Ollie Watkins

alreadyexists

10 minutes ago, gwi1890 said:

Probably his best goal for us

2 minutes ago, rbcuk said:

Took his goal well, apart from that I thought he was crap all game, takes far to many touches to get it under control 

Agreed with both of this. There's absolutely no way I'd have kept the faith with him, and I think Ings returning form injury is the only reason Watkins stayed on. He was appalling for 80 minutes. What a **** goal though. I was screaming at him to play in Bailey or El Ghazi, did not see that finish coming at all.

We know what he can do, so I really hope it kickstarts his season 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Davkaus said:

Agreed with both of this. There's absolutely no way I'd have kept the faith with him, and I think Ings returning form injury is the only reason Watkins stayed on. He was appalling for 80 minutes. What a **** goal though. I was screaming at him to play in Bailey or El Ghazi, did not see that finish coming at all.

We know what he can do, so I really hope it kickstarts his season 

I disagree, worth noting it was always Ings who got hooked by Dean also. Ollie offers a lot more especially if we’re going one up top and he proved it again today. I always get such a buzz when he scores

• Like 1

Watkins is not a winger at this level, and he doesn’t seem suited to a front 2 either.

He should be starting as lone striker, and then Ings will have to work around that - either as a 10 or an inverted winger or on the bench.

I wonder if Gerrard will be tempted by AEG - Watkins - Bailey as his front 3. Need to get back to those inverted wingers in a front 3 that did so well last season, and then Watkins will start scoring again.

• Like 3

Interesting comments from Ollie:

The standards have gone up under Gerrard'

FT: Aston Villa 2-0 Brighton

f6ea3c69-98f2-4657-9128-35fca1ac6b38.jpg

Aston Villa

Aston Villa striker Ollie Watkins to Match of the Day: “It was nice. I try and do that every time in training and luckily it went in today. It was a nice feeling to get my first goal in front of the Holte End.

“Brighton must have had 65% possession - they are a very good team and controlled the game. It was hard for us because it was the first game back after some results. It was nice to see the game out after losing a 2-0 lead against Wolves the other week.

“It has been a change but it has been really good. It has been intense and the standards have gone up - that is no disrespect to Dean Smith but he’s brought in some new rules and everybody was on it.

“I’ll be here all day if I was to say the rules - there are quite a few.”

FB_IMG_1637439161395.jpg

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 1

i understand the comments re playing him in X position.

But...he scored that goal from the inside left forward position.........so tbh saying he can/cant play in X/Y position clearly isnt exactly right.

16 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

i understand the comments re playing him in X position.

But...he scored that goal from the inside left forward position.........so tbh saying he can/cant play in X/Y position clearly isnt exactly right.

It is. Every attack broke down. He either lost the ball miscontrolled it ran into a defender repeatedly. 

3 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

It is. Every attack broke down. He either lost the ball miscontrolled it ran into a defender repeatedly. 

ye, but even when he plays as a central striker he seems to like drifting to the left.

I agree  he isnt a winger in terms of control/passing/retention etc.

4 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

Playing between the lines as he was today is not it. I'd like to see him and Ings swap places as Ings is much better on the ball and Watkins can lead the line.

47 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Interesting comments from Ollie:

The standards have gone up under Gerrard'

FT: Aston Villa 2-0 Brighton

f6ea3c69-98f2-4657-9128-35fca1ac6b38.jpg

Aston Villa

Aston Villa striker Ollie Watkins to Match of the Day: “It was nice. I try and do that every time in training and luckily it went in today. It was a nice feeling to get my first goal in front of the Holte End.

“Brighton must have had 65% possession - they are a very good team and controlled the game. It was hard for us because it was the first game back after some results. It was nice to see the game out after losing a 2-0 lead against Wolves the other week.

“It has been a change but it has been really good. It has been intense and the standards have gone up - that is no disrespect to Dean Smith but he’s brought in some new rules and everybody was on it.

“I’ll be here all day if I was to say the rules - there are quite a few.”

FB_IMG_1637439161395.jpg

has anyone got this interview vid!?!?, i cant find it anywhere.

Ollie looks like a player who has totally lost all of his confidence. It’s painful to watch him sometimes as you can see him over thinking everything, rather than just naturally playing his game. Hopefully the goal will do him good. He is a good player when he is on form. 

He has to play down the middle though. I know that he tends to drift into the left channel a lot but that is different to playing as a dedicated left forward. He is not good enough. His goal was actually a good example of this. He played with his head down and never looked up once. His whole focus was getting into a position to get his shot away, which of course he did do brilliantly but if we are being hypocritical he should have passed to Bailey who would have had a simple tap in. He is technically not good enough to play as a left forward and he doesn’t have the intelligence to play there either. He is what he is which is a hard working, nuisance of a nine who will score goals if he gets enough chances.

We need to let him play down the middle and make sure that whatever we do behind him is dedicated to getting the best out of him. Where that leaves Ings, who knows. I would happily sell him and replace him with a Young up and coming player who is happy to play back up to Ollie.

His confidence clearly took a hit with Ings arriving: I think Ollie saw himself as a nailed-on starter. I don’t understand the need to fit them both in the team at the same time tbh: we’ve got two quality players who can vie for the centre forward position. Happy days: if we need something else, Davis comes on. 

Bailey / Traore and AEG/Buendia either side. 

If Gerard’s brief is ‘get Ings and Watkins in the team and firing’, I think he’s being sent down a blind alley. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, maxjackle said:

I would drop ings and play Watkins central if bailey is fit, otherwise Watkins left ings centre. 

Think I'm in the minority of prioritising Watkins over ings though.

You’re not on your own though. Watkins has to start centrally, he was outstanding last season as the lone striker. He needs his confidence back, and that means playing the role he knows best. 

For me that means Ings on the bench, or shoehorned into the left.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, maxjackle said:

I would drop ings and play Watkins central if bailey is fit, otherwise Watkins left ings centre. 

Think I'm in the minority of prioritising Watkins over ings though.

On paper, you’d select Ings all day. But Ollie has delivered for us in the past and must be given the driver’s seat. It’s up to Ings to get into the team for me.

• Like 1

Â