Ollie Watkins

alreadyexists

11 minutes ago, Brentfordnylons said:

We were poor in the play off final all over the pitch but if you saw the 2 league games against Fulham which we won and most games last season you might have a different opinion.Whoever he signs for in the PL he will get goals and I predict this Tuesday we will announce a big signing and Watkins will be paraded in a Villa shirt for an undisclosed fee so not to upset the account fans on here 😀

My thoughts as well, you cant judge a player on one game and if we do sign him, its Dean's job to get the best out of him. 

From what I've seen he could start through the middle of deployed wide supporting wesley when hes back. 

One of the main benefits is that he can play a range of systems and will complement other players.

12 minutes ago, Brentfordnylons said:

We were poor in the play off final all over the pitch but if you saw the 2 league games against Fulham which we won and most games last season you might have a different opinion.Whoever he signs for in the PL he will get goals and I predict this Tuesday we will announce a big signing and Watkins will be paraded in a Villa shirt for an undisclosed fee so not to upset the account fans on here 😀

Do you think he will be successful at Villa and if so why? I saw quite a bit of Maupay before he moved and he looked good enough to me. He was technically good, strong and very clever. I don’t have the same feeling with Watkins. He is obviously better than Hogan but is he really that much better?

4 minutes ago, cheltenham_villa said:

My thoughts as well, you cant judge a player on one game and if we do sign him, its Dean's job to get the best out of him. 

From what I've seen he could start through the middle of deployed wide supporting wesley when hes back. 

One of the main benefits is that he can play a range of systems and will complement other players.

I don’t think anyone is judging him on one game. Obviously nobody will have seen him as much as Brentford fans but I think some of the question marks are justified.

For me he doesn’t seem to create chances for himself and that at PL level is a concern, looking at his goals I also don’t think his finishing is perhaps clinical enough at PL level.

But I think we will sign him so we will get to find out for ourselves.

• Like 1

Just now, TrentVilla said:

I don’t think anyone is judging him on one game. Obviously nobody will have seen him as much as Brentford fans but I think some of the question marks are justified.

For me he doesn’t seem to create chances for himself and that at PL level is a concern, looking at his goals I also don’t think his finishing is perhaps clinical enough at PL level.

But I think we will sign him so we will get to find out for ourselves.

Other than tammy (which is very tentative) I think all of the players were linked with unfortunately come with question Marks. I think that's unavoidable if you're paying c20-30m for strikers/wingers. 

If you want to guarantee a bit more, you've got to pay more (and even then people will quote some flops)

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, cheltenham_villa said:

If we use him as anything other than a striker I will be very worried. He has questions to be answered over his ability as a cf at premier league level but he really was an average wide forward in the Championship. I hope he proves me wrong but this feels like a bit of a desperate move to me. I think Wes is better.

I watched quite a bit of championship football last season and I thought Watkins was the standout player, he's nothing like Darrent Bent or Scot Hogan, much more of an all round footballer than those two. There's no guarantees that he's going to be able to make the step up to the Premier league but I think he has as good a chance as any championship footballer, put it like this he'll be far and away our best striker unless Wesley and Samatta improve dramatically (not saying they can't).

Also if you watch the goals he scored previous to last season when he was playing as a wide forward you will see that he was more than caple of making his own goals.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, ramshackler said:

Markets mad though, and with rumoured.interest from Leicester and West Ham who wouldn't blink at such wages it may well be true.

Very nervous about this one if I'm honest

We have possibly 3 players on anything like 70k pw, Jack, mings and heaton and I doubt they are on that.

So 2 established premier league players with England caps and our club captain and star player.

The next biggest earners are old contracts like Lansbury, elmo, Taylor, who got boosted when we got promoted to something crazy like 45k pw.

Your targetts Gilbert's luiz Wesley will be on close to 35k pw at most.

We have the 3rd lowest wages in the Premier league last season which is sensible for our 1st year back.

For this reason I can not see any player from lower English leagues who haven't been relegated from the Premier league are going to be given anything above 45k pw.

12 minutes ago, M_Afro said:

Do you think he will be successful at Villa and if so why? I saw quite a bit of Maupay before he moved and he looked good enough to me. He was technically good, strong and very clever. I don’t have the same feeling with Watkins. He is obviously better than Hogan but is he really that much better?

I've watched both Maupay and Watkins many many times, they are both players each with a different set of skills, out of the two Watkins is the better all round player and will score you goals, something you have been lacking in, but please don't even mention him alongside Hogan, it's like chalk and Cheese.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, useless said:

I watched quite a bit of championship football last season and I thought Watkins was the standout player, he's nothing like Darrent Bent or Scot Hogan, much more of an all round footballer than those two. There's no guarantees that he's going to be able to make the step up to the Premier league but I think he has as good a chance as any championship footballer, put it like this he'll be far and away our best striker unless Wesley and Samatta improve dramatically (not saying they can't).

Also if you watch the goals he scored previous to last season when he was playing as a wide forward you will see that he was more than caple of making his own goals.

I will have a look at previous seasons to see his other goals. If you look at the goals he scored last season, almost all of them are ones that he can’t really miss. There are only a couple that you think the odds are against him scoring.

Compare that to Eduoard who scores some absolute belters. From what I have seen so far, I would be much happier if we signed him and left Ollie to prove himself elsewhere. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, jonjon said:

I've watched both Maupay and Watkins many many times, they are both players each with a different set of skills, out of the two Watkins is the better all round player and will score you goals, something you have been lacking in, but please don't even mention him alongside Hogan, it's like chalk and Cheese.

Thanks for the reply. That’s reassuring. Hope you are right!

7 minutes ago, cheltenham_villa said:

Other than tammy (which is very tentative) I think all of the players were linked with unfortunately come with question Marks. I think that's unavoidable if you're paying c20-30m for strikers/wingers. 

If you want to guarantee a bit more, you've got to pay more (and even then people will quote some flops)

I think you’ve hit the nail on the head there. Established strikers that can almost guarantee 15 goals a season are both rare and extremely expensive. We’re not in a position to buy those types of players at the moment.

What we are looking for are players that can potentially get us 15 goals a season and the way we’ve set out our stall to do that is clearly through increasing our data analysis capability. It has worked for other clubs and the guys that we have recently brought on board, at first team and development player levels, seem to have come with decent pedigree. Fingers crossed 🤞

• Like 1

If we sign him the critical thing will be how much time the supporters give him before deciding he is crap and start getting on his back. We have signed numerous players in recent years who were deemed not good enough but who then went on to have good /excellent careers elsewhere in the premier league and Europe.

14 minutes ago, cheltenham_villa said:

I agree.

I just find it frustrating people aren’t able to raise what I think are legitimate concerns with Watkins. I also find it very concerning that a lot of people seem to say things like “if he doesn’t cut it up front he can play wide” which I’m paraphrasing rather than quoting anyone specific but it’s a comment widely made.

We need a goal scorer and we need wide players, not one making do as the other.

I agree there are no sure things with strikers, I just feel like there may be better options but we will soon see.

3 minutes ago, M_Afro said:

I will have a look at previous seasons to see his other goals. If you look at the goals he scored last season, almost all of them are ones that he can’t really miss. There are only a couple that you think the odds are against him scoring.

Compare that to Eduoard who scores some absolute belters. From what I have seen so far, I would be much happier if we signed him and left Ollie to prove himself elsewhere. 

I would prefer us to sign both watkins and Edouard, then wes/ samatta is our 4 forward players this season. I would be happy with that 4 totally different forwards.

Davis should either be offered a contract extension and loaned out or if we can sell him for a couple million i would do that.

• Like 1

I've posted this before but it's a compilation of all his Brentford goals, it clearly shows that he's more than capable of scoring all sorts and creating his own goals and creating chances for others...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, M_Afro said:

Tap ins and 30 yard screamers all count the same. Creating chances hasn’t really been a major problem for us, it’s finishing them that has been our Achilles heel. If we’d have finished off half of the easy chances we missed last season we’d probably have been safe with 5 games to go. 

How many wonder goals did Gary Lineker, Alan Shearer, Darren Bent or Peter Withe score? 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, brummybloke said:

I would prefer us to sign both watkins and Edouard, then wes/ samatta is our 4 forward players this season. I would be happy with that 4 totally different forwards.

Davis should either be offered a contract extension and loaned out or if we can sell him for a couple million i would do that.

I'd keep hold of Davis over Samatta as one of the four any day of the week. He's an absolute beast in training and its only a matter of time before that translates into a game scenario. I feel if we let go of him he will become excellent for another rival. At worst, ensure we loan him to someone near the top of the championship and I reckon he'd return with 10-15 goals. 

Edited by Steero113

2 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

Tap ins and 30 yard screamers all count the same. Creating chances hasn’t really been a major problem for us, it’s finishing them that has been our Achilles heel. If we’d have finished off half of the easy chances we missed last season we’d probably have been safe with 5 games to go. 

How many wonder goals did Gary Lineker, Alan Shearer, Darren Bent or Peter Withe score? 

Literally 50+

Â