Ollie Watkins

alreadyexists

3 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

For the big money mentioned for this guy and Edouard, I would sooner splash the cash on a proven PL goalscorer.

I'd throw cash money at Ings - 28 I know, but guaranteed goals. Probs not gettable unless silly money, but a huge investment for PL safety. 

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1

I'm not sure we would sign Watkins to be a striker per say. I think he'd be signed to change it up with our right wing. Maybe I'm wrong, as a lot of people here have seen Watkins more than me, especially the Brentford lads. 

What I can say is that from what I've seen of our team the last few years, we've lacked his type of player in the wide areas as well. Depending of what line-up we end up with I could easily see a front three of Grealish - Wesley/Watkins - Watkins/new winger.

My main point about Watkins going wide is that he seems the polar opposite of Grealish, and I think that variation would suit us. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Jareth said:

I'd throw cash money at Ings - 28 I know, but guaranteed goals. Probs not gettable unless silly money, but a huge investment for PL safety. 

Why would Southampton sell Ings to us? Why would Ings move sideways to us?

I would imagine Saints would only sell him to us for around £75m. And we'd have to pay him £150k a week for him to come even look round the training ground.

Not a sensible signing IMO.

Watkins is a brilliant signing if it comes through.

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

For the big money mentioned for this guy and Edouard, I would sooner splash the cash on a proven PL goalscorer.

£50m strikers aren't going to come to Villa and they would smash the wage structure at the club. Also there aren't many proven PL goalscorers on the market, can't see Inter selling us Lukaku. Edouard and Watkins are the level we are at in terms of buying players. Like all midtable PL teams we have to overpay for players and gamble that they will be a success.   

Edited by villa89

The reason so many teams want Watkins is because of his form last season as the main striker, previous to that his form as a winger wasn't anywhere near as good, hence why you never saw him linked with a move to the premier league despite him having a £10m buyout clause, he can do a job on the wing but probably isn't any better in that position than someone like El Ghazi.

If we want a winger we'll buy someone who's been better than just okay in that position at championship level.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, villa89 said:

£50m strikers aren't going to come to Villa and they would smash the wage structure at the club. Also there aren't many proven PL goalscorers on the market, can't see Inter selling us Lukaku. Edouard and Watkins are the level we are at in terms of buying players. Like all midtable PL teams we have to overpay for players and gamble that they will be a success.   

I see.

22 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

Which striker would you buy that wouldn’t be a risk then as our number 1? 

It’s a good question and there is risk with all signings.  I just think going into the season with Watkins, Wes, Samatta and Davis as our strikers doesn’t fill me with confidence.  

We don’t know how Wes will come back after injury and if he’ll step up.  

We don’t know if Watkins can step up and be a Vardy rather than a Dwight Gayle.

Samatta, who knows...looked good pre lockdown but awful post lockdown

Davis, as most know I’m not a fan.

So I’d love Watkins but as 2nd striker, allowed time to acclimatise to the PL and less risk to us if he can’t step up.

I don’t know who to bring in as main striker...I’d love Tammy but not available.  I don’t know who else is really available.  I suppose it doesn’t have to be somebody better than Watkins but another option.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

I would imagine Saints would only sell him to us for around £75m. And we'd have to pay him £150k a week for him to come even look round the training ground.

Brilliant is an exaggeration, it’s a good signing but doesn’t sort out the risk we have in the striker area and is a big risk that he doesn’t step up.

Imagine a scenario where we convert El Ghazi to a centre-forward and next season he's the top goal scorer in the premier league, wins player of the year and is wanted by an host of clubs willng to play a huge sum for his signature. Whoever signed him in that hypothetical scenario wouldn't then put him back on the wing just because he can do a job there, he'd be signed as a centre-forward.

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

I’m in Darren bent mode. 

• Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, nick76 said:

I think we’ll struggle then this season, he’s good but shouldn’t be our main striker.  He should the 2nd of our two strikers this season.  Too much of a risk.

I think the other options are out of our reach. I'm not totally sold on Watkins - but think he represents a better chance of getting the goals than Wesley did. Simply because has been prolific - where as Wesley never had.

With Davis likely to go on loan and Wesley still out injured and not likely to be match fit for a while once back to full fitness, I think there's a very good chance that as well as Watkins we will sign an additional striker, probably won't be another expensive one, but either someone on loan or for around ten or fifteen million pounds to help take some of the burden off Watkins, and give us another option.

4 minutes ago, useless said:

With Davis likely to go on loan and Wesley still out injured and not likely to be match fit for a while once back to full fitness, I think there's a very good chance that as well as Watkins we will sign an additional striker, probably won't be another expensive one, but either someone on loan or for around ten or fifteen million pounds to help take some of the burden off Watkins, and give us another option.

We already have a striker of that ilk unfortunately.

I think Watkins will be our only striker signed this summer because we won’t want to impact big Wes too much both in terms of confidence and also to protect our investment in him. We’ve got four senior strikers battling for one spot.

2 minutes ago, JPAngel said:

We already have a striker of that ilk unfortunately.

I think Watkins will be our only striker signed this summer because we won’t want to impact big Wes too much both in terms of confidence and also to protect our investment in him. We’ve got four senior strikers battling for one spot.

It’s a condensed season with a higher than normal impact on players, we will go into the season with more players than we would have done in normal circumstances.

16 minutes ago, hippo said:

I think the other options are out of our reach. I'm not totally sold on Watkins - but think he represents a better chance of getting the goals than Wesley did. Simply because has been prolific - where as Wesley never had.

For one season, the first season he played as a striker....that is a massive concern for me.  I want him but not if he’s the only striker coming in.

11 minutes ago, useless said:

That would be very disappointing 

32 minutes ago, useless said:

Imagine a scenario where we convert El Ghazi to a centre-forward and next season he's the top goal scorer in the premier league, wins player of the year and is wanted by an host of clubs willng to play a huge sum for his signature. 

I can't it's almost Netflix sci-fi territory!

(I totally agree with your point - stop trying to convert players, buy them, and play them where they're proven).

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Â