Ollie Watkins

alreadyexists

2 hours ago, useless said:

Have to say I didn't think he was that bad yesterday, there have been much worse performances from players playing on our left win in recent seasons. It seems to me because he lost the ball a few times people are focusing on that and forgetting the good that he did, another way of looking at it is he had a much better game than Ings, yet is getting more criticism than Ings because people are focusing on a few bad moments, Ings didn't have any bad moments because he didn't get into the game.

He also was completely isolated when he received the ball 9 times out of 10. It’s hardly a surprise that a player who is out on the wing on his own with 3 defenders around him gives the ball away more often than not.

Ings didn’t look very fit to me with the overhit touch when played through and his general pressing not being there. Playing in not your natural position when the striker isn’t offering much help isn’t easy.

For me Watkins up front should be one of the first names on the team sheet. He’d get enough goals and he leads the press so well. The signing of Ings for the money he cost is one that I struggle to get my head around when Watkins showed the consistency he had last season.

Steven Gerrard: 'World class' strike can spark Aston Villa's Ollie Watkins

By Matt MaherAston VillaPublished: Just now

Villa boss Steven Gerrard believes Ollie Watkins’ “world class” goal against Brighton can spark the striker’s season and boost his England ambitions.

Gerrard said: “I know Ollie has got big aspirations and dreams of being involved in the England set-up so that goal, finish and performance will do him no harm.

“I’m sure Gareth (Southgate) will see that. Gareth knows this football club extremely well but he (Watkins) has got to fight.

“There is a lot of competition there for places and it’s my job and the staff’s job to give him every bit of support he needs.

“That was a world class finish, without a shadow of a doubt. With the score 0-0 and the first goal the most important, it was just pure quality.”

https://www.expressandstar.com/sport/football/aston-villa/2021/11/21/steven-gerrard-reckons-world-class-strike-can-spark-aston-villas-ollie-watkins/

• Like 3

I didn't think he was that bad on the left. He's always been good at holding up the ball and I saw some of that. However, he tried dribbling a few times when he should have passed.

When it comes to scoring goals, clearly he is more comfortable in the centre.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, TomC said:

I didn't think he was that bad on the left. He's always been good at holding up the ball and I saw some of that. However, he tried dribbling a few times when he should have passed.

When it comes to scoring goals, clearly he is more comfortable in the centre.

He's ok on the left, but it's not his position.

In Gerrard's post match interview, he's talking about the Watkins goal and says "there's no better sight in football than when you see your number 9 open up". Ignoring the fact that he wears 11, that probably shows where Gerrard thinks Watkins should be playing.

The Ings v Watkins dynamic is going to be the biggest headache for Gerrard this season, as it was for Smith. Watkins clearly looks best as lone striker in a 4-3-3. Ings clearly looks best in a front 2. They can both do a job in other setups, but the question is how much you get out of them.

Be really interested to see how Gerrard handles it, because this is the kind of thing that really tests a manager.

• Like 3

On 21/11/2021 at 22:25, Vive_La_Villa said:

Great goal but I reckon a top keeper would have saved that. You could see what his body was shaping to do a mile away. 

Did have little bit of confidence before the match that Sanchez was out. He's one of the better keepers in the PL

2 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

Did have little bit of confidence before the match that Sanchez was out. He's one of the better keepers in the PL

Yeh I had massive confidence because of that and was a little disappointed we wernt trying to work their goalie more by putting crossing on top of him. He was flapping. 

9 hours ago, KentVillan said:

He's ok on the left, but it's not his position.

In Gerrard's post match interview, he's talking about the Watkins goal and says "there's no better sight in football than when you see your number 9 open up". Ignoring the fact that he wears 11, that probably shows where Gerrard thinks Watkins should be playing.

The Ings v Watkins dynamic is going to be the biggest headache for Gerrard this season, as it was for Smith. Watkins clearly looks best as lone striker in a 4-3-3. Ings clearly looks best in a front 2. They can both do a job in other setups, but the question is how much you get out of them.

Be really interested to see how Gerrard handles it, because this is the kind of thing that really tests a manager.

Was probably because Ings went off and Watkins was playing the number 9 role when he scored - nothing more to it than that really.

22 hours ago, lexicon said:

Nah - too much power

A top keeper would have already been diving before Ollie took the shot. Again not taking anything away from the finish and not many keepers would have a hope. But the top keepers would have been already across to have a big hand on that. 

Edited by Vive_La_Villa

1 hour ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

It's one of the best strikes i've ever seen him hit, and if i'm honest, didn't think he had that in his locker.

I'm sure myself, like many others, were screaming at him for not laying it off at first.

It was an almost perfect strike mate, I could argue a better keeper possibly gets a touch on it ( Unless they were in the right position already ), but the placement and power would still give that a high chance of sticking anyway IMO.

Agree with this - it was a belter. Very few keepers would get anything on it. 

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, AntrimBlack said:

We were crying out for a top class striker as back up for Watkins.

We bought Ings - so what's the problem.

He is a great sub to have, and will possibly get starts dependent on opposition and injuries.

Because spending 25m and 120k a week over 4 years on a 29yr old who isn't a first choice to start is poor business for a club who is bound by FFP laws and who badly needed another central midfielder in the Summer.

We're not in a position to be spending what we have on Ings for him not to work out or command a starting place in the team. The money would have been better spent on a young-ish striker happy to learn his trade and come in and do a job for say, 10m, and then put the remainder of the money towards a midfielder or a left back. 

In my humble opinion of course. 

Edited by Delphinho123
  • Like 3

27 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

Because spending 25m and 120k a week over 4 years on a 29yr old who isn't a first choice to start is poor business for a club who is bound by FFP laws and who badly needed another central midfielder in the Summer.

We're not in a position to be spending what we have on Ings for him not to work out or command a starting place in the team. The money would have been better spent on a young-ish striker happy to learn his trade and come in and do a job for say, 10m, and then put the remainder of the money towards a midfielder or a left back. 

In my humble opinion of course. 

All good points, of course.

But if Watkins is out for a number of games, do we really want a youngish £10m striker leading the line.

We already have Archer for that role.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

It's one of the best strikes i've ever seen him hit, and if i'm honest, didn't think he had that in his locker.

I'm sure myself, like many others, were screaming at him for not laying it off at first.

It was an almost perfect strike mate, I could argue a better keeper possibly gets a touch on it ( Unless they were in the right position already ), but the placement and power would still give that a high chance of sticking anyway IMO.

I have seen a fan video from directly behind where he hit it . No chance for any keeper as it was past before he could blink 

• Like 1

Â