Ollie Watkins

alreadyexists

Pure shit. Never wanted him here in the first place and now just utterly desperate for him to leave. How we shelled out the best part of £30m for this lad I’ll never know. We sure love to waste money. 

Poorllie watkins

Nice guy just seriously not good enough. His game play is poor, his finishing is even worse and he often makes the wrong decision.

Not sure whats happened to him but he has got worse as each season has gone on. Absolutely dreadful today

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Spoony said:

Pure shit. Never wanted him here in the first place and now just utterly desperate for him to leave. How we shelled out the best part of £30m for this lad I’ll never know. We sure love to waste money. 

He did very well for Brentford under Thomas Frank, that's why, as you know. The signing made sense at the time, IMO, but he just doesn't cut it in the PL. I'm no fan of Gerrard, but I'm not sure there's evidence it's his fault. Some footballers just don't live up to their promise.    

37 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Think the slagging off here is massively harsh.  His finishing has let us down today, but he's doing pretty much everything else right.

Fair enough to say we need a better striker, but the whole "he's shit", "he needs to know we want rid" is garbage.

If only his finishing was his only weakness.

2 minutes ago, Tom13 said:

If only his finishing was his only weakness.

I think it's his major weakness (which isn't great for a striker :D).  His touch is sometimes off but he generally does the whole winning aerial balls/holding ball up/running channels stuff well.

1 hour ago, Marka Ragnos said:

He did very well for Brentford under Thomas Frank, that's why, as you know. The signing made sense at the time, IMO, but he just doesn't cut it in the PL. I'm no fan of Gerrard, but I'm not sure there's evidence it's his fault. Some footballers just don't live up to their promise.    

I thought he was overrated and absolutely not worth the money, I did not “know” that’s why we were throwing obscene money at a player with one (maybe two?) good championship seasons. I don’t mean that in an I’m right you’re wrong way, I just never thought this was a good signing and think it’s just another in a long line of throwing far too much at average players. 

1 hour ago, Spoony said:

I thought he was overrated and absolutely not worth the money, I did not “know” that’s why we were throwing obscene money at a player with one (maybe two?) good championship seasons. I don’t mean that in an I’m right you’re wrong way, I just never thought this was a good signing and think it’s just another in a long line of throwing far too much at average players. 

Sorry, meant to write "as you may know." He was quite the standout at Brentford, and as far as I know, Dean Smith was keen on his supposed versatility. 20/20 hindsight, you know? Overhyped is a fact, but I can see why that would be a hard thing to guess three years ago. But he's dropped off this year. If you look at his goalscoring, he's steadily declined since leaving Brentford. I just think the PL is too intense for him -- as it is for almost every striker on earth, actually. I sometimes feel like our recruiters or owners or whoever makes these decisions still don't seem to respect the quality and scariness of our own league. Watkins would be a superstar almost everywhere else on earth, I feel, but the top league in England is not everywhere. 

Edited by Marka Ragnos

I'm not anti-Ollie but when there's Archer on the bench waiting to prove himself, give the lad a go and quit hanging on to your tallest striker to launch it up to. 

Ollie has a lot of good assets but he's not un-droppable. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, bobzy said:

Think the slagging off here is massively harsh.  His finishing has let us down today, but he's doing pretty much everything else right.

Fair enough to say we need a better striker, but the whole "he's shit", "he needs to know we want rid" is garbage.

I agree, it was only a couple of games ago that he was brilliant against City. He was also very good in 2020/21.

I don't think he's the player to carry us to Europe, and I get very frustrated watching him at times... but some of the criticism on here is beyond harsh.

Â