Ollie Watkins

alreadyexists

6 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

I think like most he had a shit pre season, an injury, missed games rather than settling in and is still not at 100%

The problem is we have too many players in the same boat

He looks well off 100% match sharpness. 

If never-injured, super fit machine Ollie Watkins can suffer from lack of sharpness like this due to a bad preseason and injury, where does that leave our other 2 record signings Bailey and Buendia who also had a similar experience? Not to mention are having to settle into a new club, coming from a different league. 

31 minutes ago, lexicon said:

He doesn't need a kick up the arse - he hasn't done anything wrong this season 🤨

Honestly?  He’s been pretty poor this season-whether through lack of fitness or trying to shoehorn both him and Ings into the team.  

He defo needs a kick up the arse. 

Gerrard joins at a time when most of the players who have been woefully out of form and fitness should now be up to speed.

Hope he cranks up the training/fitness regime as even with a crap preseason and all the other issues our players look way off where the should be in terms of intensity and ability to press.

Watkins is not alone in looking a shadow of his former self.

• 2 weeks later...

Oh Ollie you're so frustrating. Again I thought his performance was quite poor but his goal is what I want to see more of, just trying to run at players and shoot.

Still nowhere near his best but hopefully that can give him a bit of a boost. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Farlz said:

Oh Ollie you're so frustrating. Again I thought his performance was quite poor but his goal is what I want to see more of, just trying to run at players and shoot.

Still nowhere near his best but hopefully that can give him a bit of a boost. 

Exactly this. Incredibly frustrating, but great goal.

He seemed a mix of lazy, lost and low on confidence and then exploded. Crazy he took the shot on really 9/10 he'd do it and it was the better option but he scored and that's all that matters and he won us the game in the end. Hopefully he's found his confidence again now.

He should be playing through the middle as first choice, he was our best attacker last season besides Grealish, given that we lost Grealish, never really made sense to me to then also lose what we had with Watkins by giving him a different role, when he was so good playing as the lone striker last season so much so that he got into the England team. Ings signing surprised me, but didn't mind it as I thought he'd be someone we'd brought in as back up or to come off the bench, but surely not to replace Watkins.

Needs a run of games now in his best position to play himself into better form.

• Like 2

Â