Ollie Watkins

alreadyexists

4 minutes ago, CroVillan said:

Our club, 2 years ago our best player sold for 100m how did that turn out? 

Months later the manager got sacked, and the club went from mid table to relegation candidate. 

• Thanks 3

Just now, viivvaa66 said:

Months later the manager got sacked, and the club went from mid table to relegation candidate. 

Talking about the sale of the player, the finances involved and players purchased for that transfer fee.

This whole conversation was based on Unai’s ability to be able to coach and transform a player. You’re comparing chalk and cheese 

4 minutes ago, viivvaa66 said:

Thanks, saved me the trouble!

Also of course Grealish wanted CL football and there was no chance of us offering him that. The tables are a bit turned in the current circumstances.

21 minutes ago, briny_ear said:

Can you give me an example of a “team on the rise” that has successfully applied such a model in, say, the past 20 years in the premier league?

Spurs 

Sold kane

Sold bale 

Sold modric

Sold berbatov

Sold walker

All in different seasons

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, briny_ear said:

OK, looks like this thread has gone silly for the summer. One to avoid!

Ahhh ffs Briny stop being so precious ffs. I’m not here to start an argument or have conflict. I threw up a question and some people got their knickers in a not. 
you don’t agree with me and I don’t agree with you doesn’t mean I’m going to throw my toys out of the cot. 

😘

Ollie is irreplaceable. Not in terms of ability. But in terms of what he offers outside of that.  Durability on a ridiculous scale both in terms of cardio and injury avoidance. Willingness to run the channels when needed. Willingness to make runs for 90 mins even when the ball isnt going to him. And his suitability to Emerys system. 

You cannot get as effective a player anywhere for our system. 

And for anyone worrying that he sat there glum at the awards, then remember his personality. Very reserved at heart. Probably sat there thinking. Jesus, i dreamt of this moment when on loan at Weston. And now i am going to be in the Champions League. Taking it in calmly. Thats his nature. Not one for flash. 

1 minute ago, MWARLEY2 said:

Ollie is irreplaceable. Not in terms of ability. But in terms of what he offers outside of that.  Durability on a ridiculous scale both in terms of cardio and injury avoidance. Willingness to run the channels when needed. Willingness to make runs for 90 mins even when the ball isnt going to him. And his suitability to Emerys system. 

You cannot get as effective a player anywhere for our system. 

And for anyone worrying that he sat there glum at the awards, then remember his personality. Very reserved at heart. Probably sat there thinking. Jesus, i dreamt of this moment when on loan at Weston. And now i am going to be in the Champions League. Taking it in calmly. Thats his nature. Not one for flash. 

Quite possibly he was a bit embarrassed by the drunken behaviour all around him. Doubt very much if that is his bag.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, briny_ear said:

Quite possibly he was a bit embarrassed by the drunken behaviour all around him. Doubt very much if that is his bag.

Briny…..we still friends? 

6 minutes ago, brummybloke said:

Spurs 

Sold kane

Sold bale 

Sold modric

Sold berbatov

Sold walker

All in different seasons

Thats the difference between being run as a business and being run for success. 

Wes Edens gave Giannis a super max contract to keep him at the Bucks, despite everyone saying he needed to move to a bigger franchise. And won the NBA and got a ring. 

Spurs were brilliant at attracting talent but ultimately their business model just doesnt get sustained success. The players grow at the club, but then the club ultimately isnt willing to push the boat out to go further and they leave for a club that does. 

2 minutes ago, MWARLEY2 said:

Wes Edens gave Giannis a super max contract to keep him at the Bucks, despite everyone saying he needed to move to a bigger franchise. And won the NBA and got a ring. 

Spurs were brilliant at attracting talent but ultimately their business model just doesnt get sustained success. The players grow at the club, but then the club ultimately isnt willing to push the boat out to go further and they leave for a club that does. 

Also, I doubt whether Spurs would sign up to the description of being a “club on the rise”. 🙂

4 minutes ago, MWARLEY2 said:

Agree but majority of the sold said players wanted the move so I guess you could say they made the most of the situation. Bale and Modrić wanted the Real move and Kane to Bayern. 

which is where coaching and a positive environment comes into play. Spurs made huge sums off those sales they just invested poorly.

5 minutes ago, MWARLEY2 said:

I thought a clickbait site must have linked him with a move away given the comments but looking back a few pages and it's Villa fans causing the speculation.

Of course we aren't going to sell one of our best and most important players after reaching the Champions league, it's not just about the money, but the message that such an action would send out, Sawiris and Edens can't go like that

Only way it could possibly happen is if the player himself forced a move but he only signed a new conctract in October, so pretty sure he's not in the mind to do that, and doesn't seem the type anyway regardless of when he signed a new deal

At that awards thing Mings was also next to Watkins with a glum face too, so did Hause look rather pensive in one moment, the seconds later he was all smiles, Anna Patten from the women's team who is big Arsenal fan and fomer player was going crazy doing a dancewhilst Manchester City were winning in the background

'We did it my bro'

3bcb7b20-1241-11ef-931f-95bd5a76eb6f.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, romavillan said:

You don't get 5 or 6 top quality players for £150m, you'd have to spend most of it replacing Watkins 

As I said, that £150m plus the CL money, plus whatever from player sales, plus the latitude it buys to invest further - new player contracts amortised over 3-4 years. I don’t want him to go at all, but if he did go for silly money it would radically change the financial situation at the club (I think). 

7 hours ago, CroVillan said:

Ahhh ffs Briny stop being so precious ffs. I’m not here to start an argument or have conflict. I threw up a question and some people got their knickers in a not. 
you don’t agree with me and I don’t agree with you doesn’t mean I’m going to throw my toys out of the cot. 

😘

Oh dear, lost it lol, it's only a discussion, we ain't selling Watkins so just relax and enjoy the ride. 🤣

He is playing for a manager who has improved him so much as a player, his team mates have just voted him their player if the season and next season we will be playing in the Champions League. Man Utd will ditch their current manager, nearly all the squad are up for sale and might not be in Europe at all.

I know where I would want to be next season....

9 hours ago, brummybloke said:

Spurs 

Sold kane

Sold bale 

Sold modric

Sold berbatov

Sold walker

All in different seasons

giphy.gif?cid=6c09b952vy72z819g2k85jxwgt

Â