Ollie Watkins

alreadyexists

2 minutes ago, Villarocker said:

I'd seriously look at playing him wide left with Ings down the centre. He certainly brings more to the team than Coutinho so shouldn't be dropped before him. 

He can’t beat a man. The front three aren’t allowed to press and force errors therefore Ollie’s game has been totally nullified.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, ChesterDad said:

With all due respect I disagree - what is the point in a willing runner who essentially does feck all when he gets the ball, other than give it away?

Archer seems an equally mobile and willing runner, with a better touch - it feels somewhat of a no brainier to give him an opportunity ? 

I mean it's not *just* about being a willing runner, that's just one part. It's, well it's all the other things I also said. If you think Archer is going to get a lot of success challenging 6 ft 5 burley premier league defenders for hopeful long punts forward then you must have been watching a different player to me.

Its not that he's not a good player, I really like him, but he plays on the shoulder most of the time. He can do other things too, but what makes him a potential PL player is that ability to get in behind and finish chances, a bit like Owen was. He could probably put in OK performances in our current team, but for all his faults Watkins isn't just a runner, his touch is off and his finishing is poor at the moment but he is capable of standing up to and almost bullying much bigger players. When he does that the ball can fall to our other players, when he holds up the ball it allows other players to make the 80 yard run forward to actually try and attack. 

Watkins at the moment can't beat a man, his touch is off and his finishing is poor, no argument from me, and if I were in charge I'd like to play Ings or Archer and set the team up to service them (runners off Ings, so the likes of Buendia Ramsey and Bailey, with a creative, defence minded base behind them in midfield, like Luiz and Kamara or McGinn, or quick movement and creative players behind Archer, so Coutinho, Buendia, McGinn with at least 1 runner behind them to pull the ball forward like Ramsey), but the fact is that Gerrard does not play that way. He needs someone up top who can do what Watkins does and hold the ball up because we just do not provide any service to whoever plays up front

There's no point being an excellent finisher if you never get the ball in dangerous positions in the first place, I'd like to see Archer play as much as anyone, but he'll just be bullied in our set up and we'll turn over possession more than we already do, although it could work if he were to play up front with Ings or Watkins, but that would mean changing our set up again which, let's be honest, Gerrard just isn't going to do

5 hours ago, weedman said:

I mean it's not *just* about being a willing runner, that's just one part. It's, well it's all the other things I also said. If you think Archer is going to get a lot of success challenging 6 ft 5 burley premier league defenders for hopeful long punts forward then you must have been watching a different player to me.

Its not that he's not a good player, I really like him, but he plays on the shoulder most of the time. He can do other things too, but what makes him a potential PL player is that ability to get in behind and finish chances, a bit like Owen was. He could probably put in OK performances in our current team, but for all his faults Watkins isn't just a runner, his touch is off and his finishing is poor at the moment but he is capable of standing up to and almost bullying much bigger players. When he does that the ball can fall to our other players, when he holds up the ball it allows other players to make the 80 yard run forward to actually try and attack. 

Watkins at the moment can't beat a man, his touch is off and his finishing is poor, no argument from me, and if I were in charge I'd like to play Ings or Archer and set the team up to service them (runners off Ings, so the likes of Buendia Ramsey and Bailey, with a creative, defence minded base behind them in midfield, like Luiz and Kamara or McGinn, or quick movement and creative players behind Archer, so Coutinho, Buendia, McGinn with at least 1 runner behind them to pull the ball forward like Ramsey), but the fact is that Gerrard does not play that way. He needs someone up top who can do what Watkins does and hold the ball up because we just do not provide any service to whoever plays up front

There's no point being an excellent finisher if you never get the ball in dangerous positions in the first place, I'd like to see Archer play as much as anyone, but he'll just be bullied in our set up and we'll turn over possession more than we already do, although it could work if he were to play up front with Ings or Watkins, but that would mean changing our set up again which, let's be honest, Gerrard just isn't going to do

My main point here is that I don’t even think Watkins holds the ball up any where near as often as you allude too, most time the ball is played up to him, it bounces off him or he miss controls the ball or the defender has an easy take from him, to my mind he has been pretty ineffective for 90% of his time on the pitch so far.

With regards to Archer, clearly it would represent a gamble right now - but for me and what I have seen of him thus far, his technique is better than Watkins, he is mobile so can work the channels, he can as you rightly say, play on the shoulder and as for those 6.5 defenders go ahead let them clatter him and we’ll take the free kick and they take the yellow/reds.

To be truthful with you - I see very little value in starting him right now. Too many are harping back to his first season with us, in fairness he did well, but right now he looks a million miles from being that player.

Only time will tell if he can get back close to that form - one swallow doesn’t make a summer.

I’m not completely writing him off just now - I am prepared to see how he goes under a new manager, but I do have serious doubts tbh with you 

For someone who is in the team for his added physicality, he gets bullied too often and doesn't often outpace people. 

He just needs to be on the end of balls into the box or running through when a defence is turned. 

This slow build up play, coupled with hopeful crosses just keep highlighting his weaknesses. 

He can get goals at this level but is being used incorrectly as per most of the players. 

So Ollie does some good things and works hard as per usual but is utterly hopeless at goal scoring. We were unlucky today as the effort and positive play was there but mistakes led to the goals. If we played like this all season probably have a few more points on board.

Just now, birdman said:

El Ghazi would certainly have a few goals to his name by now!

He was arguably the best finisher at the club. He was also absolutely horrid for large spells, no question, but then so is Watkins and if I had to pick between one to play on the left, it would be El Ghazi. He’s more skilful, better at crossing, a better finisher and just as fast. 

Both aren’t good enough to play on the left of a front three for us by the way.

• Like 4

Â