Ollie Watkins

alreadyexists

4 minutes ago, ChesterDad said:

To be fair this is true - however I don’t trust him to convert chances regardless. As others state, he is not good enough to take us where we want to be. Good cover, but not a lot more imo 

We're never going to be where we want to be with Gerrard, so it doesn't matter.

• Like 1

They briefly discussed Watkins chance of making England squad for World Cup on radio today 😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂 emphasis on the word ‘briefly’

the guy shouldn’t even be playing in the PL let alone make World Cup. People have questioned me many times - Watkins is not the striker to take us forward. Awful. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Mark_1989 said:

They briefly discussed Watkins chance of making England squad for World Cup on radio today 😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂 emphasis on the word ‘briefly’

the guy shouldn’t even be playing in the PL let alone make World Cup. People have questioned me many times - Watkins is not the striker to take us forward. Awful. 

3rd choice for england

Not that there's any point because Southgate would play a one legged kane over Tammy let alone anyone else

The pickings are slim, I'd take Ollie over Bamford or DCL, at least Southgate would get him to press and make some use of him

• Like 1

13 hours ago, villa4europe said:

3rd choice for england

Not that there's any point because Southgate would play a one legged kane over Tammy let alone anyone else

The pickings are slim, I'd take Ollie over Bamford or DCL, at least Southgate would get him to press and make some use of him

At least Ollie will put a shift in. That’s just not enough any more.

14 hours ago, Mark_1989 said:

Well said. He looks every inch the lower league player doing his best, but who's completely out of his depth. His first touch often goes further than I can kick it.

17 hours ago, Mark_1989 said:

Strangely, as much as I criticise Ollie as a player, as he has many faults, he would certainly be a unique option off the bench. His running and energy could create different problems, just as long as he doesn't have to link play or take a crucial first touch in a tight area.

25 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

is michael owen being right about something a harbinger of the apocalypse?

even says it in a sensible well thought out manner rather than being hyperbolic too

Maybe was Michelle Owen

We need to get to a point or find a system where Ollie is an integral part of the attack, but not the focal point or who we rely on to finish.

He is an outstanding " forward " in terms of workrate, pace, and running defenders ragged but his finishing is too inconsistent.

Very valuable to the team but can't be solely relied on for goal IMO.

46 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

We need to get to a point or find a system where Ollie is an integral part of the attack, but not the focal point or who we rely on to finish.

He is an outstanding " forward " in terms of workrate, pace, and running defenders ragged but his finishing is too inconsistent.

Ollies best games with us was the 7-2 Liverpool and the 3-0 Arsenal.  We played a 4231 in those games, with Ollie as the focal point in the attack. 

It seems he really benefited from playing and linking up with Grealish, which he hasn't been able to re-capture with Coutinho or Buendia.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

This is exactly it for me. He has the potential to be fantastic in a pair but it's finding the right partner who he'll work with. I do feel it's worth a try with Archer but you would think this has been tried in training etc? So maybe this is why Archer does not get minutes? Maybe SG just doesn't think they work together either? 

We desperately need to solve this conundrum however to have any hope of European football.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Luckily our tactics have changed to stop pressing and nullify his greatest strength

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Problem is it's not just his finishing. As good as his strengths are (energy, pace, workrate, strength as well), I'm not sure if he'll ever be rounded enough to be consistently good at this level.

Vardy has similar attributes, but is not only a much better finisher, he also seems to keep it simple a lot more.

2 hours ago, danceoftheshamen said:

This is exactly it for me. He has the potential to be fantastic in a pair but it's finding the right partner who he'll work with. I do feel it's worth a try with Archer but you would think this has been tried in training etc? So maybe this is why Archer does not get minutes? Maybe SG just doesn't think they work together either? 

We desperately need to solve this conundrum however to have any hope of European football.

I don’t think he’s smart enough to play with a strike partner. He often lacks awareness of those around him.

Â