Ollie Watkins

alreadyexists

Thought he seemed pretty quick last season but he seems slow lately. He also faffs around on the ball too much when he’s through and complains about everything. Needs to start shooting and get back in his groove, ignore the VT lot saying to pass it

9 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

Gerrard mentioned he wasn't 100% and he was benched to protect him. I'll be surprised if he's not leading the line next week after today's performance. "He loves Watkins", give me strength.

If he was fit enough to be on the bench then he was fit enough to come on if Watkins was that bad.  He praised both Ramsey and Watkins for their work ethic in training. He wont drop watkins. 

2 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

The commentator said Watkins and Ramsey had impressed Gerrard the most in training.  I suspect Watkins will be first choice for a while yet (and deservedly so imo).

I like him and there are far more positives, but he loses the ball too often and puts the team under pressure. 

• Like 1

I think he makes up for most of his deficiencies by having an excellent workbrate, never shying away from the game regardless of how it's going and being quite instinctively sharp, but I do think he lacks quality overall as a footballer at this level in terms of general play. Really has been highlighted especially in these two games where there's been more of an expectation on him to link play, run with the ball etc.

21 minutes ago, Indigo said:

I do think he lacks quality overall as a footballer at this level in terms of general play. Really has been highlighted especially in these two games where there's been more of an expectation on him to link play, run with the ball etc.

Agreed, looks championship sometimes, yet we know he is deadly. Pity. 

5 minutes ago, Brumstopdogs said:

Not at his best but deserves to keep his place IMO.

Ings will have to do better when he plays to take it off him.

i would like to see how Watkins does with Bailey/Buendia (or Young etc) either side of him (like today), i would also like to see how Ings does in the same scenario, as up to now Ings has always played with Watkins.

I think Watkins has been pretty shocking recently in terms of ball retention, passing, simple control etc, really poor.

4 hours ago, villa89 said:

Loses the ball so often its unreal. He really needs to improve on that. 

I was there today and I think he pretty much gave the ball away every time he had it. 

He was very, very poor today. Still, he gets in as a striker for me over Ings. Just offers that little bit more. 

Â