Ollie Watkins

alreadyexists

4 hours ago, Villan_of_oz said:

Whilst I agree with the last bit, I do feel Tekkers just had his confidence smashed at Liverpool, he showed glimpses since but with us he was sensational. He truly carried us!

Not in the final at wembley against Arsenal ,he didn't.....He became the ghost of Benteke and has since became, in the main.....only just lately, after all that time has he shown any sign of the form he did with us.

appears a very moody character.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Laughable Chimp said:

You could also argue that its impressive he looked so good considering no one on his team was helping him. 

Peak Benteke was better than whatever Ollie has shown for us. The problem with Benteke is that he could be a wildly inconsistent player across seasons. Jury's still out on Ollie in that regard.

Ollie has better movement and press...when the team clicks Ollie will start scoring again.

3 hours ago, Laughable Chimp said:

You could also argue that its impressive he looked so good considering no one on his team was helping him. 

Peak Benteke was better than whatever Ollie has shown for us. The problem with Benteke is that he could be a wildly inconsistent player across seasons. Jury's still out on Ollie in that regard.

I agree Benteke had more talent but Watkins work rate is on a different level. 

• Like 2

On 03/12/2021 at 08:24, villalad21 said:

Or Benteke looked better because of the dross that was around him.

There's a reason to why he didn't survive at Liverpool and has been a mid table player for most of his career.

Whereas Watkins has more to his game imo.

Fair- Benteke was definitely a confidence player and he was oozing it when he played for us and has never really recovered it since. But prime fully confident Benteke gets into this team above Watkins for me.

Some of the goals he scored were ridiculous- the West Brom feint and rocket shot, the Norwich overhead kick; the Liverpool solo run. That’s not just standing out in a bad team- I can’t imagine Ollie scoring any goals of that kind of quality right now. But maybe he’ll prove me wrong and develop rapidly in the next couple of years

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, JPJCB said:

Fair- Benteke was definitely a confidence player and he was oozing it when he played for us and has never really recovered it since. But prime fully confident Benteke gets into this team above Watkins for me.

Some of the goals he scored were ridiculous- the West Brom feint and rocket shot, the Norwich overhead kick; the Liverpool solo run. That’s not just standing out in a bad team- I can’t imagine Ollie scoring any goals of that kind of quality right now. But maybe he’ll prove me wrong and develop rapidly in the next couple of years

I don't think he does.

Benteke is a strict target man and you need to play a very specific way to get the most out of him. Which is why he failed at a possession based team like Liverpool.

So by nature he is a limited player.

Watkins got far more to his game and can adapt to any style imo.

• Like 1

I love Ollie. He is class and his work-rate is immense, but he is no 2012-13 Benteke. At that time, there were legitimate arguments regarding Benteke's potential to be one of the best (actively playing) strikers in the world. Ollie is great and when in form deserves to be leading the line, but he's not yet on that level IMO. Nonetheless quite fitting that both Watkins and Benteke tore Liverpool to shreds...

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Zatman said:

Unsurprising but its so obvious you never watched Benteke play for Villa 

Maybe Benteke stood out more because the rest of the team was so bad.

Fact is he's been a lower half to a mid table player for most his career, and he failed to make the step up at Liverpool.

Liverpool probably didn't play to his strengths but as a top player you've got to have the ability to adapt to any system.

Edited by villalad21

1 minute ago, villalad21 said:

Maybe Benteke stood out more because the rest of the team was so bad.

Fact is he's been a lower half to a mid table player for most his career, and he failed to make the step up at Liverpool.

Liverpool probably didn't play to his strengths but as a top player you've got to have the ability to adapt to any system.

Yes the classic change the subject when you are wrong approach

• Like 2

Benteke hasnt lived up to his potential. His goal scoring record for Palace is 1 in every 4/12 games.  He wasnt good enough for Liverpool and Klopp has been proved right.  Watkins although mid twenties has the potential with his attitude to do a Vardy and will ened up being the better player. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, PaulC said:

Benteke hasnt lived up to his potential. His goal scoring record for Palace is 1 in every 4/12 games.  He wasnt good enough for Liverpool and Klopp has been proved right.  Watkins although mid twenties has the potential with his attitude to do a Vardy and will ened up being the better player. 

He is the 45th highest goalscorer in Premier League history ahead of players like Fernando Torres and Eden Hazard and one behind Bergkamp. He will probably be in the top 40 by the end of the season 

37 minutes ago, Zatman said:

He is the 45th highest goalscorer in Premier League history ahead of players like Fernando Torres and Eden Hazard and one behind Bergkamp. He will probably be in the top 40 by the end of the season 

Behind James Beattie and Kevin Phillips 

On 04/12/2021 at 11:11, a-k said:

I love Ollie. He is class and his work-rate is immense, but he is no 2012-13 Benteke. At that time, there were legitimate arguments regarding Benteke's potential to be one of the best (actively playing) strikers in the world. Ollie is great and when in form deserves to be leading the line, but he's not yet on that level IMO. Nonetheless quite fitting that both Watkins and Benteke tore Liverpool to shreds...

Klopp's criticism of Benteke was aimed at his movement or lack of it.....you can't play at the highest level without it.

Benteke did really well for us, in a role that suited us at the time and him.

Benteke never had the movement required to be potentially one of the best in the world....He just did well for a spell, in the bubble of the Premeir league....world class strikers don't put in performances,  like the one he did at Wembley against Arsenal.

At Villa, Benteke was central to our play, like Jack was.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

Just now, Rightdm00 said:

Love your hustle Ollie but if you aren't going to bury a clear 1v1 please pass to your wide open teammate. 

Didn't we saw from the resultant corner? Thread would've been very busy tonight if we'd drawn or lost!

Overall he was good again so got over the early season slump out of his system.

Â