Ollie Watkins

alreadyexists

19 hours ago, lexicon said:

Leicester are at a higher level than us with more games, so it's a lot easier to attract players and rotate them - that's a very big point. 

The issue we have is that managing a squad isn't easy and the better the players we have are, the more they're going to want to play and will be disgruntled if they're not. Ings is a very good player but the signing has left us with 2 strikers who should be first choice, neither would be happy to sit on the bench, and quite clearly 2 up front doesn't work so well for us. 

The point I was making is that you can't have a squad full of quality players that are all of equal talent because you can't keep them happy. 

It's not really equal quality though. Bailey has played at higher level in his career generally than El Ghazi has so he'll always start if those two are competiting for one spot, exactly like who El Ghazi was vying with for on the left side last season.

And again Luiz at DM is simply a much better option than Nakamba.

Think Ollie needs to have a look at himself if he's really playing his face. He's been poor lately and needs to remember he's playing for a manager who backs him to the hilt. Many others would've already benched him.

If we're to ever get close to top 6 again soon we simply need two good strikers in the squad at least. Suppose the only odd thing is we went for proven one like Ings when generally the profile was perhaps more for young up and coming striker who could also play wide if needed like Alvarez who we were strongly linked with.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

It's not really equal quality though. Bailey has played at higher level in his career generally than El Ghazi has so he'll always start if those two are competiting for one spot, exactly like who El Ghazi was vying with for on the left side last season.

And again Luiz at DM is simply a much better option than Nakamba.

Think Ollie needs to have a look at himself if he's really playing his face. He's been poor lately and needs to remember he's playing for a manager who backs him to the hilt. Many others would've already benched him.

If we're to ever get close to top 6 again soon we simply need two good strikers in the squad at least. Suppose the only odd thing is we went for proven one like Ings when generally the profile was perhaps more for young up and coming striker who could also play wide if needed like Alvarez who we were strongly linked with.

That's pretty much exactly the point I was trying to make tbh. Agree with you 100%.

• Like 1

Why after every goal we concede is Watkins pointing fingers at everyone and making arguments. Why after every chance from a set piece is he mouthing off to all and sundry for I presume not doing their jobs.

The guy needs to wind his neck in and STFU. He's absolute bad vibes atm.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, rodders0223 said:

Why after every goal we concede is Watkins pointing fingers at everyone and making arguments. Why after every chance from a set piece is he mouthing off to all and sundry for I presume not doing their jobs.

The guy needs to wind his neck in and STFU. He's absolute bad vibes atm.

I've not noticed this. Crazy.

A poorly struck effort that was lucky to end up in the back of the net today, I feel quite a few of his goals have been like that. I don't doubt his effort and his energy, but technically, I'm not sure he'll ever convince me.

Edited by Tom13

1 hour ago, briny_ear said:

Looked like it was to the crowd, but whether aimed at Villa or West Ham fans couldn’t be seen on the telly.

I’m almost sure it was at the Lower North which means 95% of them were Villa fans.

Poor form if he’s making gestures as Villa fans telling him to get a move on or whatever they were saying.

• Sad 1

3 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

Rashford picked ahead of him for England.  Guess he was always just keeping that space warm for him.

He cant really complain on current form not that Rashford has done much 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Zatman said:

He cant really complain on current form not that Rashford has done much 

Rashford's played 2 games since coming back from his shoulder operation. But it's okay he plays for one of the big 4.

Not that I would pick Watkins anyway.

13 hours ago, zenda said:

Is Ollie a sulker? I don't like his body-language at times, notwithstanding the lack of service we give him. Don't think Mr Conte will be looking to sign him any time soon though. 

No he's not, nor has he ever been. 

• Like 2

It is the difficult second album phase for Ollie at the moment.

He is also not used to playing in front of 40,000 fans at every home games post pandemic season. He was previously at Brentford old ground which was about 10,000 and Exeter's ground in which the biggest stand is called a cow shed. 

Edited by The Fun Factory

9 minutes ago, lexicon said:

Agree - such a strange narrative being invented about Ollie at the moment. 

It's strange only in the sense that he never has been a sulker.  But he is definitely cutting a very frustrated figure at the moment,.  It may be understandable given the paucity of service we've given him,  but it is still very unlike him.

Maybe due to new kid = bad sleep syndrome. Makes most people cranky I guess.

Hopefully his flukey goal will give him some confidence for tonight.

Â