Ollie Watkins

alreadyexists

1 hour ago, danceoftheshamen said:

Think the Watkins & Ings together thing has been proven to be ineffective. I would like to see him with Archer just to see if it could work.

IIRC he did that with Archer during pre-season down here in Australia. Against Brisbane Roar, I think - when they had 10 men behind the ball. And it wasn't for the full game.

He either got or should have got an assist for Archer.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, ozvillafan said:

IIRC he did that with Archer during pre-season down here in Australia. Against Brisbane Roar, I think - when they had 10 men behind the ball. And it wasn't for the full game.

He either got or should have got an assist for Archer.

He got an assist but was unintentional, he tried to control a pass and it went to Archer who scored

3 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

he can do that every week if he wants

I know you speak in jest, but that the issue with Ollie, he is just not technically very good and clearly every mishap is not going to bounce to one of our players to tap in 🤷‍♂️

44 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

We’d be in a much better position if he could find his shooting boots 

I don't think he owns a pair sadly.

He is nowhere near good enough if we want to be a top 10 club.

Even in his best season for us he could hardly be described as prolific.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, dubliner said:

I don't think he owns a pair sadly.

He is nowhere near good enough if we want to be a top 10 club.

Even in his best season for us he could hardly be described as prolific.

I really don’t get why Steven keeps playing him, we need Ings and Cam ahead of him. He’s cost us too many points. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

I really don’t get why Steven keeps playing him, we need Ings and Cam ahead of him. He’s cost us too many points. 

Because we don't play enough football to not have Watkins there winning a lot of spare balls.

He's not great, but he's not that bad.

We can easily finish top 10 with him in the side. 

We can evidentially achieve 55 points with him in the side. Doubt we'll see 55 points again until Gerrard is gone.

25 minutes ago, Zatman said:

His XG for the season is an incredible 1.86 so he isnt really getting loads of chances

Tbf to him I'd say most of the chances he had against Leeds weren't clear cut. Meslier was in his face from what I remember. The Coutinho rebound he probably should have done better with.

But, what costs him more, is his reading of the game. The reason that he was so close to the keeper for the chances is because he doesn't anticipate the pass, he doesn't even see them. He reacts as the pass is coming, he's rarely on the shoulder waiting to run.

His finishing is poor as well generally though.

4 minutes ago, Tom13 said:

Last season he missed a few good opportunities too; unfortunately considering he was training over the Summer on his finishing it doesn't look to have improved.

Yes he missed a few against Leeds but i do remember others, Palace and West Ham too.

His energy though is amazing, works so hard and his ability to hold up the ball has improved.

17 minutes ago, Tom13 said:

Tbf to him I'd say most of the chances he had against Leeds weren't clear cut. Meslier was in his face from what I remember. The Coutinho rebound he probably should have done better with.

But, what costs him more, is his reading of the game. The reason that he was so close to the keeper for the chances is because he doesn't anticipate the pass, he doesn't even see them. He reacts as the pass is coming, he's rarely on the shoulder waiting to run.

i thought that was the hardest one! that's not a bad miss IMO that's split second anticipation to make your mind up how to kick the ball and then another split second in reactions to execute it, it looked weird what he actually did but I'm not sure stand there and simply smash it in was ever on for him, he's gone right foot rather than left and that maybe made it harder for him

i thought there were 2 "bad" misses from memory (and it wasnt a memorable game...) the one where young put him through in the 1st half and he tried to put it through the keepers legs which the keeper saved but it was still falling to him or going in despite the save and a defender cleared it and then the one at the where thats a bit more typical ollie and a tighter first touch means he has a better angle and space for the finish but as it was the touch was too heavy and the keeper could make a good save - but both were good goalkeeping

the annoying this is he's actually good really good movement and in a good position for all 3 of them

1 hour ago, duke313 said:

The team as a whole are not creating or scoring enough, can't just pin the blame all on Ollie.

To be fair this is true - however I don’t trust him to convert chances regardless. As others state, he is not good enough to take us where we want to be. Good cover, but not a lot more imo 

53 minutes ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

Last season he missed a few good opportunities too; unfortunately considering he was training over the Summer on his finishing it doesn't look to have improved.

Yes he missed a few against Leeds but i do remember others, Palace and West Ham too.

His energy though is amazing, works so hard and his ability to hold up the ball has improved.

His first touch also leaves a lot to be desired. But his work rate does scare defenders and I think he’s gotten stronger too. 

Â