Ollie Watkins

alreadyexists

1 hour ago, Dale said:

I want the guy back that knocked in a perfect hattrick against Liverpool, a brace against Arsenal and drove with absolute confidence, leading a ten man team to victory against Palace. It's in there. 

Pochettino got Rickie Lambert appearing worthy of a move to Liverpool, I've no doubt he'll improve Ollie. 

I don't see that Watkins returning under Gerrard. The man seems to be incapable of motivating anyone.

Under a proper manager... hopefully so.

26 minutes ago, MrBlack said:

I don't see that Watkins returning under Gerrard. The man seems to be incapable of motivating anyone.

Under a proper manager... hopefully so.

Think its a case of confidence more than anything, and our team plays without any. Need someone to come in, believe in them, and impart knowledge and wisdom. Stevie ain't it. 

Utterly useless last night - how on earth did he become a professional footballer  based on that ?He has the same technical level that the previous fat useless number 11 had.

My only chink of optimism is that his confidence must be totally shot to pieces and maybe just maybe a new coach can get a tune out of him.

3 hours ago, ChesterDad said:

Utterly useless last night - how on earth did he become a professional footballer  based on that ?He has the same technical level that the previous fat useless number 11 had.

My only chink of optimism is that his confidence must be totally shot to pieces and maybe just maybe a new coach can get a tune out of him.

Played mostly with his back to goal. His touch is really bad and so is the way he uses his weight and body to give him time and protect the ball.

He's not a donkey. He's not.

He's sharp with decent instincts and scores goals and works hard.

Now let's supply the guy instead of using him like Andy Carroll.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

Played mostly with his back to goal. His touch is really bad and so is the way he uses his weight and body to give him time and protect the ball.

His touch is very bad and instinctive ?  With all due respect I just don’t think he is - I don’t expect him to score these days and isn’t this the essence of an instinctive striker?

In fact if anything he goes to pieces in front of goal at the moment and scuffs the ball.

What I do acknowledge is that he is totally void of confidence and this might well change with the new manager - but the bigger picture will remain and that is, he is unfortunately a limited striker imo 

Pretty sure if we get a decent manager in he’ll be back to the player that comfortably scored double figures in his two PL seasons. Whether he can kick on from there I doubt and I’d like to see us go after someone better next summer, but he’s a 12-15 goal a season striker if used right - we know that.

14 hours ago, rodders0223 said:

👏

Watkins is never going to be a good finisher. He’s never going to have a great first touch. He’s unlikely to ever play with his head up and link the play effectively. He’s too old now to develop those things enough.

He will always work exceptionally hard for the team. He has decent pace and decent strength. Presses the defence well and can work the channels effectively. If he plays, we must play to his strengths. Otherwise, don’t pick him.

The biggest problem is, that his strengths are the weaknesses of Ings and vice versa. If you could combine the two, you would have a top player. I think we need to choose a team, formation and tactics that best suit our collective and then pick it consistently. That means you either play Ings or Watkins but not both. In my view, that means we pick a team to press from the front, which means Watkins starts.

3 hours ago, Adam2003 said:

Pretty sure if we get a decent manager in he’ll be back to the player that comfortably scored double figures in his two PL seasons. Whether he can kick on from there I doubt and I’d like to see us go after someone better next summer, but he’s a 12-15 goal a season striker if used right - we know that.

Watkins is at his best with space to run into and quick counter attacking football. This slow build up play and narrow formation made the field to compact for him and robbed him of his best qualities, this then hit his confidence and he's a big confidence player.

I think 4 2 3 1 and 3 4 1 2 / 3 4 3 are the formations that best suit our squad of players. I can imagine new coach going for these

• Like 1

Â