ago, Delphinho123 said:

Which striker would you buy that wouldn’t be a risk then as our number 1? 

Rondon or Kevin Gamiero or someone from Bundesliga (would've said Ibisevic from Berlin but he's 35 now) on season long loan. Watkins out wide and centrally later on in the season like when Gabby first broke through into the team as that really helped his development.

I'm convinced we're playing the long game with Tammy Abraham. Can't get him this summer but I reckon he'll be looking to move next summer and if DS is still manager then we'll likely be mid table and rising so feels an obvious target. Will have less on his contract aswell if he dosen't sign a new one so fee will be a bit lower.

That's why I think an experienced head stop gap upfront for a year actually makes sense if that's our long term plan. Saying that it wouldn't shock me at all if we eventually sign Edouard aswell.

We simply can't mess around with strikers after last season. I wouldn't even say 3 is enough depth if one is Davis who constantly gets injured. We started last season with 3 strikers and by January they were all injured or about to be sold.

11 minutes ago, Follyfoot said:

Not arff

Back in the 70s my Mom and Dad always went to Brentford Nylons to buy a set of sheets for wedding presents. There was a whole generation of people who got an electric shock every time they went to bed. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, JPAngel said:

We already have a striker of that ilk unfortunately.

I think Watkins will be our only striker signed this summer because we won’t want to impact big Wes too much both in terms of confidence and also to protect our investment in him. We’ve got four senior strikers battling for one spot.

Wesley isn't going to be back until November from what I've heard. It was a very serious injury and we've seen other strikers of ours get similar injuries and not be the same when they return.

Davis really needs a loan but guess he'll stay and be used like he was post lockdown but I really don't think that will bring him on much as a striker like playing every week in championship would. And if he gets injured down there it dosen't impact on us much.

4 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

Back in the 70s my Mom and Dad always went to Brentford Nylons to buy a set of sheets for wedding presents. There was a whole generation of people who got an electric shock every time they went to bed. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

9 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

Haha even Brentford fans call them Small Heath now. Take a bow son 🤣 

They hate them for taking Jota, Harlee Dean and Colin all in that one window a few years back when Redknapp was there. Not just us who sign players from there who then aren't as good in another system. Ryan woods is another who massively flopped at Stoke and now at Millwall. Brentford must have a really good set up off the field for players to quickly settle in and play well which I think gets overlooked.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Jas10 said:

If we are getting Watkins, I’d like us to bring in Benrahma too (links have gone quiet but maybe that’s a good thing, linked up well with Watkins and would help the pair to settle & perform more quickly).

Ollie won’t be signed to play wide (makes no sense and why interfere with his progress and form?), he’ll be playing CF where he has developed and hit form. Doesn’t make sense to play him wide where he has never really stood out or “shone” unless it’s covering for injuries etc.

Personally, I would have liked us to go for a bigger signing in that position but who knows? He could be a revelation, needs quality around him to score though...

Benrahma & another winger would be great and much needed.

Honestly though, if these end up as our main signings in attack, I feel we cannot be as ambitious as we hope quite yet and will be making slower progress than anticipated.

Hard to judge anything yet, until we have most of our business completed...

My counter to that is wasn't Bowen playing more centrally for Hull last season? West Ham signed him but decided in a relegation battle it was too risky for him to play CF for them so just stuck him out wide where he did fine for them in the run in.

The scars of summer 2015 are still deep for me. Thinking Gestede could just replace Benteke. Ayew was better but he was still more of a second striker who could drop deep and link up so it was a massive void and one I just don't want us repeating.

10 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Rondon or Kevin Gamiero or someone from Bundesliga (would've said Ibisevic from Berlin but he's 35 now) o

I totally agree Rondon would be an absolute no brainer IF he was available.

But the guy went to China on absolutely astronomical wages. He is probably on double what Grealish is on!

Absolutely no way he would come to Villa and take an enormous pay cut

1 minute ago, ramshackler said:

I totally agree Rondon would be an absolute no brainer IF he was available.

But the guy went to China on absolutely astronomical wages. He is probably on double what Grealish is on!

Absolutely no way he would come to Villa and take an enormous pay cut

Players do come back from China after a year or two, Yannick Carasco rejoined Atletico Madrid last year. Ighalo went to Man. United.

Rondon was desperate to go to Newcastle but they couldn't afford him permanently. I reckon he'll go back to europe when Benitez isn't managing him there anymore.

Marko Arnautovic could be another target although he's shown at two different prem clubs he's a very difficult personality to handle when you hit a run of poor form so doubt he's someone DS would want if he was available.

Rondon has just under 2.5 years left on a reported £250k/week contract in China.

Club is tanking under Rafa Benitez thou and if he gets sacked they might decide to buy out the contracts of their expensive players? All new contracts in the league will have a £40k/week wage cap.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, sne said:

Rondon has just under 2.5 years left on a reported £250k/week contract in China.

Club is tanking under Rafa Benitez thou and if he gets sacked they might decide to buy out the contracts of their expensive players? All new contracts in the league will have a £40k/week wage cap.

The same Rafa that people have been crying on here for last 2 years to take us to the next level 🤔

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

The scars of summer 2015 are still deep for me. Thinking Gestede could just replace Benteke.

One of those appalling, transparently poor decisions that demonstrated the shrugging amateurishness of our approach to that woeful season.

6 hours ago, Delphinho123 said:

Interesting question, but if you could pick one to have up top out of Maupay and Watkins, who would it be? 

Same question for @jonjon

Watkins by a country mile.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, jonjon said:

Watkins by a country mile.

Interesting (and great if we sign him), as I always thought Maupay was a terrific little player. 

I really like Watkins attitude though. His work rate seems fantastic and I think he has a lot of attributes to make it in the Prem - strong, quick, good in the air and works hard. 

Just now, Delphinho123 said:

Interesting (and great if we sign him), as I always thought Maupay was a terrific little player. 

I really like Watkins attitude though. His work rate seems fantastic and I think he has a lot of attributes to make it in the Prem - strong, quick, good in the air and works hard. 

You are not wrong in your judgement, he is all you say, you won't get a fitter player on the pitch, he played a full game for every match this season, except for 6 minutes when he was replaced, he has only missed a hand full of games in 175 matches, He is a super fit athlete who looks after himself,  you won't hear a bad word about him either, even when he moves on, we shall all miss him, but we are used to this scenario each year, hope out of all the teams supposedly in for him he chooses Villa, it will suit your type of play, he will be coming as the main man not prepared to play 2nd fiddle and he will do very well indeed.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

holds the ball up well as well, he is like a goal scoring Davis

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, avfcDJ said:

I really like Watkins and can see him scoring 12-15 goals in his first season and then perhaps more from that point. I can also see him going through a dry spell next season so we need to stick with him. I reckon 6 goals before Christmas. None till March, then another 6-9.

Isn’t that the course that Wes was on before he got injured? and he got slaughtered on this forum.....

Edited by nick76
  • Like 1

Â