Ollie Watkins

alreadyexists

Just now, Thug said:

I refuse to judge any player until we get a proper manager in charge

That's where I am too

We are absolutely **** awful as an attacking unit, as a whole team as an attacking entity we are garbage, we're slow and ponderous

Watching tonight what are people expecting seriously? We offer nothing, he's not the reason he's just a part of a larger problem

• Like 2

His best season was behind closed doors when he and Grealish were brilliant down the left side. He's not had anyone out wide to interlink with ever since Grealish left and it's affecting his game.

In fact, tonight, he looked better when he was moved out wide left. With Coutinho our only really option for that position I would move Watkins there and play Ings through the middle. 

Diabolical today.

Think the defender may have spared his blushes as well, by cutting out Ramsey’s squared ball as he looked offside again!

I do share the opinion that Gerrard’s “system” is a very poor representation of almost everyone’s actual ability though, as so many players have regressed.

1 hour ago, AVTuco said:

Not a PL footballer. Never was, and now it's there for everyone to see. Horrible player.

This. I was laughed out of here by most when I pointed out his limitations in his first season with us.

The Archer dribble, then looking for a quick 1-2 with Watkins...Watkins attempt to get it back to him was comically bad. One of the many reasons why attacking momentum is non-existent for us.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, villa4europe said:

That's where I am too

We are absolutely **** awful as an attacking unit, as a whole team as an attacking entity we are garbage, we're slow and ponderous

Watching tonight what are people expecting seriously? We offer nothing, he's not the reason he's just a part of a larger problem

Our build up is so slow, by the time we get the ball up the pitch, there’s 21 players there, no space to do anything 

• Like 1

His total lack of control was summed up when he tried to chest the ball, it went 5 foot away from him, chesting it.

His decision making again, he's along the line, defending players are not looking for the offside and he manages to get himself offside from a ball played in the area across.

Just one of 3 players that this season, every game they are appalling and a huge reason we are so bad.

The forward, a central midfielder and konsa, that's the spine of the team who are pretty shocking the majority of the games.

The main problem is obviously the thick haired suit wearing squeaky voiced bin dipper but at least have some pride if you're one of his favourites and guaranteed to start.

11 hours ago, bobzy said:

Watkins might not be the striker we need - but, for **** sake, HOW IS THE MIDFIELD NEVER ANYWHERE NEAR HIM?!?

His decision making needs work, but the best he could have even possibly done tonight was pass the ball backwards. We have absolutely no-one making runs behind the defence. It’s insane!

Tifo did a video on the weekend and one of the clips was vs West Ham. Watkins had it on the left wing and Ings in the box and 6 West Ham defenders in the clip and no other Villa player within 30 metres of goal

39 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Tifo did a video on the weekend and one of the clips was vs West Ham. Watkins had it on the left wing and Ings in the box and 6 West Ham defenders in the clip and no other Villa player within 30 metres of goal

Yeah - I feel really sorry for Watkins to be honest.  He's a hard working player and is being asked to do so much but with **** all reward.  It's staggering that we're unable to create from a midfield of Buendia, Coutinho, Ramsey and McGinn.

20 hours ago, Thug said:

Don’t let ur hate for Gerrard cloud ur judgement on Watkins. It’s ok to think both r p*** poor.

Having an awful first touch, or inability to finish isn’t Gerard’s fault.

21 hours ago, Thug said:

I don’t know why with due respect - the manager has nothing to do with him being not very good at football.

Watkins has the same touch as that fat bloke who used to play no 11

• Like 1

8 hours ago, DCJonah said:

Would it be better if we moved him out wide? 

I doubt it, his technique just isn't there, nor is his decision making.

At best, we'd get something similar to what Trez had to offer, lots of graft and dynamism, but that wouldn't solve our attacking issues.

2 hours ago, ChesterDad said:

I don’t know why with due respect - the manager has nothing to do with him being not very good at football.

Watkins has the same touch as that fat bloke who used to play no 11

Just two seasons ago he was playing brilliantly.

He never had a finishers touch, but he was playing very very well.

Earned himself an England call up.

Â