Ollie Watkins

alreadyexists

10 hours ago, WooJung said:

Passing it would've been the right thing to do there Hindsight is wonderful and we're all delighted he didn't, but there have been a few occasions this season in which there was a pass on and he shot instead. Overall I've been underwhelmed by Ollie this season, his decision making has been poor, his finishing has generally been poor (Saturday's goal aside) ans his touch and control have been way off. Hopefully this goal boosts his confidence and he can improve

I said a lot of this about him even last season. He was better as he had Grealish and we were flying (in parts) as a team, but I find him so frustrating to watch. He's not an intelligent player.

• Like 1

I think we need to give time to the front 3 and let Gerrard and team get them playing how we want them. At Rangers he did have that 4 3 2 1 system with two strikers, so it's expected a little rotation during the game between Watkins and Ings and also an expectation that Watkins cuts in early to make a 2nd CF and create space in wide areas. 

This will take time as needs the front line getting experience together. I think the focus is Defence > Midfield > Attack for Gerrard. Stop conceding goals, get the Midfield balance correct and then get the attacking game sorted.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, foreveryoung said:

He don't like a tackle either. Was watching him in the  Brighton game, not once did I see him put a tackle in or chase a ball he lost.

Yeah this is slightly concerning. Last year he was a Vardy like hassle to play against. For a while now he’s been powder puff and I can’t think why as it’s one of the strengths of his game. There was a moment in second half when he was clear favourite to get to a long ball first near Trinity touch line and still defender beat him to it. Just showed more desire. Was getting pelters from the crowd then scored a brilliant goal 5 mins later! 

Overall thought he was poor on the left doesn’t have anywhere near the basic technique required to play that position. Came alive a bit upfront (trying to prove a point?). Part of what changed the game for us. 

34 minutes ago, villaglint said:

Yeah this is slightly concerning. Last year he was a Vardy like hassle to play against. For a while now he’s been powder puff and I can’t think why as it’s one of the strengths of his game. There was a moment in second half when he was clear favourite to get to a long ball first near Trinity touch line and still defender beat him to it. Just showed more desire. Was getting pelters from the crowd then scored a brilliant goal 5 mins later! 

Overall thought he was poor on the left doesn’t have anywhere near the basic technique required to play that position. Came alive a bit upfront (trying to prove a point?). Part of what changed the game for us. 

Just the most presses of anyone in the team with 24...

The problem was starting him on the wing as opposed to anything else. He's a striker and we've better wing options being kept out of the team when he's there.

13 hours ago, spiezels said:

Jeeesus Christ, just enjoy the screamer lads. 

Yes a bit pointless this. You want strikers to shoot. I am sick of it when they pass the buck.  He tries that all the time in training and he had an opportunity to execute it and he did it perfectly. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, lexicon said:

Just the most presses of anyone in the team with 24...

The problem was starting him on the wing as opposed to anything else. He's a striker and we've better wing options being kept out of the team when he's there.

I think he starts there again at the weekend until The others get to grips with the pressing game

2 hours ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Still frame shows the one split second where a pass to a team mate was on, "should have squared it"

Football fan logic. Just hit X on the pad ffs. 

hmmm... it was completely obvious in real time too. 

I'm mostly having trouble when it comes to his decision making, he does seem to get into Trez levels of blind alleys of late when there is a clear pass on. I'm not sure what's up with him lately.

Yes he scored a good goal and that will help his confidence, but Jesus Christ man, pass the ball instead of constantly trying to run through three players.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Mister_a said:

I'm mostly having trouble when it comes to his decision making, he does seem to get into Trez levels of blind alleys of late when there is a clear pass on. I'm not sure what's up with him lately.

Yes he scored a good goal and that will help his confidence, but Jesus Christ man, pass the ball instead of constantly trying to run through three players.

He is not the only one doing that. Buendia and Bailie are just as bad.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

If i'm honest, I don't think Ollie is as " naturally talented " as some, his thing is more hard work and making himself a nuisance.

Basically, he's not an elite or top tier " striker " IMO, but an all round very good player if that makes any sense.

If/when we go up another level, he could soon become a squad player.

I do love him though, but there are things he obviously needs to work on, but i'm not sure the deficiencies he does have, can necessarily be " worked on " at this stage.

Having said that, I think it's desperation to get a goal which triggers some of that " decision making ".

If we want to be really critical, we could say, on another day, that gets saved, or goes wide/high, potentially costing us points.

However, the thing is, Leon could possibly have fluffed it as well ( Unlikely from the advantage of position to be fair ).

Anyway, happy with how it turned out.

Yes, this discussion of whether he should've passed in spite of scoring is absurd.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, AVTuco said:

Yes, this discussion of whether he should've passed in spite of scoring is absurd.

just seems like picking faults for no reason. I find all the negativity surrounding Watkins absurd.  Hes the best pressing centre forward in the game. 

A number of our players are being judged on the old standards of play. We had become a fairly pedestrian bunch who clearly weren't at tip top fitness. We didn't press, we didn't pass on the ground enough and our front guys got very little service.

Ollie suffered from this decline more than most, because he had hardly anything to run in behind for, and athleticism is one of his major strengths.

I'm going to wait until Gerard and his coaches have had a few weeks to change the fitness and shape of our team before making judgements on players going forward.

• Like 2

I been wondering what you lot are on about so watched it again and Watkins did the right thing shooting. There’s defender tracking back full speed and also another defender that can easily move his body in front of Bailey during the time the ball would take to come across to him.  If he made that pass you’d all now be saying why didn’t he shoot.   

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I been wondering what you lot are on about so watched it again and Watkins did the right thing shooting. There’s defender tracking back full speed and also another defender that can easily move his body in front of Bailey during the time the ball would take to come across to him.  If he made that pass you’d all now be saying why didn’t he shoot.   

He earned the right to take it on. If i was his manager and he passed in that situation i would go mental. The defenders blocked the keepers view and they made it so he could see that far corner. Perfect set up for a screamer like that . 

2 hours ago, PaulC said:

just seems like picking faults for no reason. I find all the negativity surrounding Watkins absurd.  Hes the best pressing centre forward in the game. 

People just calling it as they see it. As I said, he's not an intelligent player and it can be very frustrating to watch.

Â