Ollie Watkins

alreadyexists

3 minutes ago, AntrimBlack said:

All good points, of course.

But if Watkins is out for a number of games, do we really want a youngish £10m striker leading the line.

We already have Archer for that role.

I highly doubt Ings would have joined if the "sell" was for him to play second fiddle to Ollie Watkins. Was always an odd signing and there were some suggestions it was to mask the impending negativity surrounding Grealish's departure. Ings is proven to be one of the best finishers in the league. Our issue is we can only really start one or the other to get the best out of them individually. I'm just not sure how long Ings would hang around if he's benched every game. 

Watkins has looked off all season. I didn't like the ssshing the crowd after he scored his first goal in front of our home crowd and his fitness looked, and still does in my opinion, well off what it was. Watch him when another player scores for us, he isn't ever that bothered by the looks of it. Now, most players you could argue may appear this way, but there's players in our team who are delighted for others when they score. Ollie is a strong minded forward who wants to be the main man and score all the goals. Not a bad mindset to have providing things are going well, but this can bae limiting to us when things aren't going too well. Great goal on Saturday but if he doesn't score that then I'm sure there'll have been plenty of gripes about his poor overall performance. That said, I think the best way to get him scoring regularly is by playing him in his best position, the front of the three forwards, for a run of games. Gerrard was waxing lyrical about him post match so I expect him to start that way and Ings to potentially be benched. Although whether or not we start Bailey will have an affect on this too.

I honestly thought Ollie was going to be subbed when Bailey came on, I have a sneaking suspicion that Ollie may have thought this himself if you watch it back I think he's asking the bench if it's him they want off. Bloody glad he stayed on!

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Brumstopdogs said:

I thought Brighton players passed out... Brighton were tough to break down and got caught on counter and all that energy Brighton players spent, Watkins goes and scores and players just ragdolled to the floor. I honestly thought medical teams may be needed the way they dropped.

20 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

So did majority of posters on game thread before goal it seemed

He was getting pelters from around me. He is a "9" or nothing at this level I feel and must be massively frustrated after last season and getting in and around the England set up to be pushed out left!

The front roll is a tragically under-used sign of disappointment. Armed with this new info, I for one will be trying my utmost to resurrect its rightful place: in frustrating work meetings, failed sales pitches, and when Starbucks run out of cinnamon swirls. 

And the crowd rolled its way to despair. 

14 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

I know he scored but he really should be passing it there regardless.

Screenshot 2021-11-23 at 11.22.44-min.png

Completely agree. I've seen him far too many times with the ball in a dangerous position, opting to shoot instead of finding the pass and spanking the ball into the legs of the defender or out for a goal kick.

Edited by AV82

12 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

I have faith that this will be pointed out to him in the post match debrief. It's nice that he scored and regained confidence but the objectively higher percentage chance of scoring as a team was to make the pass.

It's not a glaring error as he still got a strong foot shot from inside the area at a good angle but our new coaching team have already mentioned looking for marginal gains a few times and over the course of a season this type of decision is one of those gains that could be made.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, YouUnastanFren said:

I have faith that this will be pointed out to him in the post match debrief. It's nice that he scored and regained confidence but the objectively higher percentage chance of scoring as a team was to make the pass.

It's not a glaring error as he still got a strong foot shot from inside the area at a good angle but our new coaching team have already mentioned looking for marginal gains a few times and over the course of a season this type of decision is one of those gains that could be made.

Yeah, it's hard to criticise as he scored but no matter what level you play at, whether you're Messi or Ronaldo or playing in a pub team you have to be passing it there. Ultimately, him making better decisions in key areas like that will make him a better player.  

1 hour ago, PieFacE said:

Agreed, but more often than not he tends to go on the outside and take a difficult shot at least he went int the inside this time and wrapped his foot around it,  but yes Bailey is in for an easy finish 

19 hours ago, MaVilla said:

the goal aside, i think he had a really poor game.

Was played out of position for most of it.

The whole Brighton game just reinforced what we already knew: we don't have a system in which Watkins and Ings can play effectively together. 

They need to be used in rotation, or one as a regular impact sub. They just can't be shoehorned together into a 4-3-3, or a 4-4-2, or any derivation of those systems.

16 minutes ago, TheMelvillan said:

well I for one am glad he shot. because he scored a goal, and goals are good

I'm happy he scored because goals are good and it has already happened but adjudging decisions by the success of the outcome rather than their probability of success will be detrimental in the long term.

I would prefer him to pass in an identical situation in the future.

The two options (shoot and pass) have not got greatly differing probability of success here but think of it like this: you sold your house and placed your life savings on number 10 on a roulette table and won. Was this a sensible decision? No. Was it a successful outcome? Yes. Because it was successful should you lump all of your money onto number 10 again? No

Â